Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Vocal microphones

<< < (31/38) > >>

Don T. Williams:
I'll admit that I haven't searched the entire thread, but looking back a few pages I saw no mention of the sE V7.  I just used one again last night in what might be called "a non critical" situation.  This was as a podium mic in a ballroom where I've tried many different Shure, Sennheiser, AKG and other mics.  The sE got me the best gain before feedback AND quality of sound I've ever had in that room.  At $99.00 street it should be checked out.  Justin Timberlake's capsule on his wireless for the 2018 Superbowl half-time was a sE V7.  And yes I am a dealer, but I don't sell on line.  I'm not trying to sell you one, I just letting you know about a really good product.

Eric Snodgrass:

--- Quote from: Don T. Williams on April 05, 2019, 04:46:33 PM ---I'll admit that I haven't searched the entire thread, but looking back a few pages I saw no mention of the sE V7.  I just used one again last night in what might be called "a non critical" situation.  This was as a podium mic in a ballroom where I've tried many different Shure, Sennheiser, AKG and other mics.  The sE got me the best gain before feedback AND quality of sound I've ever had in that room.  At $99.00 street it should be checked out.  Justin Timberlake's capsule on his wireless for the 2018 Superbowl half-time was a sE V7.  And yes I am a dealer, but I don't sell on line.  I'm not trying to sell you one, I just letting you know about a really good product.

--- End quote ---

I own the wired version of an sE V7.  I can see it being put to good use as a lectern mic - it has a supercardioid pattern and its frequency pickup pattern includes a healthy low-end proximity effect, which gives it a nice boost to the low and low-mid frequencies even when a person speaking is 6-inches away from it.  I could imagine that low-boost giving the impression of roundness of sound to a lectern setup that is not always there when using other microphone choices for lecterns.  I'll have to try it on a lectern sometime.
In my experience with this mic it's that low-end proximity effect that makes it more of a specialty microphone rather than an all-around choice for vocals.  I've done a vocal mic shootout with the sE V7 using a male baritone and female mezzo-soprano.  The proximity effect was much too pronounced on the baritone voice but it was nice on the mezzo-soprano, giving her voice more body and smoothing out her very slight nasal tone.  I could imagine it being really good on a performer such as Justin Timberlake or Alanis Morissette, performers with voices not known for their vocal lower registers. 
The issue I have with the wired sE V7 is the handling noise of the microphone body.  From my recollection the amount of handling noise is about the same as a Shure Beta 58 but the sE V7 handling noise reproduces much lower frequencies, making a high-pass filter mandatory for that microphone when it's used as a handheld.  My perception of the handling noise was that it was low enough to be reproduced in the subwoofer range of frequencies.
I have used it on saxophone and quite liked it. I'll be trying it on other instruments to find out where I think it will be best used. 
So, as I said, for me it's a specialty microphone.  It's worth the price to have one in your mic collection. 

Helge A Bentsen:
DPA Microphones 2028.

I got one to try out for a couple of gigs, ended up buying it. Highly recommended.

Geert Friedhof:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on September 27, 2019, 09:57:14 PM ---DPA Microphones 2028.

I got one to try out for a couple of gigs, ended up buying it. Highly recommended.

--- End quote ---

I am eyeballing those. Could you write a review, maybe comparing them to some other mics?

Adam Tews:
A year or two ago, Sennheiser put the e945 ($219 street) on sale for $99.  I bought one to give it a go.  Never heard one before.

Plugged it in and WOW.  So far I've only used it for announcing, but it's got a big, clear, powerful sound that really punches through the mix.  Great mid focus and highs, and no low-mid mud like you get on a 58.  It does suffer from a bit of handling noise and also picks up some deep bass, so definitely high-pass the sucker! 

For refined vocal sound, I use a Neumann KMS-104.  It's fairly flat and I've found it benefits from some HF boost; but its response is very smooth in the highs, so it can take this boost and not sound harsh...  It just sounds airy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version