ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job  (Read 67171 times)

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
Re: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2013, 01:23:40 AM »

How about a 26" touch screen JR? Although, I would probably miss the feel of a good fader.

It must be a no-brainer really, a stage box with processing and a piece of software and you're set. While there are still quite few large, self-contained touch screens on the market yet, surely the jumboPad can't be that far off. So who will be brave enough to release a mixer generation with no control surface? I realize that there are a few boxes out there that fit the bill, but they either "belong" to a surface or are available with small-screen apps.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »

How about a 26" touch screen JR? Although, I would probably miss the feel of a good fader.

People are mixing on the 3M multi touch screen now They run from 15 to 32 inch.
Not to Code

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »

Think of how much cheaper this gets when we replace the low volume, expensive to build, electromechanical physical control surface, and instead substitute some high volume, low cost consumer interface. You may be mixing from your 1-watch in a few years, or the lower budget  S-watch.

JR

PS: Old guys will gravitate to bigger screens.  8)
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:45 AM »

It must be a no-brainer really, a stage box with processing and a piece of software and you're set. While there are still quite few large, self-contained touch screens on the market yet, surely the jumboPad can't be that far off. So who will be brave enough to release a mixer generation with no control surface? I realize that there are a few boxes out there that fit the bill, but they either "belong" to a surface or are available with small-screen apps.

Media Matrix has been selling a DSP engine for a long time, while the target market has not been live sound since that is a relatively small niche compared to the rest of fixed install audio business.

I suspect we are already seeing the evolution toward this with digital consoles.

Eventually more and more will move into the stage box, until there is no control surface left. Maybe a small FOH box. 

JR

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »

Think of how much cheaper this gets when we replace the low volume, expensive to build, electromechanical physical control surface, and instead substitute some high volume, low cost consumer interface. You may be mixing from your 1-watch in a few years, or the lower budget  S-watch.

JR

PS: Old guys will gravitate to bigger screens.  8)

JR's control surface, to be used at one of those Mississippi juke joints I heard about:
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »

That looks like the TV we had in the living room, channels 4,5 and 7.

If I were to mix from a screen I believe I would want something like a 56" CLEAR touch screen that stands up straight. The performers and hardware being used would then become superimposed on the screen and touching the mic, array, etc. would bring up a panel with available options for that device. All while you're watching the show and performers.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »

If I were to mix from a screen I believe I would want something like a 56" CLEAR touch screen that stands up straight. The performers and hardware being used would then become superimposed on the screen and touching the mic, array, etc. would bring up a panel with available options for that device. All while you're watching the show and performers.
I'm surely repeating myself, VR goggles or perhaps the newer google glass, with facial recognition software so you can just point to a muso, and squeeze his head for compression.  8)

Don't discount the improvements in AI to lighten the load from routine decision making and tweaking. If you tell the system where you want it to end up you don't have to make the actual adjustments as you go to get there...

JR

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »

Bob - something like this may be able to be configured for more than Pro Tools...
http://www.slateproaudio.com/products/raven/

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »

People are mixing on the 3M multi touch screen now They run from 15 to 32 inch.

While mixing on a touch screen is technically possible today, the problem lies in the feedback of using the touch screen.  With a regular console, you can place your hands in position and move faders without having to look.  You can tell if your hand slips off of fader position and is now controlling the wrong fader.  Not so with a touch screen.

Until touch screens can emulate that feedback, which is still quite a few years out, physical buttons will still reign supreme.
Brian Jojade

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »

I'm surely repeating myself, VR goggles or perhaps the newer google glass, with facial recognition software so you can just point to a muso, and squeeze his head for compression.  8)

Don't discount the improvements in AI to lighten the load from routine decision making and tweaking. If you tell the system where you want it to end up you don't have to make the actual adjustments as you go to get there...

JR

Stephen St Croix wrote about using V.R. Goggles and V.R. gloves to mix, at least 10 years ago!

He did not write about squeezing his head for compression, LOL! That's genius!
I wonder what giving the singer the finger would do!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.