ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new documentary on Hanley Sound  (Read 5217 times)

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
new documentary on Hanley Sound
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:32:04 AM »

I'm not sure what is going on with this documentary but it may be caught in that horrid position of requiring funding to pay for licensing (ala "The Wrecking Crew" and other documentaries) before it can be released for mass consumption.

http://www.thelastseatinthehouse.com/

We all need to see this !
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: new documentary on Hanley Sound
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:36:21 AM »

I'm not sure what is going on with this documentary but it may be caught in that horrid position of requiring funding to pay for licensing (ala "The Wrecking Crew" and other documentaries) before it can be released for mass consumption.

It has the makings of something good-especially for historic reasons.

It  appears as if there are a lot of clips and such-they REALLY need to be put together-before it/they are all "lost".

I would LOVE to see/buy it when complete-or even if not complete-a collection of clips.

This IS our history-and not that far removed from a lot of us.

The younger generation of "sound people" need to realize how hard it was in the beginning-and what these guys did for us.

As the saying goes "It may appear that I am big-but that is only because I am standing on the shoulders of GIANTS"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »

It has the makings of something good-especially for historic reasons.

It  appears as if there are a lot of clips and such-they REALLY need to be put together-before it/they are all "lost".

I would LOVE to see/buy it when complete-or even if not complete-a collection of clips.

This IS our history-and not that far removed from a lot of us.

The younger generation of "sound people" need to realize how hard it was in the beginning-and what these guys did for us.

As the saying goes "It may appear that I am big-but that is only because I am standing on the shoulders of GIANTS"

Indeed, indeed.

The quote attributed to Sir Isaac Newton, "If I have seen farther it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants" probably goes back much further, to Bernard of Chartres as attributed by John of Salisbury in 1159.  John said "...we are like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants, so that we can see more than they, and things at a greater distance, not by virtue of any sharpness of sight on our part, or any physical distinction, but because we are carried high and raised up by their giant size."

While the metaphor is physical, it doubtless applies to intellectual and artistic endeavors as well.  We build upon the ideas, research, products and creations of those that proceed us.  Their pioneering work allows us to develop greater understanding and different or better interpretations of the tasks and subjects before us.  The beneficial results there obtained come from "standing" on their shoulders.

It is, and should be, a humbling experience, too.

Now I need to go read a bunch of stuff by people far smarter and more observant than myself.  The kick start will do me good.

As for the Hanley vid... count me in.  Priceless stuff.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »

This is great! Thanks for sharing it Tom.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.