ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Send main out to matrix first  (Read 17506 times)

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
Re: Send main out to matrix first
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 12:08:09 AM »

I'll try it on my next gig. So far I found a much more stable headphone volume, cause on the LS9 the headphones volume is based on the L/R fader (post-fader) and with the fader constantly at 0db helps with the headphones volume.

You can choose what the headphones hear in the monitor section of the setup. It need not be LR by default. When there's a solo engaged you hear the solo(s), but the monitor line can be fed by other options too.
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 08:17:42 AM »

Nils, I know that. I don´t use headphones that much, only to solo channels (mostly the main vocal). But it is still nice to have a steady volume when not on solo.
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Josh Hana

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 09:38:24 AM »

I find on the yami digitals I hardly ever set up auxes as groups, I just mix to VCAs, but I still like to have Matrices as outputs because of individual EQ, levels, processing, ect. Even a sub aux or mono feed I'll send to a matrix so that I only have to look at 1 page to see all of my outputs.

With the VENUE, it's a bit easier to build separate mixes with groups, and you can really get into detailed processing and control. I like to have as much of the "system processing" from within the console so I don't have to dive over to an outboard computer to make changes. If I'm the only one mixing for the night, I'll do almost everything from within the board.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »

I find on the yami digitals I hardly ever set up auxes as groups, I just mix to VCAs, but I still like to have Matrices as outputs because of individual EQ, levels, processing, ect. Even a sub aux or mono feed I'll send to a matrix so that I only have to look at 1 page to see all of my outputs.

Without groups you lose the ability to tailor the mix to the location. How do you reduce the band levels in the front fills without groups?

Mac

Chris Eddison

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »

I can see why on a Yamaha console you might not go via a matrix - the presence of level controls on the omni outs makes this a bit less important. As somebody who goes in to a lot of houses with their own PA, some of which have hotter inputs than others, it's nice to have somewhere between your master fader and your output to be able to match levels.
My own console is a Roland M480 and whilst all outputs are freely patchable, they take on the master gain of whatever bus you strap them across, so a matrix is necessary to attenuate or amplify your output in order to match a sensible level on the desk (one where you can actually see the meters moving, without anything clipping!) with the level in the PA that you desire.

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »

With the VENUE, it's a bit easier to build separate mixes with groups, and you can really get into detailed processing and control. I like to have as much of the "system processing" from within the console so I don't have to dive over to an outboard computer to make changes. If I'm the only one mixing for the night, I'll do almost everything from within the board.

On the LS9 I have all my outputs on one layer, so it's not a problem for me.

Josh Hana

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »

Without groups you lose the ability to tailor the mix to the location. How do you reduce the band levels in the front fills without groups?

Mac

My front fills are almost always their own dedicated mix, usually only vocals, and acoustics/keys, post fader.

On the Venue (which I'm mixing on more often than not), I'll feed front fills via groups, but it's still generally just vocals and instruments with little/no stage volume.

IMO there is no sense at all in feeding bass/guitars/drums into the front fills, they are always plenty loud on stage. The whole point of the front fills is to fill out the sound for those few rows before he PA opens up. You should be supplementing the stage volume, which most of the time means just vocals

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »

IMO there is no sense at all in feeding bass/guitars/drums into the front fills, they are always plenty loud on stage. The whole point of the front fills is to fill out the sound for those few rows before he PA opens up. You should be supplementing the stage volume, which most of the time means just vocals

My point exactly.

Mac

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »

My fronts are always on an Aux. a quick look at sends on fader shows contributions.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »

One more here. But I've seen people doing the whole PA on the front fills. Then they need to delay the fills to solve phase issues between the drums on stage and the drums on the fills...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.