ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic stands used for system measurements  (Read 13318 times)

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
Re: Mic stands used for system measurements
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 11:34:05 pm »

A cheaper alternative...You could put an extension pole like this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546540-REG/099B_3-SEC_EXT_POLE_35-92_BLK
on the Manfrotto Nano stand I and others mentioned here previously.  I do recommend putting a sandbag on the tripod legs for added stability.  The Nano stand gets the mic pretty high, but the extension pole gets it really high!  In going so high off the floor with your test mic, be careful that the mic doesn't end up being outside of the intended coverage of the loudspeaker(s) being measured.

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 04:33:18 pm »

For the sake of portability and light weight, I carry a bunch of the Manfrotto 5001B Nano light stands with a 5/8" to 3/8" adapter for a standard mic clip.  The spread on the tripod legs is adjustable to fit easily between rows of seats.  If I know that the venue has a bunch of boom arm mic stands, then I'll use those as well.

Where can I buy the 5/8 & 3/8 adapter for the Manfrotoo 5001b stand?  I'm using the earthworks m23 mics.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:14:58 pm by Johnny Diaz »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 04:42:41 pm »

Shure makes one that goes to 15',
Mac

Mac....

I hesitate to contradict any of your recommendations, but I was given a pristine pair of the Shure stands you linked.  After using them for a couple of gigs, I was ready to give them to someone else.  While they are nice and light and go high, the clutches on them are a severe PITA.  Even the winged compression fittings for the tripod extensions are lousy.

All in all, a good design poorly implemented.

DR
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 08:10:56 pm »

Where can I buy the 5/8 & 3/8 adapter for the Manfrotoo 5001b stand?  I'm using the earthworks m23 mics.
Here you go!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284333-REG/manfrotto_miba_female_3_8_to_5_8_.html

And a good mic choice, I have four M23's in addition to my three M30's!  Four of the M23 fit perfectly in an Otterbox 3000 box, complete with windscreens.

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 11:07:17 pm »

Here you go!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284333-REG/manfrotto_miba_female_3_8_to_5_8_.html

And a good mic choice, I have four M23's in addition to my three M30's!  Four of the M23 fit perfectly in an Otterbox 3000 box, complete with windscreens.

Thanks.  Will this adapter fit the earthworks m23mics?

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 11:27:50 pm »

Thanks.  Will this adapter fit the earthworks m23mics?
The outside thread of this adapter fits any standard 5/8" mic stand adapter, including the ones that come with the earthworks microphones.  The inside thread of this adapter fits on the stud of the Manfrotto Nano stand.

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:32 pm »

The other way to deal with the ground plane is to use it, getting your mic 1/16" away from a large smooth flat surface. This moves the only reflections way up in frequency (way down in wavelength).

Mac

What do you carry Mac? Lucite? Plywood?  How large a piece?
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 06:53:37 pm »

I have used the top to a road trunk or a console case.

Another technique I use is to take an ear level measurement which would include reflections, then move the mic straight up about 3 feet and look for what moves on the display.
Jay Barracato

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 08:12:09 pm »

Use the floor.  For club type gigs with a stacked PA, this might not work unless you can get far enough away to get a good representation of what's happening at head level, on the floor.  It's possible the microphone could be somewhat out of the HF vertical pattern.  Flown PA, particularly line arrays with downward aiming elements, no prob.  You can use the floor with confidence.  I take a number of measurements and average them together.

In a theater, particularly a soft seater, I set a microphone up at head level and don't worry about the ground plane.  The reflections are generally diffuse enough to make this work.  Again, the more measurements to average together, the better.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 09:56:03 pm »

So I got the Manfrotto 5001B 74-Inch Nano Stand with the Manfrotto MIBA 3/8-Inch F to 5/8-Inch M 15mm Microphone Thread and when I screw the Earthworks M23 mic stand to the adapter and than to the nano stand it has a little play not snug.  Is this how it should be?  My previous mic bom stand it was nice and snug no play all.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 09:56:03 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.