ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Training Materials?  (Read 1932 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Training Materials?
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:12:32 pm »

I have a great worker and excellent Backline tech that is really wanting to do more audio. Obviously the easiest way to help him learn and get experience is by tagging along on our audio gigs and letting him do more on that side. Beyond that I want to feed him some materials that he can consume (study) on his own time to go from knob turner to an understanding engineer.

What training materials do you use? Are there a particularly good series of YouTube videos you can recommend? I have a copy of of Bob McCarthy's Sound Systems Design and optimization, though it can be a little heady and technical for the novice.

So I guess I am asking what is between knowing nothing and the legit textbook?

Thanks for the suggestions!

James A. Griffin

Re: Training Materials?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:15:59 pm »

What training materials do you use? Are there a particularly good series of YouTube videos you can recommend? I have a copy of of Bob McCarthy's Sound Systems Design and optimization, though it can be a little heady and technical for the novice.

This is the 3rd time this week I've mentioned Yamaha's "Sound Reinforcement Handbook" by Gary Davis & Ralph Jones.

Bob McCarthy's book is not a general training manual for all aspects of live sound.  It is only concerned with the very narrow aspect of getting the most out of a speaker system, ie, how to  design, deploy, and optimize the rig for a specific environment.   It's not for beginners and won't help your friend at all.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:18:40 pm by James A. Griffin »
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:19:29 pm »

I have a great worker and excellent Backline tech that is really wanting to do more audio. Obviously the easiest way to help him learn and get experience is by tagging along on our audio gigs and letting him do more on that side. Beyond that I want to feed him some materials that he can consume (study) on his own time to go from knob turner to an understanding engineer.

Syn Aud Con

Online training that is divided into actual courses.
Jay Barracato

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:49:21 pm »

This is the 3rd time this week I've mentioned Yamaha's "Sound Reinforcement Handbook" by Gary Davis & Ralph Jones.

Bob McCarthy's book is not a general training manual for all aspects of live sound.  It is only concerned with the very narrow aspect of getting the most out of a speaker system, ie, how to  design, deploy, and optimize the rig for a specific environment.   It's not for beginners and won't help your friend at all.

Thanks James. Agreed

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:40 pm »

If he wants to mix he needs to practice. DAW, free download tracks and Plugins, learn how songs are mixed. He will learn more in a few months with some coaching than he will in 10 years of tagging along.

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 12:56:14 pm »

If he wants to mix he needs to practice. DAW, free download tracks and Plugins, learn how songs are mixed. He will learn more in a few months with some coaching than he will in 10 years of tagging along.

Great idea, thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 12:56:14 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.