ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 users  (Read 108405 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Qu-16 users
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 04:46:29 pm »

So, how about those X32's, Expression's, and Pro series desks??

Nice board Dick, and I wish you lot's of good luck with it.

Thanks, Bob.  It's certainly going to lighten my load.

Ain't it great sitting at the "end of the pipeline" waiting for the latest firmware updates?  What a way to spend my dotage.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 07:21:21 pm »

I finally got my Qu-16 about 10 days ago, and it was worth the wait.  BIG ups to  Ryan Jenkins (LOUDMUSIC) for handling the order for me.

So, I now have a comprehensive 16 channel desk to handle the average jobs.  Very compact, so this old man can put it in a spare accordion padded case and sling it over his shoulder.  I'm keeping my SLive 24:4:2 for when I need a higher channel count, but it looks like it'll be 4 gigs on the Qu to 1 on the SLive.

The Presonus took me about an hour to figure out.  The Qu-16 a couple of hours as it has more features.  I've gone over all the current functions (much, much more in the pipeline) and even found a way to route stuff to a functional sub-group by using one of the stereo auxes to feed one of the Stereo Inputs via an XLRF>TRS jumper.  So no lack of sub-group capability there.

The only thing that I'll really, REALLY miss (and will be begging A&H to put on their future features list) will be the SLive downward expanders.  Absolutely the best way to keep a mix clean on a loud stage with the typical multi-band, no change-over time gigs.

So I'm hoping to hear from other Qu-users here.

WARNING:

Anyone chiming in with posts on other desks with larger channel counts, twice the price or ANYTHING about the X32 will incur severe displeasure and instantly placed in the "iggy bin" to rot for eternity.

DR
Hi Dick,

Clever thinking to create "subgroups" by basically routing them yourself ;)

At the risk of putting myself in the "iggy bin", I would like to ask a few questions with regards to other mixers ;)

First, was it just size, or something else that the Qu-16 had that made you want to get it instead of just sticking with your SL?

Second, since the price of the Qu-16 is identical to the Expression Si, what was it that made you pick the Qu-16 over the Expression Si?

The last time I checked, A&H hadn't released a new version of firmware ..... so still no remote mixing, and no custom layer support.  Were these features you didn't really need, or are just willing to wait a bit for?

Thanks Dick.  I am really close to replacing my MixWiz with one of the new digital mixers and would appreciate knowing your thought process.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 07:26:05 pm »

Hi Dick,

Clever thinking to create "subgroups" by basically routing them yourself ;)

At the risk of putting myself in the "iggy bin", I would like to ask a few questions with regards to other mixers ;)

First, was it just size, or something else that the Qu-16 had that made you want to get it instead of just sticking with your SL?

Second, since the price of the Qu-16 is identical to the Expression Si, what was it that made you pick the Qu-16 over the Expression Si?

The last time I checked, A&H hadn't released a new version of firmware ..... so still no remote mixing, and no custom layer support.  Were these features you didn't really need, or are just willing to wait a bit for?

Thanks Dick.  I am really close to replacing my MixWiz with one of the new digital mixers and would appreciate knowing your thought process.

Scott..

Since I am the OP, I clicked on the "view this post" option to see what you had to say.  Truth to tell, you've been in the "Iggy Bin" for quite a while, mostly for your own protection to keep me from ragging on you and not anything really personal.

I intend this to be a discussion of this particular desk, what it can and can't do and how to get the most out of it.  As such, your questions are off topic and get no answer.

Sorry.   

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 08:37:28 pm »

Scott..

Since I am the OP, I clicked on the "view this post" option to see what you had to say.  Truth to tell, you've been in the "Iggy Bin" for quite a while, mostly for your own protection to keep me from ragging on you and not anything really personal.

I intend this to be a discussion of this particular desk, what it can and can't do and how to get the most out of it.  As such, your questions are off topic and get no answer.

Sorry.   

Fair enough.  Since you mentioned your SL in your post and made this statement:
Anyone chiming in with posts on other desks with larger channel counts, twice the price or ANYTHING about the X32 will incur severe displeasure and instantly placed in the "iggy bin" to rot for eternity.
I thought that perhaps the SL and Expression Si comparisons were fair game.  Didn't mean to derail your thread.

