ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended rider language - temporary roof structures  (Read 10167 times)

Justin Bartlett

Recommended rider language - temporary roof structures
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:20:52 pm »

The primary artist I work with (as TM/FOH) plays a moderate number of outdoor summer shows which use typical temporary stage/roof structures, but his contract rider does not currently include requirements for the construction of those roofs.  After the most recent collapse, which was a roof for a show that included an artist I've worked with in the past, I think it's time that we add such language, and artist management agrees.

I want to do two things:  first, I want to avoid getting into situations where a roof is cobbled together out of Genie construction lifts and truck straps.  Second, if the promoter provides such a "roof" despite the rider language, I want it to be clear that we have the right to refuse to play under such a roof and still receive full pay.

So I'm looking for suggestions for language and requirements for addition to our rider.  Any thoughts?

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: Recommended rider language - temporary roof structures
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:50:22 pm »

The primary artist I work with (as TM/FOH) plays a moderate number of outdoor summer shows which use typical temporary stage/roof structures, but his contract rider does not currently include requirements for the construction of those roofs.  After the most recent collapse, which was a roof for a show that included an artist I've worked with in the past, I think it's time that we add such language, and artist management agrees.

I want to do two things:  first, I want to avoid getting into situations where a roof is cobbled together out of Genie construction lifts and truck straps.  Second, if the promoter provides such a "roof" despite the rider language, I want it to be clear that we have the right to refuse to play under such a roof and still receive full pay.

So I'm looking for suggestions for language and requirements for addition to our rider.  Any thoughts?

Hello,

Include:  A Roof system Designed, and Manufactured by an entity that provides professional Roof Structures to the entertainment/event Industry.   This Roof System should include engineered drawings and specifications clearly tested and approved by Licensed Professional Engineers. All Load data, Wind speed tolerances, and Construction data is to be provided, on site, for inspection at ANYONE'S request.  The Roof System's design and construction should be approved by the Manufacturer's Insurance Carrier, and the Roof System Contractor's Insurance Carrier. The Roof System owner/Contractor shall assemble the structure in accordance with the Manufacturer's specifications.  An approved Roof System Technician will remain on premises and be available for any questions during the times of the Roof System's use. 

ABCD type Fire extinguishers shall be provided on each side of the stage.  The on-site Roof System Technician will monitor the National Weather service for the event of storms or winds approaching, and will notify all  Acts/Performers and their Management of approaching hazardous weather immediately.  The on-site Technician, and/or ______________________ will be the final judge as to whether a serious condition whether construction practices or hazardous weather are eminent .  If _____________________ or it's Management determines that it will not take the stage to perform due to possible hazardous weather or improper Roof Conditions, the act will be paid IN FULL as per the performance agreement.

Hammer
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:08:44 pm by Charlie Zureki »
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:06:20 pm »

Hello,

Include:  A Roof system Designed, and Manufactured by an entity that provides professional Roof Structures to the entertainment/event Industry.   This Roof System should include engineered drawings and specifications clearly tested and approved by Licensed Professional Engineers. All Load data, Wind speed tolerances, and Construction data is to be provided, on site, for inspection at ANYONE'S request.  The Roof System's design and construction should be approved by the Manufacturer's Insurance Carrier, and the Roof System Contractor's Insurance Carrier. The Roof System owner/Contractor shall assemble the structure in accordance with the Manufacturer's specifications.  An approved Roof System Technician will remain on premises and be available for any questions during the times of the Roof System's use. 

Hammer

To go about ten steps further, have the artists attorney write the language for you.

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 01:09:55 pm »

To go about ten steps further, have the artists attorney write the language for you.

I agree... but, the Attorney must KNOW what issues to cover in any agreement.  I under stand the probable 10th step, but, what are the other 9 steps that are missing ?

Hammer
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:48:30 pm by Charlie Zureki »

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 01:13:43 pm »

Thanks, guys.  I think I'll take Charlie's language with a bit of my own and send it to management with a recommendation that they have our attorney review it before inclusion in the rider.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:53:20 pm »

Well, you could do it one step at a time.  It's easy enough to include "no roofs supported by portable lifts" language for starters. 
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »

Well, you could do it one step at a time.  It's easy enough to include "no roofs supported by portable lifts" language for starters.

Hello..  I think it's easier to verbalize what someone would accept, than, to list all of the things that someone wouldn't accept.  But ???    ;)

Hammer

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 04:54:37 pm »

Hello..  I think it's easier to verbalize what someone would accept, than, to list all of the things that someone wouldn't accept.  But ???    ;)

Hammer

Yes, this is very important.  The wording that requires drawings and load ratings would be enough to eliminate most dangerous setups right from the get go.  I highly doubt anyone using genie lifts and truck straps would have gone through any effort to get the system documented.

I would actually request that the documentation for the roof system be provided in advance of the show a specific number of days in advance.  That would prevent the confrontation once you get there and they didn't bother to read that part of the rider.
Brian Jojade

ra byn taylor

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 05:14:19 pm »

Having been on a crew that was visiting an outdoor stage & watching the entire structure fail with my own eyes, I'll point out a few things that may help.

1. A professionally made structure that isn't set up correctly can fail.
2. A professionally made structure setup correctly but overloaded can fail.
3. A professionally made structure setup correctly but hit with the right storm can fail if left in the air
etc...

Where do you draw the line besides something as simple as: "The ARTIST reserves the right to cancel the performance & settle in full if the ARTISTS crew brings up concerns about the staging structure, asks questions & there is not an acceptable response or correction."

At the end of the day regarding the stage I witnessed fall, everyone got sued (not me but the promoter, stage provider, municipality that was hosting the event & was supposed to have the stage inspected, etc...)

How does one truly know when something is done poorly? The only way to know is to spend the time advancing the show in that regard & requesting proof of compliance by the provider (make & model of stage, loads, track record, insurance, etc...) & then to have a crew that knows what to look for.

In the case of the stage I saw fall, the stage provider had filled some trash bags with rocks as counter ballast & had only guy wired it down in 1 direction. The stakes in the ground were probably only 2' long & pulled right out. There may of been 50# of rocks in a few bags. There were still weld marks on the structure which had been put together in a rush to ship it in from 1/2 way across the US. Glaring warning signs were there.

If I'd put 1 ounce of energy into walking the stage rig, my buddy might walk without a cane. Instead I was just getting my monitor rig ready & such. Who knew you needed to worry about the stage as a sound person???

At the end of the day, a good storm that is ignored by the promoter & a currently performing artist that doesn't know better can have an accident with a well setup stage that is left flown. There is a point at which the roof should be lowered at the area cleared to protect life & limb & the rest is unimportant.

Unfortunately people are more greedy than cautious. I would keep it simple regarding legal language & realize that at the end of the day, it's up to you to watch out for your people & your audience. Pay or no pay.

You might put some clause in the contract about the ARTIST being completely clear of liability if there is an staging accident since the ARTIST will obviously not be providing the stage & will not have set it up themselves.

But everyone gets sued...

Best regards,

ra byn (robin)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:09:09 pm »

I would be careful about wording that  puts too much liability on you.  Requiring engineering, insurance and other documents is good. Saying you can walk if you don't think it's safe opens you up a bit more to legal responsibility if it fails and you didn't speak up.

A lawyer may have a better form of legal wording to help with that.  In the end every one gets sued.  Just don't put a bigger target up than you have to.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:09:09 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.