ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Staged" Stage Collapse  (Read 4094 times)

Robert Lunceford

"Staged" Stage Collapse
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:40:05 AM »

With all the terrible stage collapses that have happened recently, I can't believe anyone would "stage" a collapse as a part of their act.
I have no idea how many people attend a Metallica show, but it seems unwise to do something that might create panic in the audience.
This video is from Vancouver. There is a video from Mexico City where the same thing happens, down to the stage tech catching on fire and running across the stage.
Collapse starts at around four minutes into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkvXGQqDr6k

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: "Staged" Stage Collapse
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »

With all the terrible stage collapses that have happened recently, I can't believe anyone would "stage" a collapse as a part of their act.
I have no idea how many people attend a Metallica show, but it seems unwise to do something that might create panic in the audience.
Metallica has had shit blowing up or falling as part of the show since the late 1980s, have not heard of any great "panic in the audience" at their shows so far.

After more than 20 years of doing it, their audience would be disappointed if it didn't happen, like when Kiss stopped wearing makeup for a while...

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Re: "Staged" Catastrophes
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »

...their audience would be disappointed if it didn't happen...

The downside is that if something unplanned and terrible DID happen, the fans might well stay and cheer (thinking it was part of the show), even if lives were in danger.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

I don't know but those lighting towers are amazing! Ill take a few!!
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Nick Pires

• Portland, ME
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »

I don't know but those lighting towers are amazing! Ill take a few!!
If you check out the TV show "On Tour: Tait Stages" on AXS TV, there is an episode about the tech for all of these elements.
I'm not who I would be, if I wasn't who I am.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »

If you check out the TV show "On Tour: Tait Stages" on AXS TV, there is an episode about the tech for all of these elements.

Wow, watching that video, and others is quite impressive.  Imagine the engineering that went into designing and building all of that?

Yeah, if a catastrophic failure were to happen, the crowd may, for a short period think it's part of the show, but I'm pretty certain those really running the show would be well aware that something went wrong, and have plans in place to deal with that.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.