ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL series  (Read 33139 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Yamaha CL series
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »

CL solutions here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:03:38 PM by Doug Fowler »
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Cailen Waddell

Re: Yamaha CL5
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Yamaha CL series
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »

A single CL5 console with :
• two Netgear GS110TP Ethernet Switches each loaded with a single TRENDnet Mini-GBIC Multi-Mode SX Fiber Module in the doghouse
• two Netgear switches at the stage for a pair of RIO 3224s all run in redundant mode. 
• two Whirlwind Fiber Optic multimode cables with OpticalCon Duo connectors on reels. 
• Back up cable is a 100 Meter Fiber, Multimode 50/125,  LC to LC connectors from Ebay because hey it costs $80 and weighs ten lbs ON A REEL! 
• 328 ft six pair copper fan to fan snake for comm and utility. 

Still working on a tidy in-doghouse interface and mounting for the switches ( better than velcro  that is ) and OpticalCon connectors but it sure is nicer than the 500 lbs of Ramlatch 54 + 12 + AC that it replaces.  The switches are 'recommended' by Audinate but do require line lumps with those cheesy consumer DC input connectors.  Small UPS at FOH and in the RIO rack for power dropout survival.

Have to make the whole set up a little more mix and match for use with the 5D and LS9s as  I have  Dante MY cards for those consoles but not implemented as yet.

NB - Choice of fiber was the option of running substantially longer runs when needed, the option of running the console on local power ( no copper connection to stage boxes ) and not insignificant a large rental house nearby stocks the same Opticalcon equipped multimode fiber.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:48:54 AM by Riley Casey »

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »

We've done a few multi-CL-console setups with the ProPlex PPGBS010R switches from TMB - it's a Cisco switch inside, but ProPlex boxes it up nice with Ethercon connectors and Powercon for the AC inlet. Only complaint is that they are a deep single rack space, and don't fit in a lot of our racks. These particular models can be upgraded to fiber fairly easily, but we haven't yet needed to do so.

Generally we have ProCo DuraCat cables, ruggedized Cat5e and Cat6 with Ethercon ends. Also there's a big 4 channel Cat5e cable made of Gepco CTS4504HDX which we bought as 300' for a rental, thinking to cut it down into shorter segments later. But even 300' isn't much hassle to deal with, so it's stayed at that length.  It's fairly thick, almost an inch in diameter, but very light in weight.

Also a bunch of short Cat5e patch cables in different colors, to make it easy to keep track of separate primary/secondary networks within a rack.

BTW, any setup with more than one CL console should have all of the consoles' word clock changed from Internal to Dante, otherwise they'll try to force their own clock on the Dante network. With one console that's OK, with two there will be all sorts of problems that seem to have nothing to do with the clocking.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:10:35 AM by Scott Helmke (Scodiddly) »

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »

I use a Black Box TS580A "LAN Performance Verifier" to test and verify category performance of all the Ethernet cables we use for digital audio.  At $535USD it's a cheap necessity.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »

I use a Black Box TS580A "LAN Performance Verifier" to test and verify category performance of all the Ethernet cables we use for digital audio.  At $535USD it's a cheap necessity.

I think a cheap flashlight style fiber illuminator is a good thing to have as well. $40-$80 gets you a good one.

I just connected 2 CL-5s, 8 Rios, and 3 Ro8s with Pathport Via12 switches and multimode fiber. Worked a charm.

Mac

Jim Wilkens

• Marblehead MA
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 03:28:49 PM »

I've got questions.

Here's my set up. CL5 console with FOH rack, two RIO3224 stage racks. FOH rack and stage rack 1 have two CiscoGS300 switches in each set up as primary and secondary networks. Switches are wired to panel mount Opticalcon quad conectors and I have a 200 meter Opticalcon quad multimode cable. This set up works great and has a lot of flexibility.

Here are my questions. I'm setting up a VLAN on the secondary network for control. Do I need tobe concerned at all about clock synchronization with the two different networks carrying different traffic? Should I set up all the ports as trunk or make the control ports access? The port between FOH and stage will have to be trunk anyway. Does this make a real difference?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »

Here are my questions. I'm setting up a VLAN on the secondary network for control. Do I need tobe concerned at all about clock synchronization with the two different networks carrying different traffic? Should I set up all the ports as trunk or make the control ports access? The port between FOH and stage will have to be trunk anyway. Does this make a real difference?

No worries. You will be so far under the capability of your network you will never notice any other traffic.

As long as your switches are configured with QoS the Dante data will have the highest priority, and nothing will impinge on it. You can send 48x48 of Dante over a 100MB connection, so 64x64 will be under a 20% load on your network. The control data will be a tiny fraction of that. You will have network headroom for days.

Mac

Jim Wilkens

• Marblehead MA
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »

No worries. You will be so far under the capability of your network you will never notice any other traffic.

As long as your switches are configured with QoS the Dante data will have the highest priority, and nothing will impinge on it. You can send 48x48 of Dante over a 100MB connection, so 64x64 will be under a 20% load on your network. The control data will be a tiny fraction of that. You will have network headroom for days.

Mac

Thanks Mac. I'm curious if there is a way to actually monitor that load.

By the way, the Audinate folks at Infocomm informed me that there is now a way to edit your Dante patch off line with the new version on Dante Controller. I have not figured it out yet. Have you?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 05:41:24 PM »

Thanks Mac. I'm curious if there is a way to actually monitor that load.

By the way, the Audinate folks at Infocomm informed me that there is now a way to edit your Dante patch off line with the new version on Dante Controller. I have not figured it out yet. Have you?

I have run much larger systems than the one you have with both control and video distribution sharing the network with no issues. I'm sure there is a way to monitor the network load, but I don't know it.

The last time they told me about offline editing, it was by editing the text file that Dante Controller creates. Not really a solution as far as I'm concerned.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 05:41:24 PM ยป

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.