ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Click Track & Butt-Kicker  (Read 1808 times)

Adam Gough

Click Track & Butt-Kicker
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:35:07 am »

Hi Everyone.

I found an old thread on this subject, but nothing with any recent additions. I'd like to hear any ideas around this rather tricky problem we have:

We are a progressive rock band with lots of samples and orchestration that simply can't all be reproduced in a live environment. So, tracks are necessary.

But - our drummer has a medical ear problem that causes him a lot of pain when using headphones with an actual click track.

I'd like to know whether it is a viable alternative to use a Butt Kicker to replace the audible click track with a tactile "click" that he can feel through his seat.

We make the click tracks manually with triggered samples, so using a sound with lots of bass - such as an actual sample of his own kick drum - would not be a problem.

He would have ONLY this click in the butt kicker, and then normal monitoring with a wedge.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup?

ANY feedback at all would be hugely appreciated. As you can imagine, it's horrible to have a band member suffering through gigs like this.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:40:31 am by greasykid1 »

Adam Gough

Re: Click Track & Butt-Kicker
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:51:45 am »

Thank you both for the feedback.

I think it should be possible - as you say, with trial and error on the sample being used. In the past, I have actually edited samples used for the clicks so that the attack time is zero, just to ensure the click is right on the beat. I can easily do the same for this.

I expect there will be some latency as well, even if it's only a few milliseconds. I can account for that also.

The setup we use is just one Logic project with individual sends for all tracks (to engineer) and click (to drummer's own desk for his cans). This just isn't a great scenario for him any more.

I've secured a loan of a butt kicker from our regular gear store and we'll try it out when it arrives.

I'll post results so anyone else with similar issues might benefit.

Thanks again.
Adam.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Click Track & Butt-Kicker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:54:07 am »

Is Greasykid1 you REAL NAME?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.