ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 users  (Read 139981 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Qu-16 users
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2013, 08:39:18 AM »

I haven't quite figured out how to set up the custom layer on the mixer. I assigned some channels but I couldn't figure out how to unassign them. The instructions are rather vague.

!

The available "assignments" include an "x", signifying "no assignment".  You return to this unassigned condition by rotating the touch screen control knob fully counter-clockwise.
The "x" is the first selection, followed by channels 1-16 from the top fader layer or ST1-Mix 9/10 from the second layer.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:47:29 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Loujudson

« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »

I used my QU-16 and the QU-Pad App for the first time tonight It could not have gone better. It's a great board. I played walk-in music from a USB Stick and recorded the entire show to a USB Hard-drive. The recording is flawless. Set and forget!

Great news, Marty! I've had mine for three days, been just getting to know it in the studio while waiting for the update, here it is now, V1.10.

As for playback - I have an HDD that works but cannot get it to play yet.  Loading 16 track sfrom a recent gig, I followed the naming protocol (when I finally found it in the knowledgebase section) and the board recognized the drive and the files, but when I press play it lights up and instantly stops. Am I missing something?

And, do we have to name anything we want to play with the TRK01 and TRK02 (or 17, 18)? If so, I'll just use my ipod, thanksverymuch.

Climbing up the learning curve and having fun along the way,
Lou
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:48:30 AM by Loujudson »

Marty America

• Roadie Software, LLC
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »

As for playback ...

The multi-track playback was not implemented in the first two firmware releases. I think it said something about that in the release notes (or a bug list somewhere) It seems to be fine now.
Marty America
Chaska, MN

Marty America

• Roadie Software, LLC
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »

Just for fun I enabled AirPlay (plugged into the QU-16) on my Airport Express Router and ran a 1/8 inch stereo cable from it into the ST3 input on the top of the mixer. I was able to run the QU-Pad App and iTunes on my iPad and stream music wirelessly. That'll come in handy for walk-in or break music.
Marty America
Chaska, MN

mike mullin

« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »

I just got Airplay and Qu-pad to work on my system. What is not to like ?

cheers,
Mike

Just for fun I enabled AirPlay (plugged into the QU-16) on my Airport Express Router and ran a 1/8 inch stereo cable from it into the ST3 input on the top of the mixer. I was able to run the QU-Pad App and iTunes on my iPad and stream music wirelessly. That'll come in handy for walk-in or break music.
Cheers,
Mike Mullin
Ottawa Ontario

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2013, 09:56:21 PM »

I just got Airplay and Qu-pad to work on my system. What is not to like ?

cheers,
Mike

That's awesome!

Marty America

• Roadie Software, LLC
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »

Could anyone with live recording experience recommend a software that I can use with my QU-16 to record live shows? It must record the stereo output that I can quickly burn to a CD between sets. I have a MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz, Intel Core i5 with OS X 10.8.4.

I know I can record direct to disk but I would need to continually unplug the drive from the mixer and plug it back in. Anyone who has done that knows that it takes a while for the board to read the disk and get ready to record again.
Marty America
Chaska, MN

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »

Could anyone with live recording experience recommend a software that I can use with my QU-16 to record live shows? It must record the stereo output that I can quickly burn to a CD between sets. I have a MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz, Intel Core i5 with OS X 10.8.4.

I know I can record direct to disk but I would need to continually unplug the drive from the mixer and plug it back in. Anyone who has done that knows that it takes a while for the board to read the disk and get ready to record again.

GarageBand can do that fairly easily; I'm fairly sure there's an export to CD of option. I don't recommend GB for multitrack recordings but its fine for stereo tracks. Also you could apply whatever plugins were appropriate for the recording while exporting. The only issue might be exporting the individual songs as separate tracks; I can't remember if that's easy to do or not. I'll look let you know when I get a chance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Edit: Just checked GB and it doesn't appear to have an easy way to split and export the recorded set to a CD(or .wav/.mp3 files). In Audacity you can record the stereo mix and push a button(command+. by default) to create labels on the fly for each track. The project can be exported as multiple .wav(or whatever format is best) files and imported into iTunes(or another CD burning app) to make the CD.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:14:42 PM by Tommy Peel »

Don Robinson

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2013, 10:44:03 AM »

I got my Qu-16 2 weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to use it in our next gig. I'm in a small, 3 person wedding band and we mix from stage. Can't wait to do our first virtual sound check using the Qu drive!

