ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using another Yamaha desk to recall scenes on LS9-32  (Read 7217 times)

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
Using another Yamaha desk to recall scenes on LS9-32
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »

Can it be done?

Looking to recall stored scenes on an LS9 at the same time as scenes are recalled on another desk, possibly a DM 2000.

Does not have to be bidirectional, and no other parameters than scenes need to be recalled.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Using another Yamaha desk to recall scenes on LS9-32
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:30:49 PM »

Easy-peasy.
Connect a MIDI cable between the master console's MIDI out and the LS9's MIDI in.
Set the master console to transmit Program Change messages in the MIDI setup page.
Set the LS9 console to receive Program Change messages in it's MIDI setup page.

If the messages are not 1 to 1 then there is a table that can be edited on the LS9 so that (for example) recalling scene 5 on the master console recalls scene 1 on the LS9.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »

Easy-peasy.
Connect a MIDI cable between the master console's MIDI out and the LS9's MIDI in.
Set the master console to transmit Program Change messages in the MIDI setup page.
Set the LS9 console to receive Program Change messages in it's MIDI setup page.

If the messages are not 1 to 1 then there is a table that can be edited on the LS9 so that (for example) recalling scene 5 on the master console recalls scene 1 on the LS9.

Perfect! Thank you for the swift reply :)

Can scenes be stored in the same fashion, also?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »

If what you mean is that when you press Store on the master console, the LS9 will store it's scene, that's a bit more tricky.
It can be done, certainly, but making it ONLY respond to the Store message and no others would require a computer in line doing some filtering.
-Andy

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »

If what you mean is that when you press Store on the master console, the LS9 will store it's scene, that's a bit more tricky.
It can be done, certainly, but making it ONLY respond to the Store message and no others would require a computer in line doing some filtering.

Thanks again :)

I'm looking for the LS9 to store "scene 13" when "scene 13" is stored on the master.  The way I'm reading you post, it can be done easily, but it will involve the LS9 responding to other stuff, as well?

Or it can be complicated, and the slave will respond ONLY to recall/store?

In the "easy scenario", what other things would the slave respond to?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:49:40 PM by kristianjohnsen »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »

Depends on your definition of "easy" :) Easiest is to use 2 LS9 consoles and the Cascade function.

But thinking about it some more, if the 2 consoles are different models, there's no way to have one's control signals control the other without a computer and a piece of MIDI filtering/translating software in the middle. Different models don't speak the same "language"...

To do what you want with 2 LS9 consoles, read up on the Cascade function (page 211 of the LS9 manual), connect the MIDI ports and set the cascade comm link to "all". This also connects the cue function, layer and mute group selections.
-Andy

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »

Depends on your definition of "easy" :) Easiest is to use 2 LS9 consoles and the Cascade function.

But thinking about it some more, if the 2 consoles are different models, there's no way to have one's control signals control the other without a computer and a piece of MIDI filtering/translating software in the middle. Different models don't speak the same "language"...

To do what you want with 2 LS9 consoles, read up on the Cascade function (page 211 of the LS9 manual), connect the MIDI ports and set the cascade comm link to "all". This also connects the cue function, layer and mute group selections.

I was just reading up on that, thinking that using two LS9s would make this easy.  Hoping there was a way to make a DM2000 put out similar info to what the master LS9 is putting put.

Speaking of cascading like-model mixers:  I was just reading about running these types of desks in "redundancy mode" where one desk exactly mirrors the other. Interestingly, that type of connection is claimed to not be able to store scenes, only recall.  No idea as to why that would be, though...

Also, in the cascade instructions for the LS9, it is mentioned that one can send the control info via the YGDAI slots.  Any ideas as to what cards that would be?  Would DANTE cards work?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:59:52 PM by kristianjohnsen »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »

I was just reading up on that, thinking that using two LS9s would make this easy.  Hoping there was a way to make a DM2000 put out similar info to what the master LS9 is putting put.
Yes, but it's quite difficult and probably not worth the effort.

Speaking of cascading like-model mixers:  I was just reading about running these types of desks in "redundancy mode" where one desk exactly mirrors the other. Interestingly, that type of connection is claimed to not be able to store scenes, only recall.  No idea as to why that would be, though...
If you're talking about this guide then I would expect storing to store on both consoles. To know for sure, you can try the mirrored setup with 2 identical consoles and see.

Also, in the cascade instructions for the LS9, it is mentioned that one can send the control info via the YGDAI slots.  Any ideas as to what cards that would be?  Would DANTE cards work?
Cards that send/receive MIDI. The old mLAN cards were designed to do that, but not sure which ones (if any) do now.
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »

I think it's possible to do MIDI over Ethersound.
-Andy

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 05:51:39 AM »

Yes, but it's quite difficult and probably not worth the effort.
If you're talking about this guide then I would expect storing to store on both consoles. To know for sure, you can try the mirrored setup with 2 identical consoles and see.
Cards that send/receive MIDI. The old mLAN cards were designed to do that, but not sure which ones (if any) do now.

Thanks again, Andy.

That's the document I was referring to :)  The only two identical desks I have access to right now are two 01v96's, but according to the document, I should be able to try the redundancy mode with those.

The "expect storing to store on"- sentence went over my head!  Could you elaborate? :)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »

You were saying that recalling on one console would recall on the other, but storing on one would not store on the other. I would expect that to be untrue, and that pressing store on one console would initiate a store on the other as well.
If you end up trying it, I'd be curious to know.
-Andy

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »

You were saying that recalling on one console would recall on the other, but storing on one would not store on the other. I would expect that to be untrue, and that pressing store on one console would initiate a store on the other as well.
If you end up trying it, I'd be curious to know.

I see what you meant now! :)

It's this paragraph from the redundancy guide that has me a little unsure:

"Because of the MIDI connections, any mixing parameter that is edited on Console #1 will also be changed on Console #2, and vice versa: they will completely mirror each other. Also when a Scene is recalled on one console, the same will be recalled on the other console.
But one thing to remember is that if any Scenes or Libraries are modified and Stored on one console during a show rehearsal or sound-check, then an ALL DATA file should be saved onto the memory card and transferred into the other console (or use Studio Manager to transfer the session file). It is important to keep all the memories synchronised so that when a Scene is recalled, all the mixing parameters on both consoles will be identical".

I hope to find the opportunity to try it with the two 01v96's I have here, and will post the results if I do!

Thanks again for your time.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »

I would expect more things to mirror than they claim, but I haven't tested it.

It is true that you'd want to make sure that both consoles have identical show files loaded before you start.
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.