ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job  (Read 67190 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »

Why?

To have something like SAC made for a modern OS? To have something like SAC that actually still gets updates and bug fixes? Maybe to have something like SAC made by a reputable company?
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2013, 06:12:27 PM »

By not flexible I mean your stuck with only the fader banks the writer likes.  No API we can write to or config file we can modify.  No way to adjust the key combos or center mouse wheel function.  You HAVE to use it the way the original programmer thinks and he is very hostile if you don't like it.  I think it is a great concept.  I wish some other companies would come out with a similar product in a reasonable price range.
I doubt he has made any money whatsoever on this product. Do you think another manufacturer doing this same thing would fare better?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »

By not flexible I mean your stuck with only the fader banks the writer likes.  No API we can write to or config file we can modify.  No way to adjust the key combos or center mouse wheel function.  You HAVE to use it the way the original programmer thinks and he is very hostile if you don't like it.
Change "hostile" to "ignored" and you have just described pretty much every digital console manufacturer.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »

API we can write to or config file we can modify.  No way to adjust the key combos or center mouse wheel function.  You HAVE to use it the way the original programmer thinks and he is very hostile if you don't like it.  I think it is a great concept.  I wish some other companies would come out with a similar product in a reasonable price range.

All later this year.
Not to Code

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2013, 07:02:30 PM »

I've always looked at SAC as more of a DAW not quite the equal of many well written DAWs such as Cubase (which I own and use), and ProTools. I know Cubase can be would work just fine as a SAC, specifically the later versions past V4. Why not just invest in software of this type if you feel the need to mix with software only. What I can't really grasp is that by the time you've worked out all of the hardware and software needed to support SAC you could have purchased a really nice digital board. I must be missing something here.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »

What I can't really grasp is that by the time you've worked out all of the hardware and software needed to support SAC you could have purchased a really nice digital board. I must be missing something here.

You nailed it Bob. It seems like the SAC guys I have met just like the DIY factor. The local guy who has one spent at least $10k and I don't see any features on it that something like the GLD or even an Si Compact can't do. Just seems like a fun project, not a viable love sound mixing product.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »

What I can't really grasp is that by the time you've worked out all of the hardware and software needed to support SAC you could have purchased a really nice digital board. I must be missing something here.

I have 5K invested.  I have 48 ch in and 40 out. One mixer for FOH, one for recording (Separate control surface) and 10 mixers for IEMs.  The 5 K includes the complete IEM system.

Also when I wanted to expand from 40 to 48 in I just added a 8 ch preamp.  If I need to expand it again I can.
I purchased a number of really nice digital boards.
Not to Code

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2013, 08:43:10 PM »

That's nice Frank but for $3500, or $1500 less, I have remote access, 32 channels in expandable to 66, 24 out, Lexicon effects, BSS EQ, etc., 14 dedicated mix channels out, 4 matrix channels out, LRC, option card capability, motorized faders, a full tactile and quality hardware interface, connectivity to Studer products, 2 year warranty, and firmware upgrades as needed, and that's just the tip of the iceburg.

I just don't really get SAC unless it was used for recording, but then I have Cubase which can be expanded to 100s of channels and supports surround sound, and every conceivable plug in. My analog head is hard, but not so hard I couldn't see the writing on the wall.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:45:59 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »

That's nice Frank but for $3500, or $1500 less,
Thanks Bob.  That makes me feel good.  I think I got a great deal, more inputs, more outputs, more mixers, full keyboard for entering fader names and scribble strip lines. 16 dedicated buttons for scenes 16 motorized faders. Two 21 in video monitors so every thing is on one level. Wireless remote with support for its own motorized faders. And the IEM system. Best of all, we both have a mixer that does what we need it to do.
Not to Code

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2013, 09:43:44 PM »

That's nice Frank but for $3500, or $1500 less, I have remote access, 32 channels in expandable to 66, 24 out, Lexicon effects, BSS EQ, etc., 14 dedicated mix channels out, 4 matrix channels out, LRC, option card capability, motorized faders, a full tactile and quality hardware interface, connectivity to Studer products, 2 year warranty, and firmware upgrades as needed, and that's just the tip of the iceburg.

I just don't really get SAC unless it was used for recording, but then I have Cubase which can be expanded to 100s of channels and supports surround sound, and every conceivable plug in. My analog head is hard, but not so hard I couldn't see the writing on the wall.
Until this year  with the X32 and lower priced Soundcraft I can't think of another console in the $5k to $10k range that could do what a SAC rig of that price range could do.  I think the big advantage to SAC is if you need another mix-position or want to give each musician there own "mixer" all you need is another laptop or windows tablet.

I really like the idea of a rack on stage that can host a large variety of control positions.  You can get that with several manufactures but not any where in the sub $15k to $20k market.  Now we have a few options for lower cost consoles that lets us approximate that functionality because we can buy several sub $2500 consoles and stage boxes and link them with 300 ft of cat5 so they can share inputs.

I really like the concept of SAC, but I feel like I would be giving up too many things in the user interface and company backing to get its advantages.  I am looking forward to these other offerings.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2013, 09:43:44 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.