ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: how do I get rid of the "puh" sound?  (Read 9246 times)

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
how do I get rid of the "puh" sound?
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:52:02 am »

I provided sound last night for a 3 piece all-girl bluegrass(progressive) band. I don't run a lot of show ever year, maybe half a dozen. I have what I would consider a decent rig, SRX715 Mains, 2 SRX718's, DRPA+, Crown Amps, EV Foldback, SL 24.4.2...

For whatever reason I feel like I get an excessive amount of energy when anyone says or sings anything with a "p" in it. The girl singing, the MC making announcements, etc... I got a lot of compliments on the show last night and I feel really good about most of it but for the life of me I could not figure out how to get rid of that freaking "puh" sound. I had that mic (SM58) High passed and I thought that would get rid of it since it seemed like the noise was coming from the subs but that didn't seem to help. I even raised the freq until it started affecting the way the singer sounded (150-180Hz) to see if that helped and I can't say it made an audible difference. I messed around a little with the parametric but everything else in the show was sounding really good so I decided to leave it how it was. I think I'm the one who noticed the most (obviously) but I'd sure love to know how to smooth that out without taking a giant cut somewhere. Any of you guys had that experience or have any pointers on how to remedy it?

TIA.
Ryan Davis

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: how do I get rid of the "puh" sound?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:20:59 am »

I provided sound last night for a 3 piece all-girl bluegrass(progressive) band. I don't run a lot of show ever year, maybe half a dozen. I have what I would consider a decent rig, SRX715 Mains, 2 SRX718's, DRPA+, Crown Amps, EV Foldback, SL 24.4.2...

For whatever reason I feel like I get an excessive amount of energy when anyone says or sings anything with a "p" in it. The girl singing, the MC making announcements, etc... I got a lot of compliments on the show last night and I feel really good about most of it but for the life of me I could not figure out how to get rid of that freaking "puh" sound. I had that mic (SM58) High passed and I thought that would get rid of it since it seemed like the noise was coming from the subs but that didn't seem to help. I even raised the freq until it started affecting the way the singer sounded (150-180Hz) to see if that helped and I can't say it made an audible difference. I messed around a little with the parametric but everything else in the show was sounding really good so I decided to leave it how it was. I think I'm the one who noticed the most (obviously) but I'd sure love to know how to smooth that out without taking a giant cut somewhere. Any of you guys had that experience or have any pointers on how to remedy it?

TIA.

Adding a windscreen will help, but the best all around live technique is ...

mic technique.

If you are on a one off show, there might not be much you can do, but if the band is someone you have a longer term relationship with, make the singer conscious of the problem and have them try to turn their heads slightly on those sounds.
Jay Barracato

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:21:19 am »

TIA.
Short of better microphone technique from your vocalist, have you considered adding a windscreen to the mic?  I guess what I'm really getting at is this: fix it at the source.  Anything else is just polishing a t*rd.

Looks like a simul-post with Jay.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:23:25 am by Scott Wagner »
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:43:28 am »

Thanks guys. It's a band I work with regularly so I can address that with them but I wasn't sure if it was more me or them.
Ryan Davis

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 11:44:31 am »

I find that singing with lips on the grill and some assertive application of eq to compensate for proximity effect works best. The eq really needs to be a shelf with a roll off between 500Hz and 1kHz. With basic analog eq the fixed HPF and some low cut is a tolerable approximation. This is probably easier to get them to do than turning for every P.

The stream of air barely loses power over the first 6" while the sound itself falls off drastically in that distance, so getting close doesn't substantially worsen the blast but it strongly boosts the actual sound of the voice at the mic.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:18:56 pm »

TIA.

Did you have a cut at around 200 hz dialed in to cut the proximity effect?

SM58's almost always need it

Kemper Watson

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:37:04 pm »

If it was coming out of the subs as you mentioned I would look at the DRPA..Sounds like you should lower the high pass on the subs

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 12:39:23 pm »

If it was coming out of the subs as you mentioned I would look at the DRPA..Sounds like you should lower the high pass on the subs

If it's coming out of the subs, something's really awry.  But...

To me it sounds like you need to make de-"puh" cuts in the LF on the vocal mic channels... 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ted Christensen

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 12:51:12 pm »

TIA.

Tell them to puh puh puh please learn mic technique and maybe roll off the lows..or just hold the mic an inch or two farther away to start with.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 01:30:59 pm »

Or more to the point, lower the low pass on the subs. Using aux ed subs will let you keep vocals out of the subs altogether.

Better windscreens and better mic technique are the other answers.

Mac
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.