ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen & Heath QU-16 vs Behringer X32 series?  (Read 36747 times)

Randall Hyde

Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 vs Behringer X32 series?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 01:04:12 PM »

I've been offered a good deal on a Soundcraft Si Expression Compact 1 and have had a quick look at that. I really like the simple layout and it has digitally controllable gain and iPad remote without laptop. One thing I noticed about the Si is it doesn't appear to have a limiter?

I got to play around with one of the new Soundcrafts (3) lately. I basically dismissed it because there is no soft patching, no scribble strips, and all the fader assignments are hard coded. The different color LEDs on the faders (describing function) was nice, though.

Granted, the QU-16 doesn't have scribble strips, etc., either, but I can live with that given that it's a small-format board.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »

I got to play around with one of the new Soundcrafts (3) lately. I basically dismissed it because there is no soft patching, no scribble strips, and all the fader assignments are hard coded. The different color LEDs on the faders (describing function) was nice, though.

Granted, the QU-16 doesn't have scribble strips, etc., either, but I can live with that given that it's a small-format board.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From page 39 of the manual:

"The fader setup provides a mean to define which channels (or buses) appear on which
faders of which layers.

This feature allows almost any channel or mix master controller fader to be placed on any
layer, it is accessed from the FADER SETUP menu; there are essentially two elements to this, making new assignments and moving assignments.

Making a new assignment or changing a current assignment in the selected slot.

The FADER SETUP page displays two fixed data fields of:
• Fader Bank – Current active fader bank
• Slot Number – which slot (position) has the select active

The following fields group the available processing channels, buses and controllers allowing
easy selection of the channel bus or controller you wish to assign to the selected slot, selecting any field will offer a drop-down list as follows:
• Assign Mono Input – All 54 mono processing channels
• Assign Stereo Inputs - All 6 stereo processing channels
• Assign Mixes – All 14 mix bus masters
• Assign MTX – All 4 matrix bus masters
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 03:26:14 AM »

At the moment I am leaning towards the X32 Rack. I will be trying the QU-16 and X32 out this week but by the time I've bought a small mixer to go with the QU-16 and a decent case it is pushing the price out of my reach. Also, I'm not a full time sound engineer. If I were then I would definitely get the QU-16 but I have a feeling the X32 Rack will suite my needs providing I get on okay with the X32-Mix app.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 04:28:36 AM »

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

That's incorrect Randy. Any fader on any layer can be assigned any function. If you ran into a demo that was not able to perform this function it was because the board was running old version code below V9. I can't comment on "soft patching" because the definition of that varies by user. What is true is the fact the boards come from the factory with the channel strips / layers assigned in a logical manner that most people would use, but which can be changed as I had stated.

What doesn't change is the GEQ. Choosing a channel or output and pressing the upper or lower GEQ button puts the GEQ onto the board faders and sets the display to show a graphic of the GEQ and your adjustments in real time.

As for the scribble strips, I commented with a few other people in another thread that tape is faster, and some times better, than most digital scribble strips, and not having them on these boards is just fine by me. With that in mind there is an ability to name each channel or output, input, channel, function quickly, and choosing that an output, input, channel, or function will then the name of such in easy to read full text on the color display. One other feature that appeals to me is the detail which shows in the display automatically when making adjustments or when choosing a function. It's much more board than people give it credit, probably because most of the superfluous key pushing and illogical steps are eliminated. Work flow is precise and almost too easy.   
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 08:56:23 AM »

One other thing that I hadn't realized is that Allen & Heath charge $99 for the MixPad app for their iLive and I'm wondering if they will be charging for the Qu-Pad app for the QU-16!? This would push the price up further again!

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »

One other thing that I hadn't realized is that Allen & Heath charge $99 for the MixPad app for their iLive and I'm wondering if they will be charging for the Qu-Pad app for the QU-16!? This would push the price up further again!

Did you also notice that the GLD app is free? 

The iLive app is $99 because you can use it without a surface at all.  Totally different deal.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »

The iLive app is $99 because you can use it without a surface at all.  Totally different deal.

Ah no I didn't!! Thanks

Scott Bolt

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »

How is that different from the X32 iMix application or the X32 Edit?

I was able to download and run the iLive demo app for free.  I have to tell you, it seemed pretty bad to me.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »

How is that different from the X32 iMix application or the X32 Edit?

I was able to download and run the iLive demo app for free.  I have to tell you, it seemed pretty bad to me.

The iLive is so much more versatile than the X32.  You can access every feature on the iLive app and you are not limited to 32 channels.  You get an IDR rack of your choice and setup your network and you are ready for tour without any surface at all.  That is not the case of other consoles, not even GLD.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »

Yes I have to say the X32-Mix looks more user friendly. The Allen & Heath GLD remote looks a little better than the iLive MixPad though! Hopefully the QU-Pad will be better again and more refined!?

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 04:40:35 PM ยป

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.