ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob question  (Read 6541 times)

Akki Serd

Noob question
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:42:52 AM »

Got presonus 1602, 2x prx615 and 1x 618xlf

If I run only one cable from mixer to sub, from sub to one 615, and leave second 615 full range, am I loosing/gaining  anything sound/power wise :-P

Excuse my noobines :-D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Yosi Melamed

Re: Noob question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 03:35:15 AM »

If I run only one cable from mixer to sub, from sub to one 615, and leave second 615 full range, am I loosing/gaining  anything sound/power wise :-P

First I would like to ask why you want to do this?

You would get what's called a combing effect, that means that if you have more than one speaker firing the same signal into the same space. For some frequencies you'll get a boost in volume and for other frequencies you will get cancellation (lower volume), 99% of the times you'll get a bad sounding system with a bit of higher volume. You'll never be able to fix it with EQ'ing or almost any other means other then get back to the basic physics of what you did wrong and fix it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:44:11 AM by Yosi Melamed »
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:42:09 AM »

You would get what's called a combing effect,...

What you are doing is no worse, from a comb filtering effect. than running with a sub on each side of the stage. How well it works depends on interactions with the walls and ceiling and floor.  Might be just fine in one room, and might cause some power alley effect in other rooms.
Mark McFarlane

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »

First I would like to ask why you want to do this?

Yosi, you are now only allowed to use one speaker for the rest of your career!

You do understand that those tiny arrival time differences in sound waves is how we tell the direction of sound, don't you?  The human ear largely ignores you "combing" effect unless you are moving back and forth across the listening area, even then most people won't hear it or notice that so something is happening.

It must be really miserable for you to go to any concert that has more than just a center speaker because you'll hear so much combing that you learned about on an Internet forum.  You must also hate when guitar players use chorus pedals, another form of comb filter, done intentionally.

Plus your ears must be so golden that you hear every little bass anomaly with the low frequencies bouncing around a room.  It would be better for your health if you don't use subwoofers either as the nodes they create inside are significantly more destructive that the tiny little bit of destruction caused by two full range speakers in a room!

All of those audio companies out there making really good money buy using multiple speakers arrayed together must be creating terrible audio 99% of the time!  Like my company, we must suck!  Especially since the rated horizontal coverage of our speakers does NOT match how we splay then when using multiples!

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »

Yosi, you are now only allowed to use one speaker for the rest of your career!

You do understand that those tiny arrival time differences in sound waves is how we tell the direction of sound, don't you?  The human ear largely ignores you "combing" effect unless you are moving back and forth across the listening area, even then most people won't hear it or notice that so something is happening.

It must be really miserable for you to go to any concert that has more than just a center speaker because you'll hear so much combing that you learned about on an Internet forum.  You must also hate when guitar players use chorus pedals, another form of comb filter, done intentionally.

Plus your ears must be so golden that you hear every little bass anomaly with the low frequencies bouncing around a room.  It would be better for your health if you don't use subwoofers either as the nodes they create inside are significantly more destructive that the tiny little bit of destruction caused by two full range speakers in a room!

All of those audio companies out there making really good money buy using multiple speakers arrayed together must be creating terrible audio 99% of the time!  Like my company, we must suck!  Especially since the rated horizontal coverage of our speakers does NOT match how we splay then when using multiples!
Never mind.
Sorry if I upset anyone.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:34:59 AM by Yosi Melamed »
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »

Try it and see...  I have done gigs without high passing the tops and survived.

Akki Serd

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:32:01 AM »

Try it and see...  I have done gigs without high passing the tops and survived.

I will, i must, came up with this question couple days ago and didn't have chance to try out yet -
Biggest reason im asking is -, i always felt that we don't have enough bass volume, since only one input is used.
Will i get more bass feeding it with second input?

Thanks

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:06:23 AM »

Will i get more bass feeding it with second input?
No.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »

i always felt that we don't have enough bass volume, since only one input is used.
Thanks

The number of inputs used on the powered sub makes no output difference that can't be compensated for elsewhere.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »

Yes, the full range 615 will not be able to get as loud as the high-passed one and there will be a left-right mismatch around/below the crossover region.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »

Try it, it might very well be just fine.   And some rooms / set ups might sound better than others.   If it feels weird to you, one option might be to run both 615's from the main outs of your mixer and run the sub from an Aux.   When space allows, put the sub in the middle with the mains in the same plane.

If you want to get really creative with that approach, you could use the GEQ on the Mains & Aux sends to make a defacto crossover.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Akki Serd

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 01:15:42 AM »

Try try, I know, can't wait to try all idea's/suggestions :-P

Sub from Auxyis great idea too! .:-!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 01:15:42 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.