ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic stands used for system measurements  (Read 17688 times)

Johnny Diaz

Mic stands used for system measurements
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »

I will be purchasing some new mic stands for doing measurements soon and wanted to see what you guys recommend.

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
Re: Mic stands used for system measurements
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »

I will be purchasing some new mic stands for doing measurements soon and wanted to see what you guys recommend.
For the sake of portability and light weight, I carry a bunch of the Manfrotto 5001B Nano light stands with a 5/8" to 3/8" adapter for a standard mic clip.  The spread on the tripod legs is adjustable to fit easily between rows of seats.  If I know that the venue has a bunch of boom arm mic stands, then I'll use those as well.

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 08:11:25 AM »

Nano Stand it is for me. Will fit in the back of a 19" case or most Peli cases.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:47:06 AM »

I have a small folding desktop stand that fits in my briefcase with the mics and the USB interface. It allows me to do ground plane or set it on a road case and is small enough that I always have it with me.

But it really is a backup. Since i am doing music events, it is rare that regular stands are not available.  If I have my own stuff I use a regular boom stand or grab one belonging to the venue.
Jay Barracato

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:11:37 AM »

It depends on exactly what sort of measurements and where you will be doing them.

For stadium alignments I use telescoping poles (like paint/cleaning poles) with clamps on one end to clamp on the back of the seats-you better not do that in a church on pews.

For inside I use the ultimate support heavy base stands that have the notch in them so they stack together and fit inside a cardboard tube that straps to my mic reel caddy.

The tripod stands are hard to get inbetween pews and such.

If you want to get a good ways away from the ground plane-you need a really tall stand.  We have one that gets about 18' high.

So as usual-it depends- on what you want to do
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Alfredo Prada

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »

If you want to get a good ways away from the ground plane-you need a really tall stand.  We have one that gets about 18' high.

[/quote]
Does this work on a hard floor like concrete? I don't own such a high stand but I would like to know, maybe I will get one.

Thanks.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »

Does this work on a hard floor like concrete? I don't own such a high stand but I would like to know, maybe I will get one.

Thanks.
It is a tripod for video or something.  I don't remember the name-but I think they are out of business.  I am sure others make a stand like it.

It goes down to around 4' tall and telescopes up in locking sections.  We've used it for years for all sorts of things.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »

It is a tripod for video or something.  I don't remember the name-but I think they are out of business.  I am sure others make a stand like it.

It goes down to around 4' tall and telescopes up in locking sections.  We've used it for years for all sorts of things.

Shure makes one that goes to 15', and there is a lightweight 4 section antenna stand I have used a lot in the past week that can have a mic mount on it, unfortunately I don't remember the manufacturer's name. It is the stand that is included in this stand kit from Professional Wireless Systems.

The other way to deal with the ground plane is to use it, getting your mic 1/16" away from a large smooth flat surface. This moves the only reflections way up in frequency (way down in wavelength).

Mac
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:46:58 PM by Mac Kerr »

Alfredo Prada

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »

Shure makes one that goes to 15', and there is a lightweight 4 section antenna stand I have used a lot in the past week that can have a mic mount on it, unfortunately I don't remember the manufacturer's name. It is the stand that is included in this stand kit from Professional Wireless Systems.

The other way to deal with the ground plane is to use it, getting your mic 1/16" away from a large smooth flat surface. This moves the only reflections way up in frequency (way down in wavelength).

Mac

Thanks Mac and Ivan

I will try a higher mic stand the next time I get a chance, I have used the ground plane mic way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.