ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cab rewiring  (Read 18554 times)

Sheldon Harris

Re: Cab rewiring
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 11:19:48 PM »

Really? You clearly have not put this to rest. You keep digging your hole deeper and deeper, it's past time to put down the shovel. Soon the hole will be too deep to climb out of.

Mac

be specific, say what exactly you mean, give evidence to support what you are saying.why do you think i am digging a hole?

i will say again, "yes a new coil can be wound on the same former"

just simply post yes or no to the statement above: do not beat around the bush and say something else: stick to the issue and statement that started this.
i just want you to say it: yes or no. and say why or why not.
"can a new coil be wound on the same former of a blown speaker?"
yes or no?

i await your response to my question
sheldon

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 12:05:01 AM »

be specific, say what exactly you mean, give evidence to support what you are saying.why do you think i am digging a hole?

i will say again, "yes a new coil can be wound on the same former"

just simply post yes or no to the statement above: do not beat around the bush and say something else: stick to the issue and statement that started this.
i just want you to say it: yes or no. and say why or why not.
"can a new coil be wound on the same former of a blown speaker?"
yes or no?

i await your response to my question
sheldon

Who cares!

Unless there is someone who will do it, has the materials, and is competent to do it, then it is just talking.

The conventional way to repair speakers theses days is to replace or recone.

No one wants to play your word games.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 02:02:37 AM »

Who cares!

Unless there is someone who will do it, has the materials, and is competent to do it, then it is just talking.

The conventional way to repair speakers theses days is to replace or recone.

No one wants to play your word games.

+1 for the band wagon.

i guess you did not read the thread where i said this:
"more info is needed on the speakers that are blown. many speaker components have recone kits and replacement cones and basket assemblies that can bring the blown components back to the manufacturers specs.

if you do not want to go that route: (recomended)
yes a speaker can be rewired, and since you asked the question, i would say it should be left to qualified persons who know what they are doing.
sheldon

no word games buddy: it is question:
"can a new coil be wound on the same former of a blown speaker?"   how can you give credible input on a topic if you can not answer a simple yes or no question on which said topic is based?

sheldon

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 07:24:57 AM »

+1 for the band wagon.

"more info is needed on the speakers that are blown. many speaker components have recone kits and replacement cones and basket assemblies that can bring the blown components back to the manufacturers specs.

yes a speaker can be rewired, and since you asked the question, i would say it should be left to qualified persons who know what they are doing.
sheldon

"can a new coil be wound on the same former of a blown speaker?"   how can you give credible input on a topic if you can not answer a simple yes or no question on which said topic is based?

sheldon
Maybe it would help to clear thiung up if you would list/give contact information etc-of people who advertise rewinding coils on existing formers.

Yes a profesional should do it-just who are those professionals?  I have never heard of or meet any of the them-but that is not really saying much.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »

I don't want to throw gasoline on this fire, but, if anyone is interested, a simple google search turned up alot of info on the subject of rewinding voice coils.  It's not something I will be attempting, but apparently people do it!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:58:09 AM by Chuck Simon »

Albert Thomas

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »

I don't want to throw gasoline on this fire, but, if anyone is interested, a simple google search turned up alot of info on the subject of rewinding voice coils.  It's not something I will be attempting, but apparently people do it!

Yup, I would agree that rewinding a vc on the old former is possible. Just like machining you're own piston for an engine re-build is possible ( I know a machinist who did this), but both require more patience and expertise than most of us have, and I wouldn't advise anyone to take that route unless there's no other alternative. I'll take the factory recone kit or piston and be on my way.

Gary A. Perrett

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 01:02:22 AM »

+1 for the band wagon.

sheldon

sheldon

If a speaker "goes open" but has NO other evidence of damage...is it "Blown"? Or, as the language of the OP and the 'response' indicated (multiple drivers "blown") when they BLOW... they let the smoke out. THAT.. cannot be rewound/rewired.

But it would have to be removed from the cone and spider ( I have done thousands of re-cone's as well ) Why in the world would you use the same worn out suspension?

Sounds like a case of "Midas touch" ...Why take tons of time to resurrect an old coil (who will pay for all that time?) or put in a pristine brand new warrantied voice coil?

Besides, your arguing with the backbone of this forum. Well respected and industry recognized authorities on their craft. The hole they speak of, is going to be your credibility on this forum. I would "chill" if I were you...

Just sayin...
G

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 05:46:31 AM »

If a speaker "goes open" but has NO other evidence of damage...is it "Blown"? Or, as the language of the OP and the 'response' indicated (multiple drivers "blown") when they BLOW... they let the smoke out. THAT.. cannot be rewound/rewired.