Nice idea about the physically routed mix / subgroup. Make sure that the return channels aren't assigned to the wrong output mix to prevent a feedback loop :-)

Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting the scene filters / global safes. At this moment, all parameters are saved in a scene (including master volume). Great for some initial scenes, but I wouldn't want to recall such scene during a song, and have the master volume changed unintentionally.
When it becomes possible I'm planning to create several "partial scenes". One with all pre-amp settings, one with the master mix and all in ear mixes of the band members and finally some partial scenes containing several different FX settings.

In my band there's a guitarist / lead singer, a female singer, and I play the keyboards (a Tyros 3). We use midi files and several Tyros 3 styles and we play / sing along.
Now the ultimate goal is to trigger the right scene from these midi files automatically (ie. when there's a guitar solo at measure 30 --> recall partial scene "guitar solo", with adjusted main mix).
I intend to use the Ethernet port on the Qu-16 for this (MIDI over Ethernet). Tyros 3 is connected over USB to a laptop which in turn is connected to the Qu 16 over Ethernet. I'm a software engineer, so I'm able to create a small tool which will relay these Midi messages correctly.

One thing I miss on the Qu-16 is the mute FX foot switch which is present on the MixWizard3 16:2 (which we used until now).

However: I managed to create a simple Android app which connects to the Qu-16 over Ethernet. The app has 2 large buttons, FX on / FX off.
I used the GLD 80 TCP/IP specifications http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?filename=DocumentMaster/GLD/GLD%20TCPIP%20Protocol%20V1.1_1.pdf to determine which codes need to be sent over Ethernet. And to my surprise, these codes work on the Qu-16 as well! I managed to mute FX return channels 1 to 4 using my own app.
So in between songs, the lead singer can control the FX like he used to do with the foot switch, but now with his phone.

I'm also curious about the Qu-pad app. I already own an Android tablet, so no luck there. What to do... buy an I-pad just for remote mixing?
It's tempting for me to do some reverse engineering and try to build an Android mixing app myself (since muting the FX was so easy to do, right away).
Anyway, time is money... I'll have to think about how much spare time I'm willing to spend creating such an app.....

One final question: does anyone know if USB audio streaming for Windows PC's will be supported eventually, or will this remain a Macintosh specific feature forever?

All in all I'm very enthusiastic about the Qu-16, and I'm looking forward to use it to it's fullest potential!

- George

Hi George ,
Just wondering if you have been successful in doing scene changes via midi? i very much need to change scenes via midi foot pedal and/or via mainstage. Also FX muting is badly needed. I have the new Qu-Pad app but sadly scene changes and easy FX muting are not possible with it. Seems to be a major oversight!!
thanks
Don

George Wieggers

• Classic LAB
    • Feestband Fris
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »

Hi George ,
Just wondering if you have been successful in doing scene changes via midi? i very much need to change scenes via midi foot pedal and/or via mainstage. Also FX muting is badly needed. I have the new Qu-Pad app but sadly scene changes and easy FX muting are not possible with it. Seems to be a major oversight!!
thanks
Don

No, because I don't know the exact midi (over ethernet) commands to accomplish this (yet). A&H has to release the official TCP/IP specs for the Qu-16. As soon as these are available, then I can begin to try it.

This evening I'm planning to update my desk to the latest firmware and try the Qu-pad app using a borrowed Ipad.
I might use this tool in order to intercept and forward all TCP/IP traffic between the Ipad and the mixing desk, to figure out what data is sent back and forth.

So maybe.... maybe its possible to do some reverse engineering and find out the exact protocol.

But as you pointed out, the Qu-pad app doesn't support scene recall, so I won't be able to do so either.

I do wonder if my custom Android FX muting app still works after the firmware update. I'll have to test that as well....

- George

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.