ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shielded Cat6 Connectors for use with video  (Read 3233 times)

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Shielded Cat6 Connectors for use with video
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »

We are getting ready to installing a bunch AMX Enova DGX Digital Media Switchers in the next couple months. They suggest running Shielded Cat6 for all of their video balun systems.

We are currently using Platinum Tools RG45 CAT6 Connectors, any one have any other suggestions for connectors they have had success with? These connectors are currently working alright, but they can be a PITA. Not sure if it is the connectors or just Shielded Cat6 in general. We will be going upwards of 120 terminations per install.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
Re: Shielded Cat6 Connectors for use with video
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »

I've been researching the same thing myself for the Rane Halogen. Looks like more and more gear specifies shielded CAT5e or CAT6. What I did find is that your assumption is correct. CAT6 is a real PITA because of it's diameter, spline and the fact that it must be inserted almost to the pins to certify.

I would like to hear about other peoples experience and what they are using also.

-Hal

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »

We are getting ready to installing a bunch AMX Enova DGX Digital Media Switchers in the next couple months. They suggest running Shielded Cat6 for all of their video balun systems.

We are currently using Platinum Tools RG45 CAT6 Connectors, any one have any other suggestions for connectors they have had success with? These connectors are currently working alright, but they can be a PITA. Not sure if it is the connectors or just Shielded Cat6 in general. We will be going upwards of 120 terminations per install.
The last patch panel I did, I used Siemens Z-Max Keystone Jacks. ~$10 a jack, which isn't the cheapest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M0t6aIl-Y4 I never got down to the 1-minute install they show in the video, but it was fairly quick.

For Cat6STP ends, I haven't had too much trouble using Kramer's. There's an insert you use to sort, then trim, the cables, before slipping them into the shell. Don't know that they'll be any better than yours. As mentioned, getting the jacket into the connector is the real PITA. I'll admit, not all mine make it in, but they've all worked. I've never tried them with a splined Cat6A, though. Crestron's ends are very nice, very durable, and very expensive, and weren't too bad too install. I imagine AMX has something similar, no?
EDIT: I just noticed, the last time I used the Crestron ones, they were the DM-CONN-20's, which were the older model meant for the DM stuff (mostly retired and replaced with DM8G). The new DM-8G-CONN's, I've never tried. I don't know what either of these are rated for. We've largely stopped using STP cable for the Crestron stuff, and just use Cat5e UTP. Still use STP for Kramer, though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:19:26 PM by Jonathan Kok »

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »

Extron sells a connector for their Cat-7 that works about as speedy as you can get. (which isn't very)  At least the STP you are dealing with is one step easier than the individual shielded pair with braid they sell.
And seriously, even a slow Cat6 connection is going to be faster than the 3 mini-57 RGB BNC's you've been doing up to now :-)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.