ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Snare mics  (Read 13871 times)

Evan Hunter

Re: Snare mics
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »

My go to snare mic is the EV ND 168. It sounds great and its very small for placement and keeping it out of the way. So far it has been rock solid in terms of durability. They are pretty hard to find though.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

Jesse gray

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 04:26:10 PM »

I like using two mics on the snare. The top for body, and the bottom for attack. Been using an Audix i5 for the top, and I really like using an sm57 for the bottom.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »

Kind of surprised to see so few recommendations for the good ol' SM57.

I haven't used a 57 live so I don't know what it's like to mix with one but when I was listening to various drum mic comparisons I tended to like the 57 better almost every time for snare and toms.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »

You could also go with the Shure Beta 98. Its smaller profile might help keep to keep it out of the way a bit more.

~Dave

MAYBE it keeps it out of the way, but one hit will destroy it.

e905 is easy to mount, can always make it sound right, and it takes the punishment.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Tomm Williams

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »

So the drummer hit the Opus 88 I had on the snare a little too hard this weekend and now it won't stay in place.  This has me thinking of getting a new mic.  Anyone have suggestions for a good reliable snare mic?

Beyer m201

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »

How so? I have been using mine on toms for over a decade, and have never had any issues. Of course, everyone's mileage varies. Just curious what issues you experienced. If it was placement, the newer ones have a different design. I have not used them, so I cannot comment on it, but it could be something helpful in some situations.

~Dave

I've gotten good mileage out of mine as well. When I first got mine, Dave Rat told me to never unplug them from either end. They stay attached in the bags they came in. I have 6 of them and love em. I'll use one on snare when there is no room for a dynamic

EvanKirkendall

• Personal Text?
    • Evan Kirkendall
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »

I use sennheiser E604 on all toms and snare. It's a small package, the rim clamps work flawlessly, and it sounds very similar to a 57.

Don't ever clamp a snare mic to the snare!!! Seriously- first time the drummer breaks a snare, your mic goes flying with it on the change!  I use LP claws- much nicer, easier to position, and they clamp to hardware and stay out of the way.

I use a Beyer M201 on snare top, and an Audio Technica AE3000 on snare bottom. Love the combo. :0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3dXuinyjh0

Evan
HarfordSound LLC
HarfordSound Facebook

-Your friendly neighborhood dealer for everything!-

*Voted most destructive on mids, 2006*
*Most low end at a rock show, 5 years running*

Rick Powell

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 07:26:15 PM »

Kind of surprised to see so few recommendations for the good ol' SM57.

My live drum mic kit is SM57's all around, and an Audix D6 for kick.  And every so often, I'll send the 57's back to Shure with $55 for "repair" and they'll send me a new one. Old reliable.

George Dougherty

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 01:19:03 AM »

So the drummer hit the Opus 88 I had on the snare a little too hard this weekend and now it won't stay in place.  This has me thinking of getting a new mic.  Anyone have suggestions for a good reliable snare mic?
Another vote for the e905 here.  I pull any ringing and it just sounds right most of the time.
I also position mine in an unorthodox fashion I picked up from an old studio cat.  Put the capsule aimed right at the rim, body aimed parallel to the head of the snare and position the capsule so the top of the rim splits it in half, part below on the rim and part above picking up the head.  The mic sits entirely off the snare head and it would take an incredibly bad drummer to hit the mic in that position. 

The real reason for that position though is to better balance cross-sticking to snare hits without having to rely as heavily on compression or constant fader riding.

Jason Tubbs

• Rochester, NY, USA
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »

I also position mine in an unorthodox fashion I picked up from an old studio cat.  Put the capsule aimed right at the rim, body aimed parallel to the head of the snare and position the capsule so the top of the rim splits it in half, part below on the rim and part above picking up the head.  The mic sits entirely off the snare head and it would take an incredibly bad drummer to hit the mic in that position.

+1, started doing this about 15 years ago and never looked back.  Particularly effective with an i5, with which I find a bottom mic is not usually necessary unless the drum is very deep.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.