ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job  (Read 67157 times)

Dave Bednarski

X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »

This is happening as I type...

Goto power up... the eithernet blinks... and the lights along the screen.  That's it.

Got quick video clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LGOPPXvWWU

Scrambled to get re patched to small backup board... very pissed off band.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »

Goto power up... the eithernet blinks... and the lights along the screen.  That's it.

Got quick video clip...

So far I've seen 4 different x32's come into my area from various out of town bands, and all had some kind of problem

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »

Got quick video clip...

That is one of the biggest issues I see with digital consoles.  Nothing you can do when they don't boot up.

The only thing to do is to swap out consoles.  And if you are using a digital snake-and don't have the same type of console-it gets even worse.

At least with analog-(short of a power supply failure) there is usually all sorts of "work arounds" like using a post aux for the main outputs-patching around bad channels and so forth.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »

Got quick video clip...

Dave...

What was the power situation?  Do you run any line voltage regulation, either stand-alone or in an on-line UPS?

Did you meter the venue power?  Were you sharing power with the caterer/lighting?

This is an important question.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:57:27 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »

That is one of the biggest issues I see with digital consoles.  Nothing you can do when they don't boot up.

The only thing to do is to swap out consoles.  And if you are using a digital snake-and don't have the same type of console-it gets even worse.

At least with analog-(short of a power supply failure) there is usually all sorts of "work arounds" like using a post aux for the main outputs-patching around bad channels and so forth.

And for all the reasons you stated Ivan I'll keep my Pro House Rack to back up my Expression. That may be redundant though as the only real problems I've heard of with the Expression series have to do with the firmware level, and once that's been brought up to V1.09 it doesn't appear that there are any problems with the board or stage box's being reported. There IS a reason for purchasing a trusted name product. I also expect the QU-16 to be as reliable after it's initial launch and firmware updates to resolve minor issues, based on  the A&H reputation for good solid products.

Now that I am seeing more and more X32 issues of the type Dave is reporting I'll have to wonder if Behringer QA is now doing more than a power on test to 1 of 10. 1 of 100, or 1 of 1000 boards leaving China.

OP, That sucks that the board died, but I'm sure that Uli and crew will chime in shortly with a solution. Hopefully it's some random loose cable that's causing the problem and you won't have to send the unit to Las Vegas.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »

And for all the reasons you stated Ivan I'll keep my Pro House Rack to back up my Expression. That may be redundant though as the only real problems I've heard of with the Expression series have to do with the firmware level, and once that's been brought up to V1.09 it doesn't appear that there are any problems with the board or stage box's being reported. There IS a reason for purchasing a trusted name product. I also expect the QU-16 to be as reliable after it's initial launch and firmware updates to resolve minor issues, based on  the A&H reputation for good solid products.

Now that I am seeing more and more X32 issues of the type Dave is reporting I'll have to wonder if Behringer QA is now doing more than a power on test to 1 of 10. 1 of 100, or 1 of 1000 boards leaving China.

OP, That sucks that the board died, but I'm sure that Uli and crew will chime in shortly with a solution. Hopefully it's some random loose cable that's causing the problem and you won't have to send the unit to Las Vegas.
It is not just a Behringer issue.  Years ago there was a digital console (around $70K) that their big selling point was that they simply DON'T fail. 

Well the first one we sold did fail-as in got locked up during turn on-on a Sunday Morning before service.  THe customer ended up putting a cheap yamaha analog console in and did the service.

But when the replacement for the replacement of the replacement failed-weeeeeeellllll at that point I started to doubt the marketing about "not failing".

They are no longer much a player (as far as I know) in the US.  Don't know about the rest of the world.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »

Dave...

What was the power situation?  Do you run any line voltage regulation, either stand-alone or in an on-line UPS?

Did you meter the venue power?  Were you sharing power with the caterer/lighting?

This is an important question.
Dick,

I know where you are going with this.  I saw this on a PRX speaker a couple of weeks ago.  Bad power at the venue caused it.

I have looked into a voltage conditioner for this very reason, but they are not cheep.  What are your thoughts on these for digital mixers.  Would it help avoid issues associated with unstable power, or low voltage due to poorly managed power runs?

I have the belief (no evidence to support it) that analog mixers are more tolerant to power fluctuation and variation.

To the OP.  That really stinks.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »

Dick,

I know where you are going with this.  I saw this on a PRX speaker a couple of weeks ago.  Bad power at the venue caused it.

I have looked into a voltage conditioner for this very reason, but they are not cheep.  What are your thoughts on these for digital mixers.  Would it help avoid issues associated with unstable power, or low voltage due to poorly managed power runs?

I have the belief (no evidence to support it) that analog mixers are more tolerant to power fluctuation and variation.

To the OP.  That really stinks.
It is amazing to me how often the "power" is blame for something that does not work-or hums- or just acts weird.

Yet I have never seen ANY (not saying there is none-I just don't remember seeing any) proof of "bad" power.

It is real easy to blame something you can't prove.

It is funny how everything else works just fine-but when one piece of gear "goes crazy" the power gets blamed.

Well what about all the rest of the gear?

That being said, I believe it is a good idea to use a UPS on a digital console.  If for no other reason-dips in the mains voltage.  Dips in voltage on an analog console will usually just result in a hum (voltage regulators not having enough input voltage), but in a digital console all sorts of other issues can result.

One I remember (that took me a while to find out) was the older Yamaha 01V in which a dip (even just a slight dip for a very short period of them) would cause a check sum error to come up the next time it was turned on.

Nothing happened as long as power was applied-just the NEXT time.

To an "unknowing" user-it is real easy to completely erase ALL the memory-with no way to get it back.

Yet the actual problem/damage may have happened days before.

But these was a way to "clear it" (using another console)-so no physical or electrical damage.

Just sayin'-------------------------------

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »

I am probably going to get flamed for this.... But..... You get what you pay for.

Before the 32 came out I don't think anyone would believe you could get that many features for that price point...

My mechanic has a sign in his shop..

You can have it quick.
You can have it cheap.
You can have quality.

Pick any two...

Although this may be a bit different... You get features and price point, just maybe not quality.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Re: X32 Failure an Hour Before Job
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 12:38:07 AM »

Quote from: Ivan Beaver
It is not just a Behringer issue.  Years ago there was a digital console (around $70K) that their big selling point was that they simply DON'T fail. 

True, but...

Quote from: Steve Alves
You can have it quick.
You can have it cheap.
You can have quality.

Pick any two...

Is the X32 still a bargain if you have to buy two of them for redundancy?  Misguided or not, some clients are insisting on digital these days and may take umbrage if you pull out an analog spare, regardless of quality.  Again, they may be misguided and should be happy that the show goes on, but (right or wrong) they ARE the client.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: X32 Failure an Hour Before Job
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 12:38:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.