ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job  (Read 67166 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2013, 10:17:31 PM »

I've been mixing live sound without physical faders for a couple years now.

SAC >>

A friend and I were seriously looking at building an SAC rig recently.  It may still be on the table but reading the official and non-official forums gave me a bad feeling about it.  I am sure it works but it is NOT flexible as far as user interface.  No new features or configuration options for the last several years.  And it is not keeping up with modern OS.  I think SAC was WAY ahead of it's time.  But the attitude of the creator/programmer is a little to hostile if you need it to work some thing other than HIS way. 
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Lyon Walter

• Weddinspire
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2013, 05:31:06 AM »

They solved that with the first iPhone!  Behold... http://4iconcepts.com/invisible-keypad

I actually bought them years ago - they made an excellent pocket lint trap!

Touch is good as according to recent scenario

Ed Lohr

• Live Wire Sound Systems
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »

Ed,
That's a nice SAC rig.  Is that a shure UC series wireless I spot in the CPU rack?  Is it just a wireless or does it serve some other purpose being with the CPU?

Thank you Cailen! The Shure is used as a talkback/utility/spare.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:21:25 AM by Ed Lohr »

Ed Lohr

• Live Wire Sound Systems
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2013, 08:21:03 AM »

A friend and I were seriously looking at building an SAC rig recently.  It may still be on the table but reading the official and non-official forums gave me a bad feeling about it.  I am sure it works but it is NOT flexible as far as user interface.  No new features or configuration options for the last several years.  And it is not keeping up with modern OS.  I think SAC was WAY ahead of it's time.  But the attitude of the creator/programmer is a little to hostile if you need it to work some thing other than HIS way.

For me SAC works great. Not sure what you mean by not flexible. I've thought about moving back to a physical board but I can't find one under $10k that will do everything I need. I like that I can rearrange channels and setup custom views. I like being able to use VST plugins (most of them are free). I like having 24 ins and outs or more if I need. I like being able to control the whole system on my Windows 8 tablet or my laptop or my FOH rig  with a 23" monitor/keyboard/mouse. SAC isn't for everyone and it's not the answer for every gig but it has it's place and I find it very useful. I do miss having real faders but it's a compromise for all the other features. And as far as new and improved versions go... yes I have a wish list too but just like any other console, if it does what you need great, if not then there are other options out there.

On a side note... I wish someone else would step up and put something else out like SAC. How hard would it be for something like Reaper to be tweaked exclusively for live use? But that's another topic in itself.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »

according to recent scenario

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »

On a side note... I wish someone else would step up and put something else out like SAC. How hard would it be for something like Reaper to be tweaked exclusively for live use? But that's another topic in itself.

Working on it...give me another 5 years... ;)
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »

Later this year.
Not to Code

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »

Later this year.

Really now? Keep us posted?
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »

On a side note... I wish someone else would step up and put something else out like SAC.
Why?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »

For me SAC works great. Not sure what you mean by not flexible. I've thought about moving back to a physical board but I can't find one under $10k that will do everything I need. I like that I can rearrange channels and setup custom views. I like being able to use VST plugins (most of them are free). I like having 24 ins and outs or more if I need. I like being able to control the whole system on my Windows 8 tablet or my laptop or my FOH rig  with a 23" monitor/keyboard/mouse. SAC isn't for everyone and it's not the answer for every gig but it has it's place and I find it very useful. I do miss having real faders but it's a compromise for all the other features. And as far as new and improved versions go... yes I have a wish list too but just like any other console, if it does what you need great, if not then there are other options out there.

By not flexible I mean your stuck with only the fader banks the writer likes.  No API we can write to or config file we can modify.  No way to adjust the key combos or center mouse wheel function.  You HAVE to use it the way the original programmer thinks and he is very hostile if you don't like it.  I think it is a great concept.  I wish some other companies would come out with a similar product in a reasonable price range.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.