ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124434 times)

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 03:25:20 AM »

My own small collection:
- SM58 (3) : the standard, but far from my favorite. Good on back vocals, and sometimes the best fit for some voices.
- SM86 (2) : my default go-to mic for lead vocal. Open, clear, smooth. Needs few EQ and fits most voices. Can be used by inexperienced singers. May lack warmth.
- Sennheiser E935 (1): could be my go-to mic if I had not discovered the SM86 before. I bought one because it has more low end and a less pronounced presennce peak than most vocal mics. Good fit on voices that are already quite open or harsh. Good complement to the SM86 as they sound different but are of similar quality.
- Sennheiser E835 (1): was there when I entered in my venue. Not too bad for the price, has a good low end, smooth, but appears muddy when compared to the E935. Half the price, half the quality.
- AKG C535 (1) : I do not like it much on voices: too thin. I prefer the SM86.
- Beyer M88 (1) : great low end, but needs experienced singers and is not isolated from vibrations. I rarely use it on vocals, but as everybody found out, there are tons of other applications where it shines.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »

Currently my band has 4 AKG D880s(lead singer's parents owned them and we ended up with them...); they are ok on some voices but most of the time I don't like them on our lead singer or the other guy who sings lead sometimes. I regularly mix the same singer at the church he works at and they have some 835s, I really like them on his voice and plan to get a couple soon. I've also mixed on some SM86s and liked them though that was on an unfamiliar rig so I don't know how they'd do with our setup. I really liked one on our lead singer's sister who sings bg vocals most of the time and lead occasionally; I'm planning on getting one of those too at some point.

Brian Lemmon

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 04:52:37 PM »

Our collection of vocal mics are:
Heil PR35 - great rear rejection; sounds great
Sennheiser e935 & e945; pretty even and smooth sounding
Sennheier e835's

Pretty much used in that order. The 835's rarely make it out of the mic case anymore.

Stephen Craig Underwood

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 07:47:08 PM »

I used an Audix OM 7 for quite a few years and now I'm using an EV 967. What other mics would you recommend for someone who likes to eat the mic?

Thanks, Stephen
Stephen Underwood

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 10:26:50 PM »

I used an Audix OM 7 for quite a few years and now I'm using an EV 967. What other mics would you recommend for someone who likes to eat the mic?
The Heil PR22 does well in my experience.

Jesse gray

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »

I use multiple brands of mics, but this is the list so far:

6 sm-58's ( I run them outdoors, i don't particularly care for them)

Heil pr-30 ( i love the clarity of this mic on vocals)

Audio technica at-500

sennheiser 835-935

beta 58a

beta 87a

Tomm Williams

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »

Unlike many on this forum, I just wasn't that impressed with the PR35.......sorry. I've used a number of mics over the years and have found the following to be quite useful for my situation.

General use 835's
Jazz/smooth bluesy stuff. Senn 431
Great all around. 935's
Loud stage  EV 967 only because I only have one 857. I really like the 857, wish they were easier to find.
My personal mic is a Beyer M400

Mark G. Hinge

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »

For the band, Heil PR35 for me, Shure SM58s for the other two mic stands, and a Shure condenser headset mic behind the drums (XLR, can’t remember the model #).  I also have a Blue encore 200 I’ve yet to use out, probably ‘cause it looks too gawdy. 

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:11:53 PM by Mark G. Hinge »

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »

If not limited to wired mic, I want to put forth the Line 6 wireless mic with their own Line 6 voicing model. I found it to be very clear for male voice.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »

...Loud stage  EV 967 only because I only have one 857. I really like the 857, wish they were easier to find...

+1 to the 857.  Got one for Christmas when I was 12 years old.  Fast forward 14 years and it's in pretty rough shape--internal shock mount is falling apart--probably will try to build a new one. 

Love the 857 for voice-over and announce work, vocalists with bad mic-technique, and have had especially good results with a certain lead-singer-drummer I've worked with who sings very quietly.  After trying SM58, Beta58 and Sennheiser 845 w/ mediocre results, finally through the 857 on him and will never go back.

Called EV to inquire about servicing/refurbishing, and their only option was to trade it in and get a "discount" on 767a at $100.  Since the 767 can be easily had for $130, and I doubt is a true replacement for the 857, I don't really see how they're helping me out. 

Needless to say I kept my 857 and will continue to use it with care to make the most of its remaining life.  If I ever see another one for sale, I'll snatch it up in a heartbeat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.