ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting Yamaha S115 into Stage Monitor  (Read 12433 times)

Travis Dean TenKley

Converting Yamaha S115 into Stage Monitor
« on: August 25, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »

I currently have about 8 yamaha s115's that I want to convert into monitors.  Does anyone have any plans or ideas on how to make a stand or bracket of sorts to convert these into monitors?  I kind of figured I'd have to use wood and not metal because of the noise factor and it needs to be sturdy enough for singers "accidentally" standing on them:)  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Converting Yamaha S115 into Stage Monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »

I currently have about 8 yamaha s115's that I want to convert into monitors.  Does anyone have any plans or ideas on how to make a stand or bracket of sorts to convert these into monitors?  I kind of figured I'd have to use wood and not metal because of the noise factor and it needs to be sturdy enough for singers "accidentally" standing on them:)  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Are you wanting a stand-or to cut them up (ie chop off one side) to get a better angle?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Travis Dean TenKley

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »

Are you wanting a stand-or to cut them up (ie chop off one side) to get a better angle?
I 'd rather have a stand of some kind if it's possible to make one that's sturdy enough for stage use.  Just seeing if anyone has ever done this before.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »

I 'd rather have a stand of some kind if it's possible to make one that's sturdy enough for stage use.  Just seeing if anyone has ever done this before.
So take 2 pieces of wood for the sides-then use 2 more pieces (as the bottom and back pieces) and put them at whatever angle you want.

Now how strong you want it to be depends on your tools-skills-budget etc. 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:40:02 AM »

Several options...

1. Cut out triangle-shaped pieces and use long enough screws to mount them to the side at the angle you want...

2. Cut the back and fabricate a piece to create a monitor angle (not recommended, I have a buddy trying this with some old SP2's...)

3. Build new cabinets that would match the specs of the drivers (probably the best bet)
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »

Sell them and buy SM115s.

Travis Dean TenKley

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »

Sell them and buy SM115s.
Thanks for the replies.  Not the answers I was looking for but thanks anyway.  I'll just figure it out.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  Not the answers I was looking for but thanks anyway.  I'll just figure it out.

Mike and Ivan's suggestions seem perfectly reasonably.  There are only so many options available. 
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »

Then what answer were you looking for?  Tell us then since you know what answer you were looking for ::)
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Travis Dean TenKley

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:15 PM »

Then what answer were you looking for?  Tell us then since you know what answer you were looking for ::)
I was just seeing if someone out there has built a frame for these before, if so, what the specs are.  I'm assuming it's more than just hammering a couple 2x4's together.  Aren't there specific angles that are required for monitors?  Things like that.
Not a big deal.  I can figure it out just thought someone might have done this before.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.