ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Expression  (Read 49257 times)

Stan Shields

Re: Soundcraft Expression
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 03:39:20 PM »

What about flexibility? Am I right to assume that solid copper is stiffer than stranded cable? I have been using a PVC jacketed solid copper cat5e for over a year now (no issues) other than it's hard to handle, especially when it's cold. It has some nasty looking twists in it.
I never need more than 100ft. Can I safely use stranded? What about jacket material? are there any brands of pre-made cables that have a more-flexible, easier to handle jacket than the PVC?

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »

What about flexibility? Am I right to assume that solid copper is stiffer than stranded cable? I have been using a PVC jacketed solid copper cat5e for over a year now (no issues) other than it's hard to handle, especially when it's cold. It has some nasty looking twists in it.
I never need more than 100ft. Can I safely use stranded? What about jacket material? are there any brands of pre-made cables that have a more-flexible, easier to handle jacket than the PVC?

In theory, stranded cable has a higher flex life, but it also tends to not work as well for mass amounts of high speed data.  At 100ft I doubt you'd have any issue with a stranded cat5 cable, but at 100 meters you might have some issues.  The Pro Co Excellines Procat is one of the most flexible cat5 cables I've used.  I actually prefer a little stiffer cable though.  I feel it is less prone to kinks which are generally bad for any high frequency cable.

Stan Shields

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »

In theory, stranded cable has a higher flex life, but it also tends to not work as well for mass amounts of high speed data.  At 100ft I doubt you'd have any issue with a stranded cat5 cable, but at 100 meters you might have some issues.  The Pro Co Excellines Procat is one of the most flexible cat5 cables I've used.  I actually prefer a little stiffer cable though.  I feel it is less prone to kinks which are generally bad for any high frequency cable.

Thanks Michael.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 10:47:46 PM »

FWIW - I have used Belden 1305A stranded tactical Cat5e cable in 250 foot lengths for all of my digital snakes for 5 years with no issues whatsoever.  I use these with Soundcraft Vi and Si, Avid SC48 with remote pres and Midas Pro2 with DL251.  I suspect that if lengths are pushed to the limit the solid core will perform better.  I do not know exactly what that limit is, but 250' has proved to be rock solid for me.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »

Vi3000 is sending DANTE/MADI out 1-64.. SiPerformer receives those channels on MADI in 65-128 (still don't fully understand why our installation company set it up this way). Installed DANTE card in SiPerformer DirOuts (set to consecutive outs 1-64) appear at DANTE Virtual SoundCard from 1-32 just fine.. But then DANTE out 33-48 appear at 41-64 in Virtual Sound Card and I lose 49-64 from the SiPerf because of the offset.

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

Any time you move or change an I/O card or it's settings, you should re-discover the card.
It will often add phantom channels to the list.

Go to Show / Reset Config.

Your routing will go away, but the installed channels should show up.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Grant Birchard

• New Destiny Productions
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »

Vi3000 is sending DANTE/MADI out 1-64.. SiPerformer receives those channels on MADI in 65-128 (still don't fully understand why our installation company set it up this way). Installed DANTE card in SiPerformer DirOuts (set to consecutive outs 1-64) appear at DANTE Virtual SoundCard from 1-32 just fine.. But then DANTE out 33-48 appear at 41-64 in Virtual Sound Card and I lose 49-64 from the SiPerf because of the offset.

Any thoughts?

Any time you move or change an I/O card or it's settings, you should re-discover the card.
It will often add phantom channels to the list.

Go to Show / Reset Config.

Your routing will go away, but the installed channels should show up.
There was no moving or changing of cards. And our install guy did the reset config upon install. Same problem as I describe above. Something wrong with the firmware itself is my best guess.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 05:50:10 PM »

I just spent some time experimenting with different configurations on both of my Performers (should work for Impact also).
Here's what I've concluded.

Put the MADI card for the stage box in slot 2.
IMO, this card should stay there, whether you use a second card or not.
You can set the DIP switches to 32 in and 16 out if you want.
This slot is 64 In 32 Out.

Put your Dante, MADI or other interface in slot 1 to get all 64 I/O, with all dips set to ON.

Go to Show, Reset config to re-discover cards.
Go to System, Reset Patching to reset all IO to default settings.
Unfortunately, you will have to re-map your channel I/O, but this seems to be the most consistent way to come up with the right config.

This setup gets me 64 channels I/O through my RME MADI card to my laptop perfectly.
The stagebox routing has a minor weirdness (not causing problems), as it shows both the MADI channels and the Stagebox channels.  They both get to the stagebox just fine.  It appears that the MADI channels are digital and the Stagebox channels are analog, based on the symbols of their icons.

Grant Birchard

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »

I just spent some time experimenting with different configurations on both of my Performers (should work for Impact also).
Here's what I've concluded.

Put the MADI card for the stage box in slot 2.
IMO, this card should stay there, whether you use a second card or not.
You can set the DIP switches to 32 in and 16 out if you want.
This slot is 64 In 32 Out.

Put your Dante, MADI or other interface in slot 1 to get all 64 I/O, with all dips set to ON.

Go to Show, Reset config to re-discover cards.
Go to System, Reset Patching to reset all IO to default settings.
Unfortunately, you will have to re-map your channel I/O, but this seems to be the most consistent way to come up with the right config.

This setup gets me 64 channels I/O through my RME MADI card to my laptop perfectly.
The stagebox routing has a minor weirdness (not causing problems), as it shows both the MADI channels and the Stagebox channels.  They both get to the stagebox just fine.  It appears that the MADI channels are digital and the Stagebox channels are analog, based on the symbols of their icons.
SUPER helpful Dave!! Just the answer we might be looking for as our cards are reversed from your suggestion and we still get that weird skip 8 in the Dante config to computer.

Thanks again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 03:29:04 PM »

Are your cards switched to 56 or 64 channels?
Maybe that could cause the 8 channel offset?

Grant Birchard

Soundcraft Expression
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »

Are your cards switched to 56 or 64 channels?
Maybe that could cause the 8 channel offset?
No… 64. Definitely! I checked that first before even posting here. What's weird is hanging my MacBook Pro off the Dante line on the VI 3000 down in the main hall gets me 1 to 64 perfectly aligned into my computer. But hanging the same MacBook Pro through the same settings in Audinate Dante app hanging off the card in the Si Performer 3 board up in the booth gets me the offset of 8.

ProSoundWeb Community

Soundcraft Expression
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.