ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: daylight savings time  (Read 10465 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: daylight savings time
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »

Wow!  In over 30 years of playing music and doing sound all over the country, I have never run into an issue with Daylight Savings time!

Same here in England.

I answered without looking at the poster's location.  With questions of DST, I assumed we were speaking of the USA.

Remember, the rest of you are just working on an offset from our Greenwich Mean Time!!

Steve.
Steve.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:21:30 PM by Steve M Smith »

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »

I will take that bet and give you 100 to 1 odds as well.

I little insider information including the fact that Kristian doesn't live in the US.

Actually, you might win that bet even if he was in America.  The Federal Gov does not dictate that states use daylight savings time.  Neither Arizona or Hawaii have chosen to use it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:31:35 PM by Chuck Simon »

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »

The time changes officially happen at 0200, so there is no legal way to "shut them down an hour early in spring."  In the "Spring Forward", at 0200 it becomes 0300 - net effect is ziltch.  In the "Fall Back", at 0200 it becomes 0100 again.  I can't imagine any business not taking advantage of this, but I'm sure some exist.

I should have been clearer.. I worked in Atlanta where closing times were a bit different. They have been changed somewhat since I last worked regurlarly in bars but in the spring when 2 am became 3 am is what I was alluding to, with 3am being the closing time
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:25:03 PM by Kemper Watson »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »

This issue should never come up as a surprise.  It happens twice a year, and always on Sunday morning at 2:00AM.  Around here, bars can stay open until 2:30 AM, so it does happen during hours that the bar can be open.  So it needs to be made clear how it's going to be dealt with before hand.  Assumption on anybody's part is the wrong way to handle it.

If they want an extra hour of entertainment, it definitely should be compensated for.  I'd be willing to bet that none of the other employees in the establishment are working that one extra hour for free.  If they want the same rate, then move the starting time back one hour so the total hours played are the same.  If you're looking to argue, ask them if you play during spring forward, if you'd get to pack up an hour early and still get the same pay.  Doubt that would fly well either.

Brian Jojade

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 02:29:23 AM »

Last night I was providing for a band playing in a club. At 1:45 the band tells the audience good night. The manager throws a fit, tells them they have to play until 2:45, because, since it's daylight savings time "fall back", they get to stay open another hour, so the band has to play. Anyone else run into this? We stayed and played, making it a long night. They played from 9:45pm to 2:45am, with 4 15 minute breaks, I played mp3's on the breaks. Somebody from the club (it's a local chain) was supposed to contact the bands, but they had not contacted anyone from this band. I thought I was gonna get an extra hour of sleep!

What would have happened if the band had refused to play any longer? Would the club have refused payment in full? After the first 4 hours, had they not earned their pay and fulfilled their agreement? They could have unplugged at that point and demanded payment.

This is why it's a bad idea to NOT have a contract.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:34:33 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 02:29:23 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.