ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job  (Read 67174 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: X32 Failure an Hour Before Wedding Job
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 03:03:04 AM »

It is amazing to me how often the "power" is blame for something that does not work-or hums- or just acts weird....

It is funny how everything else works just fine-but when one piece of gear "goes crazy" the power gets blamed.

Agreed.  Anything like this which converts mains power to dc internally will be well regulated and smoothed and will be immune to fluctuations of voltage and even small interruptions in the supply.

A UPS is a good idea to prevent the desk having to boot up if the power goes out for more than about 1/8 second but shouldn't be needed to condition the power.

Steve.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 07:06:27 AM »

Update.

I left the unit on in its partially "booted" state.  Aprox 2 hours from initial power up state (during the 1st set), the screen flashed... it booted up normally.  It sat for the rest of the night, everything appearing to work.  Everything recalled?  I ran it through a few paces after the show concluded.  Recycled the power, no issues.

--

Power situation -> No sharing w/ lighting/catering, etc.  Exhibited the same behavior when plugged into two different power sources, directly to wall and through a Monster MP Pro 2500 and the Furman unit. 

Also tried unplugging everything from the X32 (iPod Aux in, eithernet, AES50).

The two S16s, plugged into the same power sources, worked without issue.

--

The unit was purchased in March.  It has seen ~20 jobs, without issue.  It has traveled from day 1, in the Gator X32 case, stored in a climate controlled environment when not in use.

--

We made the best of it.  I got paid.  No clue what the issue could be.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »

How much confidence will you have in the board going forward, and are you planning to "send it away" to LV now that the issue has become intermittent and harder to diagnose?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »

How much confidence will you have in the board going forward, and are you planning to "send it away" to LV now that the issue has become intermittent and harder to diagnose?

I have said this before and I will say it again.  My company has two X32 consoles and we are awaiting two X32 Racks.  To date we have had zero issues with the consoles.  We transport them in Gator G-Tour Cases and they travel between 2,000 and 5,000 miles a month depending on where our shows are and how many we have in a given month.  The weeks of June, July and August have been extremely busy this year.  September will be even bigger.  We have well over 100 shows on the two X32s and are confident that they will continue to work and meet our clients needs. 

This could be a power issue, we always use taps that are regulated, or it could be a bad power supply.  I have had power supplies go bad in Allen & Heath GL3000, and Yamaha PM4000, analog boards in the past.  Things happen in life and they happen at the worst time.  If it were me, I would check the console again in an environment that I trusted the electrical with a UPS, uninterrupted power supply.  If it is still a problem ship it of and and get it fixed at Behringer's expense.  It will come back in great shape.

Bill  8)
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »

First off, doesn't anyone meter their power before plugging anything into it?  I know I do - every single time (even in places I've been before).  Also, once you start adding loads to your electrical system "brown outs" are always a possibility.  What I've found is that "bad power" is not very common; however, overloaded power happens often (and it's usually "operator error").  I've "repaired" many house systems by simply redistributing the electrical connections.  Just becuase things are plugged into three different outlets does not mean that they are on different circuits, and just because things meter corrently doesn't mean that the same will be true under load (at least from a voltage perspective).

As for the X32, I've put 10 solid months of heavy usage on mine with zero faults of any kind.  Yes, I trust it.  Yes, I carry a spare.  You carry a spare for that Soundcraft, don't you, Bob?  It probably says ABP on it, too.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »

With approximately 30,000 X-32 in service there are bound to be some failures. Of course you don't hear about the other 29,000+ or so that are working just fine. If that means that Bob Leonard or Steve Alves doesn't trust the board, whatever...

Still can't believe I'm defending Behringer products, but I've been won over by what they're trying to do with their company.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »

Update.

I left the unit on in its partially "booted" state.  Aprox 2 hours from initial power up state (during the 1st set), the screen flashed... it booted up normally.  It sat for the rest of the night, everything appearing to work.  Everything recalled?  I ran it through a few paces after the show concluded.  Recycled the power, no issues.

--

Power situation -> No sharing w/ lighting/catering, etc.  Exhibited the same behavior when plugged into two different power sources, directly to wall and through a Monster MP Pro 2500 and the Furman unit. 

Dave...

Thanks for answering the power questions.  Now I have a power question back at you:

What Furman unit?  I neglected to look back in the thread to see if you named it, but I"m ASSuming (thanks JR, Ivan) that you're referring to mere power strips, not line voltage regulators.  The Monster and Furman (or any other brand) "power conditioners" do nothing to stabilize voltage.  It is my experience that sagging voltage can be a source of failures such as yours.  Of course, it's a complex set of circumstances and arbitrarily narrowing it down to a single cause can be risky, but I would encourage you to start using some kind of voltage regulation AS WELL AS learning how to use a Fluke meter to ascertain the viability of the power wherever you go. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »

Dave...

What Furman unit?  I neglected to look back in the thread to see if you named it, but I"m ASSuming (thanks JR, Ivan) that you're referring to mere power strips, not line voltage regulators.  The Monster and Furman (or any other brand) "power conditioners" do nothing to stabilize voltage.  It is my experience that sagging voltage can be a source of failures such as yours. 
Exactly-A lot (dare I say-most) people think that the normal power strips that mount in rack somehow do something "magical" to the AC and "fix" it. NOT!

Yes there are a couple of units out there-but most just have some MOVs that do a little bit to protect against spikes (until they fail and then you don't even know that they have failed------------), but NOTHING to "condition" the power-or regulate it or protect against "brown outs".

But that doesn't stop people from "believing" that they are actually doing something.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »

The Monster and Furman (or any other brand) "power conditioners" do nothing to stabilize voltage.  It is my experience that sagging voltage can be a source of failures such as yours.  Of course, it's a complex set of circumstances and arbitrarily narrowing it down to a single cause can be risky, but I would encourage you to start using some kind of voltage regulation AS WELL AS learning how to use a Fluke meter to ascertain the viability of the power wherever you go.

The X32 will be happy with service voltage from 90v to 240v, 50/60Hz.

However, at a wedding reception I can project a circuit used by the band also powering a food warmer, frozen drink machine, etc.  We don't know if the outlet on the other side of the wall is on the same service as what we're plugged in to....

So I'm very big on UPS that offer automatic voltage regulation and began this back early in my use of Yamaha's small digital mixers (that were service voltage specific).

I'm not ready to say there was voltage drop - in fact I think the problem is in the console power supply based on my observations of *other* electronic devices - but AVR/UPS is a good thing to have regardless.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »

AVR/UPS is a good thing to have regardless.

Can the Church say "AMEN"!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.