How are the quality of the verbs?  They are reportedly using the iLive algorithms, so one would think they would sound outstanding.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 08:47:01 pm »

How are the quality of the verbs? 

Very, very good.  My most used reverb has been the TCE M2000.  These are better.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:16 pm »

So how would the Qu-16 compare to, say, the X32 Studiolive 16.4.2 then ( :P )...if you have any idea of the 16.4.2 versus the full 24-channel.  I run a 24.4.2 right now, and I'd like to pick up a small rackmount board for DJ shows and small bands, to prevent lugging my 24.4.2 around (or the 32.4.2 when it comes out).
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 08:27:03 am »

So how would the Qu-16 compare to, say, the X32 Studiolive 16.4.2 then ( :P )...if you have any idea of the 16.4.2 versus the full 24-channel.  I run a 24.4.2 right now, and I'd like to pick up a small rackmount board for DJ shows and small bands, to prevent lugging my 24.4.2 around (or the 32.4.2 when it comes out).

Mike...

Other than your association with (UGH) DJ's, our situations would be identical.  I can tell you that I've owned and used both the 16 and 24 channel models of the SLive, sold the 16 to get the 24 for the feature-set upgrade and quite enjoy the simplicity of the board.  I'll hang on to the 24, but I needed another 16 channel board, having sold off my MixWiz to a church group in Iowa City.

The Qu-16 really is a "digital MixWiz".  The original Wiz has rightly achieved "venerable" status for being a rugged, useful, affordable audio tool.  I sense the Qu will fill a similar niche in this "New World" of smaller digital audio consoles. 

Scott Bolt

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 04:17:25 pm »

Mike...

Other than your association with (UGH) DJ's, our situations would be identical.  I can tell you that I've owned and used both the 16 and 24 channel models of the SLive, sold the 16 to get the 24 for the feature-set upgrade and quite enjoy the simplicity of the board.  I'll hang on to the 24, but I needed another 16 channel board, having sold off my MixWiz to a church group in Iowa City.

The Qu-16 really is a "digital MixWiz".  The original Wiz has rightly achieved "venerable" status for being a rugged, useful, affordable audio tool.  I sense the Qu will fill a similar niche in this "New World" of smaller digital audio consoles.
Dick,

It is my understanding that when the new firmware is released, the Qu-16 will support the a GLD-84 stage box (I believe they may support 2 of them and you would likely use the custom layer to control the additional 16 inputs this would give you).  That would give you a total of 24 or 32 inputs with the Qu-16.  Looks like the GLD-84 goes for around $1200.00, so upgrading would be costly.  If you only needed one and could live with 24 channels, that may be preferable to having 2 mixers.

Just a thought ;)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »

Dick,

It is my understanding that when the new firmware is released, the Qu-16 will support the a GLD-84 stage box (I believe they may support 2 of them and you would likely use the custom layer to control the additional 16 inputs this would give you).  That would give you a total of 24 or 32 inputs with the Qu-16.  Looks like the GLD-84 goes for around $1200.00, so upgrading would be costly.  If you only needed one and could live with 24 channels, that may be preferable to having 2 mixers.

Just a thought ;)

Scott,  to the best of my knowledge, the QU-16 will work with an AR2412, or the AR84 when the feature is turned on in a firmware update.  MAP on the AR2412 is $2199, MAP on the AR84 is $1099.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 07:05:38 pm »

Dick,

It is my understanding that when the new firmware is released, the Qu-16 will support the a GLD-84 stage box (I believe they may support 2 of them and you would likely use the custom layer to control the additional 16 inputs this would give you). That would give you a total of 24 or 32 inputs with the Qu-16.  Looks like the GLD-84 goes for around $1200.00, so upgrading would be costly.  If you only needed one and could live with 24 channels, that may be preferable to having 2 mixers.

Just a thought ;)

Idle speculation.  We'll know soon enough. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 07:05:38 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.