ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 users  (Read 140466 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Qu-16 users
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »

What all do you have at FOH?

Console
Wireless router
iPad charger
USB hard-disc for Qu-drive recording
Wireless mic receivers

That's a good bit more than 3.75 amps...and when voltage sags you sacrifice amps to maintain voltage.  There's no way I'd go with anything less than a full 15 amps.

Having the brightly lit, full-time LED metering is a plus.  Not having the extra 12 pounds is a plus.

And here's a picture of APC's "stepped approximation" of a sine wave:
Dick,

I have an X32 Rack which draws 70W, an Furman wired IEM transmitter/limiter which draws 20W, so 450W would be more than enough.  Even if you used 5 or 6 Shure PSM900's (550 mA @ 15VDC), you would be fine with this amount of power.

What you posted about the "approximation of a sine wave" is much much more disturbing.  That looks like crap!

There are other APC models like this one: http://www.amazon.com/APC-SUA1000RM2U-Smart-UPS-1000VA-Rackmount/dp/B000086A1I

Which claim a simple sine wave output; however, this guy is much heavier, 2U, and nearly as expensive as the Furman so what would be the point.

Thanks for the information.

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »

Debbie -

The APC unit you have mentioned is perfectly adequate for UPS duty for a QU-16.  The problem that arises with digital consoles is the reboot time that can be from 15 to 20 seconds or even minutes, which is unacceptable at a live gig.  (power interruption from the venue or accidental unplugging)  The QU-16 pulls 82 watts and is probably the only device that needs battery backup.  Other items can be plugged to the non-battery outputs. 

The so-called "stepped sine wave" is a nonissue.  I have 2 of the APC units very similar to the one you described (550 VA), which I test regularly by pulling the plug, never a blink.

Merry Christmas,

-Tim T

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »

Debbie -

The APC unit you have mentioned is perfectly adequate for UPS duty for a QU-16.

The original topic was voltage regulation, not UPS.  Having both would be the best and for that a nice TrippLite in-line UPS is probably as good as it gets.  But that's major weight to carry.

In my book the order of importance for gear protection/show continuity is:

1.  Voltage regulation.

2.  Battery back-up.

A UPS without voltage regulation is riskier than voltage regulation without UPS.  A simple UPS offers little or no protection from over/under-voltage.   

And again, having both is best.

Edit:

TrippLite UPS trace

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:17:22 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »

The original topic was voltage regulation, not UPS.  Having both would be the best and for that a nice TrippLite in-line UPS is probably as good as it gets.  But that's major weight to carry.

1.  Voltage regulation.

2.  Battery back-up.

A UPS without voltage regulation is riskier than voltage regulation without UPS.  A simple UPS offers little or no protection from over/under-voltage.   

Edit:

TrippLite UPS trace

How's about this one?  http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3193

Looks like it can be purchased for $150.00.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2013, 11:37:33 AM »

Debbie -

The APC unit you have mentioned is perfectly adequate for UPS duty for a QU-16.  The problem that arises with digital consoles is the reboot time that can be from 15 to 20 seconds or even minutes, which is unacceptable at a live gig.  (power interruption from the venue or accidental unplugging)  The QU-16 pulls 82 watts and is probably the only device that needs battery backup.  Other items can be plugged to the non-battery outputs. 

The so-called "stepped sine wave" is a nonissue.  I have 2 of the APC units very similar to the one you described (550 VA), which I test regularly by pulling the plug, never a blink.

Merry Christmas,

-Tim T

Thanks Tim....Merry Christmas to you too !
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »

1.  Voltage regulation.

2.  Battery back-up.

Edit:

TrippLite UPS trace

Hey Dick...how would this one compare???
Not trying to be cheap here and I really want to protect the mixer as best I can on what is now a much smaller budget that I started with before Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1350PFCLCD-Sinewave-Comaptible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388162728&sr=8-2&keywords=cp1350
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »

Hey Dick...how would this one compare???
Not trying to be cheap here and I really want to protect the mixer as best I can on what is now a much smaller budget that I started with before Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1350PFCLCD-Sinewave-Comaptible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388162728&sr=8-2&keywords=cp1350

You'll want something rack-mountable.  Towers are a headache.

