ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I spend more on speakers or mixer  (Read 27918 times)

Tony Shui

Re: Should I spend more on speakers or mixer
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 02:31:40 pm »

Next year is not really possible. Kids are getting more expensive as they grow older. ;-) But it's a good option that we could add another one later. Much better than upgrading the whole system down the road. Thanks Mark and Scott for pointing me to the new direction and Jay for the reassurance. :-)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 04:13:09 pm »

Mike, thank you for the tip on the cables. I will definitely check them out.

Ivan, we might also use it for backyard parties or even in a much bigger basement that's why we plan to get a PA system. And I don't think stereo speakers we have would handle live vocal well.
I did not figure the vocals going through the speakers-just the tracks.

The vocals should be loud enough by themselves (for 200sq ft)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 06:15:37 pm »

Next year is not really possible. Kids are getting more expensive as they grow older. ;-) But it's a good option that we could add another one later. Much better than upgrading the whole system down the road. Thanks Mark and Scott for pointing me to the new direction and Jay for the reassurance. :-)

Let us know how it sounds when you get it hooked up.  I think you are in for a very pleasant surprise.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 06:31:00 pm »

Don't forget to consider used gear. You will get much better stuff for the same money.

Check out the Marketplace forum on this site and on Soundforums.net.

People are selling stuff all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tony Shui

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »

Let us know how it sounds when you get it hooked up.  I think you are in for a very pleasant surprise.
I sure will. Now I am still trying to decide if I should get ZLX 15P or something else in the same price range. What do you think?

Don't forget to consider used gear. You will get much better stuff for the same money.

Check out the Marketplace forum on this site and on Soundforums.net.

People are selling stuff all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I am not very experienced with hardware. Not sure if I should trade warranty with good price but thanks for your advice.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 07:07:23 pm »

I sure will. Now I am still trying to decide if I should get ZLX 15P or something else in the same price range. What do you think?
I am not very experienced with hardware. Not sure if I should trade warranty with good price but thanks for your advice.

The only other well-respected 15" powered speaker I am aware of in this very low price range is the Alto TS115a.  I have not A/B'd these speakers and can't comment.

If you add another $300.00 to the pot, you can get the Yamaha DXR15 which gets pretty good reviews and gets a little louder than the ZLX.

I would recommend you go listen to all 3 15" speakers and determine which one you want to put your money into.  I have a feeling that the DXR15 will sound better than the other two, but you may not think it sounds $300.00 better ;)

Tony Shui

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 07:49:25 pm »

I've heard Yamaha DXR12 at friend's place and I liked it. What scares me is that if I start doing this I might want to add another $300 to get something even better and my other half will not like it. :-)

What if I stick to 12" powered speakers. That way I might get something decent within my budget.

Pete Bansen

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »

I've heard Yamaha DXR12 at friend's place and I liked it. What scares me is that if I start doing this I might want to add another $300 to get something even better and my other half will not like it. :-)

What if I stick to 12" powered speakers. That way I might get something decent within my budget.

For your application, I don't think you would be the least bit unhappy with 12" speakers.  You can analyze this to death - see if there's someplace you can go listen to some speakers and see what sounds good.  I'm betting that the DXR12's or ELX112P's would be very pleasing.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 11:11:45 pm »

we will need some mics not only good for vocal but also would be able to deal with feedbacks well and that's why Beta 58 was on my list.

Mics do not cause or prevent feedback.     Feedback is caused when the system is improperly set up.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Jim Thorn

• State College, PA
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 11:17:58 pm »

Tony,
   If I were in your position, I would not hesitate to spend the extra money to get the A&H mixer over the Yamaha.  The tone controls on the A&H will make it MUCH easier to flatter individual voices, especially when mixing harmony vocals with lead vocals.  You also get USB input and output, which you are very likely to grow into as you become comfortable playing with your new system.  I agree with others that you will likely be happy with 12-inch powered speakers (or even a single 12-inch speaker.)
   If you use a single speaker, just remember to feed the speaker from the mixer's left output, and wire the player of stereo karaoke tracks so that the player's left output feeds the left input of ONE line-level stereo input channel, and the player's right output feeds the left input of ANOTHER  stereo line-level input.  If you were to wire the player conventionally to a single stereo input, the player's right output will not be heard in the speaker.
   If the singers stay close to the mics, feedback is unlikely to be an issue at reasonable volumes.
   Best of luck--I think you're going to have a lot of fun!

Jim Thorn

My wife and I both loved singing since we were young. But after getting married and had kids we just didn't have time for it any more. Now kids are getting a little bit older we want to get back in the game. :-)

Our budget is $1200 and we will use $200 for hosting software & some new songs and $1000 for hardware. We will use the system in a 200 sf room. We have a two-year old laptop running Windows 7 and an old mic (http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/665bdf92967733dc/) we could use. Not sure if that mic is good for singing though as it was given to us by a relative who used it for recording. I also hope I could use my audioengine D1 DAC (http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-D1) as well but I am not sure if it's suitable.

After a lot of reading on the internet including this great forum, I have come to the following two systems:

#1:

Speakers: Two Electro-Voice ZLX-12P $400x2

Mixer: Yamaha MG82CX $160

Stands: On-Stage SSP7900 $70

Cables: I have no clue here

Anything else I've missed?

#2:

Speakers: Two Alto TS112a $300x2

Mixer: Allen & Heath ZED 10fx $300

Others: same as plan #1

So if you guys are in the market today which setup would you pick? Or if you have better suggestions, even if it's a passive + amp combo, as long as the setup fits our budget. I am all ears.

We want to purchase the system during the labour day long weekend sale (if there is any). Or should we wait until Black Friday? Any specific dealer you prefer (sweetwater, americanmusical, zzounds & musiciansfriend)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 11:17:58 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 22 queries.