"ok, you haven't seen it you haven't heard of it being done. its ok people learn something new every day. do not dismiss anything and say:NO if you are not sure. if cannot be done say why not: give evidence."   sheldon

But it would have to be removed from the cone and spider ( I have done thousands of re-cone's as well ) Why in the world would you use the same worn out suspension?

"who said anything about using a driver with worn out suspension? stop introducing scenarios and factors that were not discussed by me or the original poster."

"what has to be removed from the cone and spider? coil? former? are saying to rewind a coil it has to be removed from the cone and spider? be clear if you really know what you are doing (psycomoto)  you should be able to articulate yourself (cognitive) on said subject." sheldon

Sounds like a case of "Midas touch" ...Why take tons of time to resurrect an old coil (who will pay for all that time?) or put in a pristine brand new warrantied voice coil?

"i know what you mean: scientists and engineers has been called many things by the people who think they have seen it all and think they know it all"
"resurrect an old coil :o?  attached to the cone and spider: are a former, wrapped on the former is the coil. who said anything about resurrecting an old coil?  stop introducing scenarios and factors that were not discussed by me. sheldon"

Besides, your arguing with the backbone of this forum. Well respected and industry recognized authorities on their craft.

" i respect all on this site:this is a technical forum: there are many qualified individuals that visit and participate on this site. the "craft" of what we do has too many facets, and is too dynamic for any one individual  to be the infallible truth and authority" sheldon.

The hole they speak of, is going to be your credibility on this forum. I would "chill" if I were you...

so you are saying that certain people can not be challenged on this forum, and doing so causes that person to "bury their credibility" on this forum. this has only gone this far because most people, even re-coners use what is readily available and simply don't know or never had the need to explore the possibility of other options. comments were obviously based on that.
i am not trying to be an antagonist: all i am saying if a person doesn't have enough evidence to put down a claim, they should not dismiss it and try to burn the deliverer.

mr. perrett,
you said you have re-coned thousands of speakers: are you jbl certified, ev certified? (other continents excluded for now)
would you consider yourself to be an advanced re-coner?
i am just trying to get an idea of how advanced you are in re-building. (numbers count very little as opposed to type of re-building)

Just sayin...
G

i thank you for your concern:
i am not concerned however, about my credibility on this forum.
 i think i posted something like this once before: "i can have in my hands this coming Monday a 1000 word essay on my credibility from many individuals with a long list of letters behind their names.including phd.

sheldon

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »

i think i posted something like this once before: "i can have in my hands this coming Monday a 1000 word essay on my credibility from many individuals with a long list of letters behind their names.including phd.

sheldon

It may have been done Sheldon, some individuals may still do it, but given the materials used, from flat edgewound wire to Kapton formers, and 300 C adhesives, without some precision machinery/fixtures it just isn't worth it, and it makes it sooooo much harder to reproduce a factory spec part on top of it.

I(as many others here) have never come across a rebuilder who has tried to rewind a voice coil-it comes as part of a kit from every manufacturer I know, and even the independent suppliers don't sell pieces of a voice coil.

One scenario-I tear apart a blown driver.  I inspect the voice coil, and the wire is burned, a fairly common failure mode-try peeling that crap off, pray you don't kink, crease, crack, or otherwise damage the integrity of the former.  That alone is de-incentive enough not to reuse the piece and pop it into my handy winding machine to lay on fresh 24 gauge flat wire in four layers, coated with fresh adhesive, then popped into my "Easy Bake Voice Coil Oven" (pat pend.), then reassembling it onto a fresh cone/suspension.

Attached are some images from the Audio Heritage website of JBL ads and voice coil winding.  Yes, she's doing it by hand....but...this photo is eleven years old, and the article it is from indicates this is going the way of the dodo bird.

I toured the Eminence factory about the same time as this JBL photo was taken, and they had designed and built their own coil winding machinery(and I'm not sure how long before my visit, but I suspect a number of years!).

Best regards,

John
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:42:20 AM by John Halliburton »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Online credibility
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »

sheldon

I'm glad you are not concerned about your personal credibility, because at this point you have little. I however am concerned about the credibility of these forums, and allowing your misinformation to go unchallenged would chip away at that.

If your purpose in coming here is to start silly arguments, please find another venue for your blather.

If your purpose in coming here is to either learn, or share knowledge, learn to coexist in a community of friends.

If you want to make wild claims, back them up with some actual data.

Mac
admin

ProSoundWeb Community

Online credibility
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.