Here's an old link sent to me by a friend:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261169336068?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is a used, pricey TrippLite model, but when you buy them as they're retired from safe-guarding computer servers they're very reasonable.  You can get new batteries for them for reasonable, you just have to go through the work of finding one for an affordable price (shopping...yaayy_) and putting the deal together. 

He came out with a workable unit with brand new batteries for right under $200.00 (not counting the rack case).  They are the tops and the screen shot I posted of the TrippLite sine wave was from his unit.

Units like this are always running "through the batteries", so there is as close to zero lag in backing up as possible.  They are always running through the inverter so the power is always that pristine sine wave you could see on the scope trace.  And since it's running through the whole shebang all the time, the voltage regulation is rock-solid.

This is a situation where research, self-instruction and diligent shopping can get you pretty much the ultimate protection and for an affordable price.

Best of luck.  Don't buy cheap office stuff....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »

You'll want something rack-mountable.  Towers are a headache.

Here's an old link sent to me by a friend:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261169336068?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is a used, pricey TrippLite model, but when you buy them as they're retired from safe-guarding computer servers they're very reasonable.  You can get new batteries for them for reasonable, you just have to go through the work of finding one for an affordable price (shopping...yaayy_) and putting the deal together. 

He came out with a workable unit with brand new batteries for right under $200.00 (not counting the rack case).  They are the tops and the screen shot I posted of the TrippLite sine wave was from his unit.

Units like this are always running "through the batteries", so there is as close to zero lag in backing up as possible.  They are always running through the inverter so the power is always that pristine sine wave you could see on the scope trace.  And since it's running through the whole shebang all the time, the voltage regulation is rock-solid.

This is a situation where research, self-instruction and diligent shopping can get you pretty much the ultimate protection and for an affordable price.

Best of luck.  Don't buy cheap office stuff....

Thanks Dick for being passionate about this stuff enough to spend time guiding others like ME !

I'll do as you suggest and start searching out one similar to this one you mention.
Meantime I might get a cheap one just so I have something for the next couple of gigs otherwise I'll just have my cheapy Furman strip like I did on the last gig. I must admit I didn't even think about it last time so thank goodness I had no issues but now it is on my mind I want something to protect the mixer. If I come across something better before the next gig which isn't till Jan 10th, that's a bonus!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »

Taking this in a slightly different direction, my current setup is a Presonus 16.0.2 (their baby mixer) and the 24.4.2.  I've always maintained the 16.4.2 was simultaneously too small and too large... The 24.4.2 is a beast to carry for one old man, so I doubt it will become my main mixer.  That and the size.

I've been debating whether to dump the baby for a QU16.  Basically I got spoiled for the additional functionality the 24.4.2 provides over the baby.  One being an off-line editor (of sorts) available (third party) for the 24 but not the baby - the developer has no plans to do so.

Which brings me to the QU16.  Reading this thread, I've become quite enamored with the A&H even though there is still much software development going on.  That is actually a good thing. The IPad app is out.  So next on my wish list would be an off-line editor.  I know the larger A&H consoles have that software available, and I hope similar software is in the works.  I'd hate to buy into the same situation. (The Soundcraft console looks great, but the form factor will not work)

I'm not really asking for whether I should sell the baby or not, nor am I asking whether A&H WILL produce off-line software and when.  I am asking whether it is a REASONABLE expectation that A&H would make such software for the QU16.  Could the absence of such software for the QU16 be a further product line distinction within A&H?

After all, a third party made an offline editor for Presonus, but it is painfully obvious Presonus has no desire to make a version of their own.  I really do not want to buy into that situation again. I know, no crystal ball, but maybe some insight into how A&H has responded in the past from someone with more experience with how A&H think and operate.

thanks
frank

Marty America

• Roadie Software, LLC
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »

Frank,
I think it is a reasonable assumption that it will happen. I also think it's reasonable to assume that if they do, it will work both on and offline. Here's why:
They already have a similar program for the GLD
The widgets they used in the graphical display (buttons, sliders, etc) look like the Qu-16 and Qu-24
The Qu series use the same command set as the GLD Series

I would love to see it happen too. I requested it last year shortly after receiving my Qu-16
Once the new Qu-24 is released, there will be additional need.
Marty America
Chaska, MN

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.