ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 users  (Read 140658 times)

George Wieggers

• Classic LAB
    • Feestband Fris
Re: Qu-16 users
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »

I experimented a little with the scenes the other night. I saved two separate scenes and named the "Test 1" and "Test Two" The only real difference between them was the fader levels. I played some music through the Q-Drive and there was a noticeable delay when changing scenes. I don't know how it would affect the emcee mic because I haven't tried that yet.

The interesting point (and I have one) is the next morning, I restarted the board and Scene 1 was missing. There was a simply a blank space in the list where I had stored it. Just for giggles, I selected it and pressed load. The board locked up. None of the buttons, encoders or touch-screen controls responded.

Of course, I would never do anything like that during a live show (not on purpose anyway) and we are early adopters so this sort of thing is to be expected. I haven't reported it to A&H because it would be difficult to reproduce.

Question... how long was this delay? When switching scenes myself I noticed that audio levels change almost immediately (fraction of a second).... but physical fader levels follow a bit later...

Another question... was there a noticeable silent "gap" in audio while switching scenes on your board? I didn't encounter one on my board. I'm curious if you did.

As for the missing scene.... I sure hope that A&H get the USB data feature sorted out soon, so that scenes can be backed up on external media.

- George

Marty America

• Roadie Software, LLC
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »

I did a bit more experimenting this afternoon. This time I hooked up a mic to mimic an emcee and there was no audible loss when I loaded a scene as long as the levels were set the same on that channel.

When A&H adds scene filters, I wonder if we will be able to exclude individual channels. There's a momentary drop-out (milliseconds but still audible) when changing scenes while playing a wave file from the Q-drive but I certainly can live with that.
Marty America
Chaska, MN

Marty America

• Roadie Software, LLC
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »

I was hoping that a delay could be added to the Alt-Out so I could use it to run the delay speakers without having to carry an external delay unit. Here's what I've come up with so far. It's a bit convoluted. Feel free to shoot holes in it. I haven't tried it yet.

Patch the 2TRK Out to Stereo 1 In using short, balanced jumpers.
Assign Stereo 1 to Mix 9-10
Assign Alt-Out source to Mix 9-10
Drive the Delay Speakers off the Alt Out Jacks
Adjust the delay at the Stereo 1 Process Screen
Marty America
Chaska, MN

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »

I was hoping that a delay could be added to the Alt-Out so I could use it to run the delay speakers without having to carry an external delay unit. Here's what I've come up with so far. It's a bit convoluted. Feel free to shoot holes in it. I haven't tried it yet.

Patch the 2TRK Out to Stereo 1 In using short, balanced jumpers.
Assign Stereo 1 to Mix 9-10
Assign Alt-Out source to Mix 9-10
Drive the Delay Speakers off the Alt Out Jacks
Adjust the delay at the Stereo 1 Process Screen

Marty...

It should work fine.  That's essentially the same hard patch I'm using to get a single fader sub-group control on the second layer.

The "alt out" jacks are just that:  jacks. 

You have to feed them something.....as you've done.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Marty America

• Roadie Software, LLC
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »

It worked!
With one caveat. I had to set the delay time at the Mix 9-10 Output instead of the Stereo One Input. The delay at the Stereo 1 Input didn't do anything. Maybe it hasn't been implemented yet.

This is great. You have to go to the output screen to set the EQ anyway. That's where you will set the delay.
Marty America
Chaska, MN

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »

First live use:

After being an owner for about a month, I am finally a user, having done my first live job on the Qu-16.  Three groups:

1.  5-piece mostly a capella male vocals, some guitar, bazouki and accordion on a few songs.  Five vocal mics, four instrument inputs.

2.  6-piece stringband with 2 x 6-strings, 1 x 12 string, 2 mandolins, Appalachian dulcimer and two vocal mics.

3.  Four piece bluesy ensemble, Strat, Jaguar/slide, bass and drums.  3 vocal mics.

Venue was outdoor stage for the start/finish of a large bike tour.  Fairly severe SPL limits due to the neighborhood, but good, clear sound delivered over a large parking lot approximately 100' x 200'.  Two tops, no subs.

