ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124423 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2016, 06:31:10 AM »

Most of my work is in one 300 cap venue, with various acts passing through.

Nothing wrong with 58s, where I started, and they keep everyone who doesn't bring their own mic happy.

I tried D5s a couple of years ago - sounded OK, but too much popping with some talent, and the super-cardoid pattern made feedback a periodic challenge with wedges, also raised a few eyebrows - moved on.

Moved to e935s early 2015 and am happy.  They sound better than the 58s and can just be thrown into any situation pretty safely.  Can't see a need to change.

Still keep a few 58s for the acts that, sadly, insist on them.

I keep eyeballing the E9x5 mics. I can't find a bad review on those. Not cheap, though, and I'd want lots of them.
Buying 5 x e935 did hurt at the time but, as ever, that memory fades as the joy of ownership/use takes over.

As it did with the 3 x e906 that I picked up a little earlier.  Still trying to justify a set of e904, mind...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:34:19 AM by Alec Spence »

George Dougherty

« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2016, 05:48:59 PM »

Still trying to justify a set of e904, mind...

You won't be sorry.  I go back and forth between the 904's and a set of 908's I picked up on toms.  Even used a 908 on snare with very nice results.  Love the 908's as I can use them on toms or swap the clips and use them as horn mics.  Pull the preamp and I can plug them right into a ew500 bodypack for wireless horn players.

Mal Brown

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »

Om5's and 6's are my front line.  My personl vocal mic is the vX-5.  My lady singer and I love them.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

John Chiara

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2016, 02:05:35 AM »

Most of my work is in one 300 cap venue, with various acts passing through.

Nothing wrong with 58s, where I started, and they keep everyone who doesn't bring their own mic happy.

I tried D5s a couple of years ago - sounded OK, but too much popping with some talent, and the super-cardoid pattern made feedback a periodic challenge with wedges, also raised a few eyebrows - moved on.

Moved to e935s early 2015 and am happy.  They sound better than the 58s and can just be thrown into any situation pretty safely.  Can't see a need to change.

Still keep a few 58s for the acts that, sadly, insist on them.
Buying 5 x e935 did hurt at the time but, as ever, that memory fades as the joy of ownership/use takes over.

As it did with the 3 x e906 that I picked up a little earlier.  Still trying to justify a set of e904, mind...
Big fan of the Senn instrument mics. To me, the normal Senn. High end 'hype' doesn't flatter on higher end systems. Always sounds artificial.

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »

I've heard enough people say good things about e835's that I went with two: One wired and one wireless.

They're supposed to have better side rejection, but maybe I'm just "better" at getting more gain before feedback with SM58's. They're supposed to sound more natural, but I think my clients just want to sound like SM58's.

I would be happy to try other mics, but to Shure's benefit, it's just not working out for me when it comes to vocal mics. Otherwise, I don't mind an Audix i5 instrument mic and Audix drum mics, AKG kick never got a complaint.

And when the "winning" mic costs a $100, should I even be upset I can't find a better alternative?

Steve Garris

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »

I've heard enough people say good things about e835's that I went with two: One wired and one wireless.

They're supposed to have better side rejection, but maybe I'm just "better" at getting more gain before feedback with SM58's. They're supposed to sound more natural, but I think my clients just want to sound like SM58's.

I would be happy to try other mics, but to Shure's benefit, it's just not working out for me when it comes to vocal mics. Otherwise, I don't mind an Audix i5 instrument mic and Audix drum mics, AKG kick never got a complaint.

And when the "winning" mic costs a $100, should I even be upset I can't find a better alternative?

I bought a 3 pack last year, really liking the sound - especially on my voice. When I set them up at the club, I found I needed to still do considerable EQ'ing to get them to sound right. One night, I could not tame a high frequency ring, and ended up going back to my 58's. The Senn's are a decent utility mic, but I find I'm not using them any longer. They've been moved to my practice room for now.

John Schalk

« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »

Does the e935 fit into a Shure mic clip?  I have mostly Shure mics in part for the convenience of just having one mic clip to worry about.  Not really interested in the extra expense of adding quick releases to all of my stands and clips, so I am looking for dynamic vocal mic options that will fit into Shure clips.  And yes, the SM58 is the obvious answer :)  I have one, but it might be nice to expand my range if I can do it without complicating the setup.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »

I just recently tried, and love, the sE V7.  Though sE is well know for their condenser and ribbon mics, this was my first introduction to their hand held vocal mic.  It's handling noise is extremely low and it is very smooth with good gain before feedback.  With a $99 street price, it deserves a look.

A mic I have used and sold a lot of that you may not know about is the Superlux C1 (with a switch) or D1 (without a switch).  I have employees in "screamo" bands and they have introduced this mic to a lot of other "screamo" groups.  All of those "singers" say it is the best mic they have ever used and is incredibly rugged! 

Don't let the "screamo" thing bias your opinion. I have found the C1/D1 to be a very good all round vocal mic (at least equal to the better know units), and I think I can get more gain before feedback on this mic than any other mic (under $300.00) I have tried.  It is my podium mic of choice if the size is not a problem.  They are a real deal at less than $60.00 most places, and you can buy a pack of (5) for a even better deal.

Steve Garris

« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2017, 02:50:09 PM »

Does the e935 fit into a Shure mic clip?  I have mostly Shure mics in part for the convenience of just having one mic clip to worry about.  Not really interested in the extra expense of adding quick releases to all of my stands and clips, so I am looking for dynamic vocal mic options that will fit into Shure clips.  And yes, the SM58 is the obvious answer :)  I have one, but it might be nice to expand my range if I can do it without complicating the setup.

I'm pretty sure the e935 body is the same as the 835 body, which fits nicely in a Shure clip. I'm looking to try the 935 myself.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »

I'm looking for a mic tonally similar to the e935 but with better feedback rejection. I'm looking to try the following mics :-

EV ND86
EV ND96
Miktek PM9
Telefunken M80

I've tried the Heil mics, Sennheiser E945 and Audix OM6 and none of these suited the vocalist I work with.

Has anyone compared any of the mics on my list to try?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.