ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Change my current system?  (Read 507 times)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
Re: Change my current system?
« Reply #20 on: Today at 04:29:02 am »

Yep Iím definitely not considering changing to the SRX818 subs. For the size of events Iím doing (up to 400 ish) the KW181ís are doing a great job.

I have a feeling Iím not going to find anything as good but lighter at around £3000. I think my budget would need to a least double for a smaller lightweight active system that can at least match the performance of what I already have.
The Yamaha DXRís have really hit the sweet spot for price vs performance and offer a lot of speaker for your money! Also, the QSC KW181ís offer a lot of performance in a fairly small and reasonably lightweight 18Ē speaker! I havenít found anything around £2000 (what I paid) for the pair that outperforms these that donít weigh more. The next 15Ē active speaker that I would consider as a potential upgrade without weighing more is the RCF HDM45 but these cost close to three times the price of what I originally paid for my DXR15ís!! Maybe if an exceptional ex demo deal came up I would consider these but I definitely canít justify the price difference when my current system is earning money and I consistently get compliments on the sound.

If weight reduction is your primary goal, what about moving to 12" mains and 15" subs? I've been using JBL PRX815XLFW's and I'm quite happy with them (56 lbs I think and very manageable). Can't say how they perform compared to your KW181's or the KS212c or KS112. Something like the JTR Captivator 212PRO (67 lbs) would be a step up while still giving some weight savings. And the Yamaha 12" tops are proven performers. I used 15" tops for years and don't miss lugging them around or hoisting them on poles at all. Sound wise I think 12's sound better than 15's as long as you have subs.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Change my current system?
¬ę Reply #20 on: Today at 04:29:02 am ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.