ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I spend more on speakers or mixer  (Read 27957 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Should I spend more on speakers or mixer
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 12:46:47 pm »

Thanks Mark. Looks like we'll have to save up for a pair of Shure SM58 or Shure Beta 58. Can't believe this is getting expensive so quickly. :-)

IMHO, you definitely don't need to buy a beta 58s on a $1200 budget. They'd take up a huge % of that money, and 58s will serve you about just as well.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 12:49:56 pm »

speakers

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Tony Shui

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 12:57:14 pm »

Tim, thanks for the link to the CBI cables but I didn't see a price listed for some reason.

Corey, thanks for the tips re mics. AT2010 looks like a good contender.

Samuel, our current location for the planned setup is only about 16'x16' so we will need some mics not only good for vocal but also would be able to deal with feedbacks well and that's why Beta 58 was on my list.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 01:03:48 pm »

My wife and I both loved singing since we were young. But after getting married and had kids we just didn't have time for it any more. Now kids are getting a little bit older we want to get back in the game. :-)

Our budget is $1200 and we will use $200 for hosting software & some new songs and $1000 for hardware. We will use the system in a 200 sf room. We have a two-year old laptop running Windows 7 and an old mic (http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/665bdf92967733dc/) we could use. Not sure if that mic is good for singing though as it was given to us by a relative who used it for recording. I also hope I could use my audioengine D1 DAC (http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-D1) as well but I am not sure if it's suitable.

After a lot of reading on the internet including this great forum, I have come to the following two systems:

#1:

Speakers: Two Electro-Voice ZLX-12P $400x2

Mixer: Yamaha MG82CX $160

Stands: On-Stage SSP7900 $70

Cables: I have no clue here

Anything else I've missed?

#2:

Speakers: Two Alto TS112a $300x2

Mixer: Allen & Heath ZED 10fx $300

Others: same as plan #1

So if you guys are in the market today which setup would you pick? Or if you have better suggestions, even if it's a passive + amp combo, as long as the setup fits our budget. I am all ears.

We want to purchase the system during the labour day long weekend sale (if there is any). Or should we wait until Black Friday? Any specific dealer you prefer (sweetwater, americanmusical, zzounds & musiciansfriend)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I agree .... speaker (singular). 

Some things to consider. 

The class of speakers that are being recommended to you are much louder than you might think.  You won't need 2 of them for what you have listed as your usage.  I have a large 850 square foot basement that I can fill easily with a single DSR112 speaker doing karaoke and still have tons of room left in the speaker.

If you want to do any dance music and have punch in the bottom, you may want to investigate a 15" speaker vs a 12" speaker.  Again, a single speaker is all you need IMHO.  The DXR15 or something like it would fit into your budget and give you a very nice speaker to work with.

Trying to stay in your budget, here is what I would do:

(1) ZLX 15p - $500.00
(1) Allen & Heath ZED 10Fx - $300.00
(2) ND767a microphones - $200.00

I think you would be shocked at how good this system will sound.  If you can, go visit a Guitar Center and listen to these recommendations yourself.

Tony Shui

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 01:41:48 pm »

Thanks Scott for your advice. But here is where I get confused: in a Karaoke setup, even though vocal is in mono but the music tracks are still in stereo. Are you suggesting one PA speaker would be enough for music tracks as well or do I need another pair of stereo speakers for the music?

Scott Bolt

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 01:51:15 pm »

Thanks Scott for your advice. But here is where I get confused: in a Karaoke setup, even though vocal is in mono but the music tracks are still in stereo. Are you suggesting one PA speaker would be enough for music tracks as well or do I need another pair of stereo speakers for the music?

It is more than enough.  Just pan the stereo input to the side your mixer output is hooked up on.  It is a very simple setup which will sound great.

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 01:57:51 pm »

... even though vocal is in mono but the music tracks are still in stereo. Are you suggesting one PA speaker would be enough for music tracks as well or do I need another pair of stereo speakers for the music?

One of the (important) steps in mixing a song for distribution is to ensure that every song sounds good in mono.  A lot of music is actually heard in mono, i.e. from the next room, from a boom box where the speakers are a few inches apart, from the back corner seat of a car,... so one of steps in producing an album is to ensure mono compatibility.   

Having a single speaker shouldn't be a problem for your application, UNLESS Karaoke songs are mixed weird.  I don't have any experience with Karaoke but I can't imagine why it would be a problem.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Tony Shui

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 02:06:30 pm »

Never thought it could be done nicely with just one PA speaker because all the places we went to had two. Looks like I need to rethink about my plan.

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 02:15:30 pm »

Never thought it could be done nicely with just one PA speaker because all the places we went to had two. Looks like I need to rethink about my plan.

I've done sound for live bands with a single speaker for crowds of 50-100, coffee shop style.  As long as the volumes are reasonable its not a problem.  If you buy a recent model speaker you can always add a second one 'next year' as budget permits if you feel you really need it. 

In almost all cases one higher quality speaker is going to sound better than two lower quality speakers due to both the quality and the absence of comb filtering (interference between the two speakers at higher frequencies), as long as a single speaker (pattern) can cover the area you need to cover. 

Put the speaker up at the ceiling of your small room in a corner, pointed down a little, and you are good to go.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 02:22:15 pm »

Several of the bands I work with do small shows with only 1 speaker. I have even done larger shows in reflective spaces where I set up two speakers because that is what people expect but only turned one speaker on.

True stereo is rarer than most people think.
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 02:22:15 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.