ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Arrays - "Deployed Wrong"  (Read 24157 times)

Josh Hana

Re: Line Arrays - "Deployed Wrong"
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »

This is just my first impression after doing a lot of research on line arrays....

I think everytime I hear one engineer talk about someone elese line array, it is ALWAYS "deployed wrong".

It seems like everyone thinks they have the secret key to setting up a line array, and no one else could ever get it right.

We are all dealt with a set of constants  -  no other options.  IE.  certain number of boxes, certain flying hardware, lifts, etc.

If you follow your software on angles and use common sense - how can it be "deployed wrong"?

Are they simply saying it's WRONG becuase they don't think there are enough boxes and enough height?

Like many others have stated, I think a lot of shows end up suffering because there is a line array when really a few point source boxes could do a much better job. Whether this is due to power or coverage or whatever varies from show to show.

I've done a few shows now where all the client cares about is that the speakers are a line array. We have a few dozen KF850s from back in the day that we use for our C rig and for sidefills, but in a lot of cases, those would end up being a better fit... but nobody wants to see big trap boxes anymore, it's all about the look of a line array, even if it's not the best choice for the gig.

In addition to that, I think a lot of people who are just getting into their first array do suffer from budget constraints and don't buy enough boxes up front. You can search the boards here or other forums about people ditching their trap rigs and getting "two boxes a side, for now". I very very rarely hang less than 6 boxes, no matter what kind of array it is. 4 boxes might be enough horsepower, but when you start looking at vertical coverage, you'll see holes... which brings me to the next point. A lot of these small/entry level arrays are simply hung incorrectly. More than 2 minutes of thought should be put into determining angles of the array, and how/where it ends up hanging.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »

Oddly enough, I experienced one this weekend. Sound was quite good.  Subs were Mackie actives, one in front of another on each side.

Not to get to OT, but is that sufficient ballast for those towers? Looks like they're pointing down hill and those clouds seem sketchy. I'd feel a lot better with some guy wiring and anchoring.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

James A. Griffin

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

and if you decide on a DB Technologies rig I *strongly* suggest that you use EASE Focus 2 rather than DVA Composer, especially if you do a T8 or T4 under-hang.

+1
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 10:01:16 AM »

Looks like they're pointing down hill and those clouds seem sketchy.

There. Fixed it for you.  ;)
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »

Not to get to OT, but is that sufficient ballast for those towers?

Beats me... not my stuff.

Looks like they're pointing down hill

Audience and FOH is downhill

and those clouds seem sketchy.

It rained after I left when the headliner came on.

I'd feel a lot better with some guy wiring and anchoring.

I felt better just to get back into a cell phone coverage area.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »

Secondly, although the line array is often not the best acoustical solution (particularly in smaller spaces, once you get to arenas, you end up needing a big pile of boxes either way and the arguments start to even out...), it is the perfect jack-of-all-trades solution. And ultimately, that is what the industry demands. As an engineer, its always nice to be on a job where budget and logistics were such that the best acoustical solution could be used, but thats rare.
One reservation I have with line arrays being the "perfect jack-of-all-trades solution" is that with a few exceptions you are very limited regarding the horizontal pattern.  I would guess that for many line array systems there is limited consideration of the horizontal coverage since you have no control over it other than basic aiming of the array and that can be an issue for some applications.

Where I see this is that many churches, theatres, gyms, etc. are purchasing line arrays or column speakers based on an assumed improvement in coverage and intelligibility.  But not only is that not always valid for the vertical plane, there also often seems to be limited consideration of the associated horizontal pattern or even a general perspective that 'wider is always better' regarding the horizontal pattern.

If there were concert quality arrays with variable vertical and horizontal patterns then that may be a 'jack of all trades' but only if carrying a bunch of boxes while using just those appropriate for the application.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:45:07 AM by Mac Kerr »

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »

One reservation I have with line arrays being the "perfect jack-of-all-trades solution" is that with a few exceptions you are very limited regarding the horizontal pattern.  I would guess that for many line array systems there is limited consideration of the horizontal coverage since you have no control over it other than basic aiming of the array and that can be an issue for some applications.

I completely agree.

My comment was mainly directed at the rental sector, and your absolutely right that in the install game, the decision is a different one.

One of the reasons that D&B are my favorite large and mid format line arrays is entirely because they offer 2 horizontal coverage angles. This certainly allows you to be a bit more considered in the horizontal plane.
Riedel Communications

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 01:02:19 PM »

One of the reasons that D&B are my favorite large and mid format line arrays is entirely because they offer 2 horizontal coverage angles. This certainly allows you to be a bit more considered in the horizontal plane.

As do EAW KF 760/761, Kf730/737 and Meyer Milo in 60º, 90º, and 120º, and in the Kudo with 50º and 110º, L-Acoustics.

Mac

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »

As do EAW KF 760/761, Kf730/737 and Meyer Milo in 60º, 90º, and 120º, and in the Kudo with 50º and 110º, L-Acoustics.

Mac

and nexo geo and..

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »

Mac

I said ONE of the reasons. I wasn't for a moment suggesting that d&b are the only people who do this... I'm familiar with all the other products you mention.

My point was merely that such products exist, and help us to tailor both the horizontal and vertical coverage of line array products
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.