It's one thing to set up a board for practice and familiarization, another thing entirely to be "under the gun" and remember where things are and how to get there, but even this old dog made it through with very little pain.  It was made easier by the first group doing 25 minutes of a capella material before adding any instruments, so I had it easy at the start.

It took me a bit of work to finally get the reverb going, but after a face-palm (DOH!!!) I found the proper assignment I had overlooked and the big light bulb went on regarding digital routing.  Let's call it a "Eureka" moment....

By the time the third group was on I had everything I needed and could easily flip through the "on faders" functions (GEQ, mix sends, mix returns, FX, etc).  I see why people might prefer faders to pots on this, but I'll never gripe about using pots as that's the way I learned in the first place, so no biggie.  But faders are nicer, I'll admit.

Stellar sound quality.  Compact.  Easy to use.

When the full feature set is finally implemented with updates, this will replace all my other stuff.  I anticipate breaking down and getting a pad for remote mixing/tweaking.  I'll probably have the money saved for the pad and the router by the time the features are activated.

I would love to see the addition of a downward expansion option to the gating as I've been spoiled by that feature on the StudioLive.  But I fully expect this "baby brother" in the iLive/GLD family to receive the benefit of using the 2412 stage box to add another 8 channels of input on the soon-to-be activated third "user config" layer, so it becomes a very compact 24 channel desk when utilized with the stage box.

Very pleased with this little desk.  Nice having a touch-screen.  Am patiently awaiting a cornucopia of features to be implemented/added over the next year or so.

I'm very sure I've purchased my last console, going from a MixWiz 16:2dx as my first live board and ending with a "DigiWiz".

More reports to come...

George Wieggers

• Classic LAB
    • Feestband Fris
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »

I also used the Qu-16 for the first time this weekend, in two gigs.

Friday night there was a public party in a nearby town. We played there and used the Qu-16 to mix from stage.
I guess there were about 150 people in the tent.
We arrived there early and had plenty of time to do several virtual sound checks, but no major adjustments were necessary.

Saturday night we played at a private party with about 100 guests.

The Qu-16 performed flawlessly during both events. My in-ear headphones was connected to the mixing desk, so I was able to switch between my own in ear mix, and (occasionally) the main mix using the PFL function.

By now I also have a working Android app. The lead singer / guitar player uses it on his phone to mute the FX while doing announcements in between (and even during!) songs. It worked like a charm!

(look at the Qu-16.... it's right there in the background  8))

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »

I also used the Qu-16 for the first time this weekend, in two gigs.

Friday night there was a public party in a nearby town. We played there and used the Qu-16 to mix from stage.
I guess there were about 150 people in the tent.
We arrived there early and had plenty of time to do several virtual sound checks, but no major adjustments were necessary.

Saturday night we played at a private party with about 100 guests.

The Qu-16 performed flawlessly during both events. My in-ear headphones was connected to the mixing desk, so I was able to switch between my own in ear mix, and (occasionally) the main mix using the PFL function.

By now I also have a working Android app. The lead singer / guitar player uses it on his phone to mute the FX while doing announcements in between (and even during!) songs. It worked like a charm!

(look at the Qu-16.... it's right there in the background  8))

George...

So glad to hear your results.  Looking forward to your obvious additions to the Qu-16 user-set.  I have finally seen the advantages of remote access and would prefer to not have to buy into the iCorp if another device is available.

Keep it coming.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »

Hi George,

Could you share any more info on your Android APP and it's features?

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Re: Qu-16 Users / ISO Android App
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:23 PM »

I have finally seen the advantages of remote access and would prefer to not have to buy into the iCorp if another device is available.

Concur.  I was mocked elsewhere in this forum for holding out for an Android app, but for ethical reasons I won't knowingly buy anything from that fruit-named entity nor by Hon Hai/Foxconn (the corporation that actually assembles the things).  I don't need remote access enough to compromise.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Qu-16 Users / ISO Android App
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:23 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.