ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124439 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2019, 04:46:33 PM »

I'll admit that I haven't searched the entire thread, but looking back a few pages I saw no mention of the sE V7.  I just used one again last night in what might be called "a non critical" situation.  This was as a podium mic in a ballroom where I've tried many different Shure, Sennheiser, AKG and other mics.  The sE got me the best gain before feedback AND quality of sound I've ever had in that room.  At $99.00 street it should be checked out.  Justin Timberlake's capsule on his wireless for the 2018 Superbowl half-time was a sE V7.  And yes I am a dealer, but I don't sell on line.  I'm not trying to sell you one, I just letting you know about a really good product.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »

I'll admit that I haven't searched the entire thread, but looking back a few pages I saw no mention of the sE V7.  I just used one again last night in what might be called "a non critical" situation.  This was as a podium mic in a ballroom where I've tried many different Shure, Sennheiser, AKG and other mics.  The sE got me the best gain before feedback AND quality of sound I've ever had in that room.  At $99.00 street it should be checked out.  Justin Timberlake's capsule on his wireless for the 2018 Superbowl half-time was a sE V7.  And yes I am a dealer, but I don't sell on line.  I'm not trying to sell you one, I just letting you know about a really good product.

I own the wired version of an sE V7.  I can see it being put to good use as a lectern mic - it has a supercardioid pattern and its frequency pickup pattern includes a healthy low-end proximity effect, which gives it a nice boost to the low and low-mid frequencies even when a person speaking is 6-inches away from it.  I could imagine that low-boost giving the impression of roundness of sound to a lectern setup that is not always there when using other microphone choices for lecterns.  I'll have to try it on a lectern sometime.
In my experience with this mic it's that low-end proximity effect that makes it more of a specialty microphone rather than an all-around choice for vocals.  I've done a vocal mic shootout with the sE V7 using a male baritone and female mezzo-soprano.  The proximity effect was much too pronounced on the baritone voice but it was nice on the mezzo-soprano, giving her voice more body and smoothing out her very slight nasal tone.  I could imagine it being really good on a performer such as Justin Timberlake or Alanis Morissette, performers with voices not known for their vocal lower registers. 
The issue I have with the wired sE V7 is the handling noise of the microphone body.  From my recollection the amount of handling noise is about the same as a Shure Beta 58 but the sE V7 handling noise reproduces much lower frequencies, making a high-pass filter mandatory for that microphone when it's used as a handheld.  My perception of the handling noise was that it was low enough to be reproduced in the subwoofer range of frequencies.
I have used it on saxophone and quite liked it. I'll be trying it on other instruments to find out where I think it will be best used. 
So, as I said, for me it's a specialty microphone.  It's worth the price to have one in your mic collection. 

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »

DPA Microphones 2028.

I got one to try out for a couple of gigs, ended up buying it. Highly recommended.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2019, 03:27:40 AM »

DPA Microphones 2028.

I got one to try out for a couple of gigs, ended up buying it. Highly recommended.

I am eyeballing those. Could you write a review, maybe comparing them to some other mics?

Adam Tews

« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »

A year or two ago, Sennheiser put the e945 ($219 street) on sale for $99.  I bought one to give it a go.  Never heard one before.

Plugged it in and WOW.  So far I've only used it for announcing, but it's got a big, clear, powerful sound that really punches through the mix.  Great mid focus and highs, and no low-mid mud like you get on a 58.  It does suffer from a bit of handling noise and also picks up some deep bass, so definitely high-pass the sucker! 

For refined vocal sound, I use a Neumann KMS-104.  It's fairly flat and I've found it benefits from some HF boost; but its response is very smooth in the highs, so it can take this boost and not sound harsh...  It just sounds airy.

Ed Taylor

« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »

A year or two ago, Sennheiser put the e945 ($219 street) on sale for $99.  I bought one to give it a go.  Never heard one before.

Plugged it in and WOW.  So far I've only used it for announcing, but it's got a big, clear, powerful sound that really punches through the mix.  Great mid focus and highs, and no low-mid mud like you get on a 58.  It does suffer from a bit of handling noise and also picks up some deep bass, so definitely high-pass the sucker! 

For refined vocal sound, I use a Neumann KMS-104.  It's fairly flat and I've found it benefits from some HF boost; but its response is very smooth in the highs, so it can take this boost and not sound harsh...  It just sounds airy.

yep, my distributor is good to call me when he's got a Senn promo.. and I seldom pass em up.. I've got I think 3 or 4 of those 945s..and I do like them personally.

but to be honest, most semi-pro folks walking in, just want to know that there are some beta58s in my box..somehow having a fist full of those ratifies me as a capable company..it's sadly funny but I've seen it more than once be true...frankly I'd prefer to just go with the old faithful sm58 rather than a beta depending on the vocalist. But after an initial sound check, if the artist will let me, I ask them to try one of my better grade mics..long as my approach is humble/gentle, they usually allow it and smile at the result.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2020, 02:58:06 PM »

yep, my distributor is good to call me when he's got a Senn promo.. and I seldom pass em up.. I've got I think 3 or 4 of those 945s..and I do like them personally.

but to be honest, most semi-pro folks walking in, just want to know that there are some beta58s in my box..somehow having a fist full of those ratifies me as a capable company..it's sadly funny but I've seen it more than once be true...frankly I'd prefer to just go with the old faithful sm58 rather than a beta depending on the vocalist. But after an initial sound check, if the artist will let me, I ask them to try one of my better grade mics..long as my approach is humble/gentle, they usually allow it and smile at the result.

I did a band at a wedding last fall. The lead singer brought his own Shure Super 55. I put the rest of the guys on e035's and 945's. I pleaded with the singer to use one of my mics but he was insistent that the Super 55 was 'part of his look for the performance"

Final result was the backing VOX sounded great and cut right through the mix while I fought feedback and mud with the lead VOX all night long.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:31:31 AM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Ed Taylor

« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2020, 03:31:03 PM »

I did a band at a wedding last fall. The lead singer brought his own Shure Super 55. I put the rest of the guys on e035's and 945's. I pleaded with the singer to use one of my mics but he was insistent that the Super 55 was 'part of his look for the performance"

Final result was the backing VOX sounded great and cut right through the mic while I fought feedback and mud with the lead VOX all night long.

feel your pain.

Jim Thorn

• State College, PA
« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2020, 02:18:15 PM »

Final result was the backing VOX sounded great and cut right through the mix while I fought feedback and mud with the lead VOX all night long.

Holy cow!  I had the same situation, and just assumed that the lead singers mic had been trashed.  I'm really relieved to hear that it may just be the characteristic of that model.  After the gig, I told her that I was fighting to keep her vocal up front all night, and I asked if she liked it for its flattering effect on her voice.

"No.  I just think it looks cool."

We'll use my mics next time.

Jim Thorn
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!"

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2020, 03:33:36 PM »

"No.  I just think it looks cool."

Yep perfect reason to choose a vocal mic, right up there with "it's just like the mic so and so used in their music video".

Don't get me started on what shows up for some band supplied wireless mics.

To stay on topic my normal go to vocal mic picks in no particular order
just based on the best fit are:

AT AE6100
Audix OM6
Audix OM7
Sennheiser E945

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2020, 03:33:36 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.