ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Expression outside festival  (Read 14192 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Soundcraft Expression outside festival
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2013, 04:54:18 AM »

I like your shade, and the side benefit is being able to use it to cover your head if you're outdoors in a sleeping bag.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
Re: Soundcraft Expression crossover
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 09:42:07 AM »

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if there is a crossover in the expression? I want to run aux fed subs and my DR260 obviously doesn't allow for that when running LR. I will be buying a console soon for a leasing situation. Or maybe give them my X32 and keep this.
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if there is a crossover in the expression? I want to run aux fed subs and my DR260 obviously doesn't allow for that when running LR. I will be buying a console soon for a leasing situation. Or maybe give them my X32 and keep this.

No. The X32 is the only desk to date I'm familiar with that has real crossover filters.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 11:07:28 AM »

[/img]
We had our Soundcraft Expression 3 out on an outside festival this past weekend in Louisville Ky. and boy can I say that this thing is hard as hell to see in the daylight. It was under a pop up canopy and i thought my FOH engineer was just being a cry baby but when i went to investigate I had to agree with him this thing was almost impossible to navigate during system setup. We tried putting three of the four walls of the pop up down to give him some shade and with the front open it was barely enough. The hardest part to me was seeing which of the mix buttons were lit and reading the screen. The fader glow helped us get through as to which mode we were in. As the day went on and it got darker everything was cool superb mixer in all other aspects but just hard to see with a decent amount of daylight. May try with the Ipad next time outside just have been to busy to get to it.
No canopy then try this.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 02:48:36 AM »

I like your shade, and the side benefit is being able to use it to cover your head if you're outdoors in a sleeping bag.

Hi Bob,

Thanks, and if that's a use that matters to you, I suppose it would be fine, although you'd probably have to clip it to your ears for it to stay up.

And I'm having a good time imagining that your avatar is reacting to that statement.

Dan

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 04:05:29 AM »

I am chiming in late on this thread, but have to agree completely that this console is very difficult to see in bright daylight.  I have done many outdoor daytime gigs with it now and have not found a solution for this other than simply knowing the console well. One thing that tripped me up at first was switching to other layers or monitor mixes and not seeing where I was.  Quick workaround solution for that is to double tap an unused monitor mix which brings you back to your previous mix layer...

Nils

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 07:44:49 AM »

I started my creative life many decades ago as an avid photographer.  Still have a full darkroom setup that I don't think I could give away today.  I just cleaned out my fridge a few weeks ago and threw out a dozen boxes of paper.  I'm waiting for the analog photo renaissance

Renaissance?  It never went away as far as I'm concerned. I build 5x4 (4x5 for Americans) cameras and use them.  Not sure if I would want to use a dark cloth over a desk but it would solve the problem!

Steve.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »

Nils,
The Expression LCD is no worse and no better than any other LCD being used on the majority of the digital desks available today. This problem is not a function of the desk, this is a problem with all LCD screens when subjected to direct sunlight.

There are small size specific Polaroid filters manufactured for LCD camera displays that may work, however these filter will negate the ability to use the touch screen. I have some people in the industry working a usable solution for me. If it works I'll post it here .
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »

It's not just the LCD.  I had a hard time seeing the lights on the mix buttons.  I like Nils' "double tap" suggestion.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »

Nils,
The Expression LCD is no worse and no better than any other LCD being used on the majority of the digital desks available today. This problem is not a function of the desk, this is a problem with all LCD screens when subjected to direct sunlight.

There are small size specific Polaroid filters manufactured for LCD camera displays that may work, however these filter will negate the ability to use the touch screen. I have some people in the industry working a usable solution for me. If it works I'll post it here .
I don't disagree Bob.  Truthfully, the LCD is of little concern to me as I find myself barely touching it while mixing.  What bothers me more is the lighting of the buttons such as Mute, Mix selection, Layer selection, etc.  And, it is just that: a bother, not a make-it-or-break-it issue for me personally.  For some it will be unusable though, and if the majority of your gigs are outdoors in the daytime it should be a consideration.  For me, I am already fairly comfortable dealing with this; it has been harder for other engineers mixing on my desk, however.

You have piqued my curiosity with the filter however; let us know the results, by all means!

Cheers,
Nils

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.