ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Arrays - "Deployed Wrong"  (Read 19301 times)

Sean Thomas

Line Arrays - "Deployed Wrong"
« on: August 06, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »

This is just my first impression after doing a lot of research on line arrays....

I think everytime I hear one engineer talk about someone elese line array, it is ALWAYS "deployed wrong".

It seems like everyone thinks they have the secret key to setting up a line array, and no one else could ever get it right.

We are all dealt with a set of constants  -  no other options.  IE.  certain number of boxes, certain flying hardware, lifts, etc.

If you follow your software on angles and use common sense - how can it be "deployed wrong"?

Are they simply saying it's WRONG becuase they don't think there are enough boxes and enough height?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Line Arrays - "Deployed Wrong"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:17:48 pm »

This is just my first impression after doing a lot of research on line arrays....

I think everytime I hear one engineer talk about someone elese line array, it is ALWAYS "deployed wrong".

It seems like everyone thinks they have the secret key to setting up a line array, and no one else could ever get it right.

We are all dealt with a set of constants  -  no other options.  IE.  certain number of boxes, certain flying hardware, lifts, etc.

If you follow your software on angles and use common sense - how can it be "deployed wrong"?

Are they simply saying it's WRONG becuase they don't think there are enough boxes and enough height?

You seldom (if ever) hear a discussion of what's done right.  Think "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".  It's human nature.  Just look at your own post.

Bitch, bitch, bitch...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 03:29:51 pm »

Experience and observation.  There was a thread - might have been at the other place - where a user was doing a side by side ground stack of flat boxes - two columns of 4 boxes flat angle.  The reasoning - changing the angles was too much work.

A lot of folks seem to be suffering from the "I've got a fever, and the only solution is to buy a line array" mentality, where they buy a tool that they think is cool, and use it when it's clearly not the best choice.  The OP on the other thread here wanting to buy two HDL20A boxes per side is likely in that situation.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 03:33:06 pm »

What you are doing in the posts on these boards is not research.

It is simply seeking validation of what you have already decided.

I am at the point in my sound career that I feel comfortable with just about any rig. Yet, you have shunted aside advice from several people that I still hang onto every word they write because their words in the past have helped me get the confidence to deal with many situations. It is pretty clear that you have simply brushed aside their advice because it doesn't natch your preconceived notions.
Jay Barracato

Sean Thomas

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 03:40:05 pm »

Experience and observation.  There was a thread - might have been at the other place - where a user was doing a side by side ground stack of flat boxes - two columns of 4 boxes flat angle.  The reasoning - changing the angles was too much work.

A lot of folks seem to be suffering from the "I've got a fever, and the only solution is to buy a line array" mentality, where they buy a tool that they think is cool, and use it when it's clearly not the best choice.  The OP on the other thread here wanting to buy two HDL20A boxes per side is likely in that situation.

I get it.  It sounds like the print industry and the video industry from decades past.  Once technology becomes inexpensive enough for everyone to buy it...........

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »

I get it.  It sounds like the print industry and the video industry from decades past.  Once technology becomes inexpensive enough for everyone to buy it...........
... that doesen't mean that they understand how to actually use it.
A 4 box of anything is NOT a line array. I don't give a shit what the noiseboy at GuitarWarehouse thinks, or recommends.
There are many places where 850's and the like will easily outperform a too-short array that ends up too close to the ground.
You never seem to see people looking for the 4-a-side-hang asking about towers to get the fuckin things up where they WERE DESIGNED to be hung. It always seems to go "I'll get the bare minimum now, and expand later." Well guess what, the bare minimum is not 3 or 4 boxes. more like 12-15 boxes. Now you're getting serious. Still inexpensive enough for you ??
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 04:12:55 pm »

A 4 box of anything is NOT a line array. I don't give a shit what the noiseboy at GuitarWarehouse thinks, or recommends.
There are many places where 850's and the like will easily outperform a too-short array that ends up too close to the ground.
You never seem to see people looking for the 4-a-side-hang asking about towers to get the fuckin things up where they WERE DESIGNED to be hung. It always seems to go "I'll get the bare minimum now, and expand later." Well guess what, the bare minimum is not 3 or 4 boxes. more like 12-15 boxes. Now you're getting serious. Still inexpensive enough for you ??

I wonder what noise boy thinks about the rearward lobe of a zero degree ground stacked array. Since he is probably the same one selling 100 watt Marshall stacks, he probably thinks that that type of penetration is good.
Jay Barracato

Sean Thomas

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 04:37:34 pm »

Exactly my point about the print industry, recording industry, and video industry.  The old school, with their super high end computers and printers were destroyed by desktop publishing.  The audio recording, video production and post production industries have all dramatically changed becuase the tools got cheaper.  And the entrenched yell that the newbs don't have skills and don't know what they are doing......but they are the ones getting the jobs.

I'm sure some of this might relate to newbs buying line arrays.

In the end, it's not about the tools but the skills of those with the tools.  As must be the case with the 850 rig I've heard.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 05:07:42 pm »

Exactly my point about the print industry, recording industry, and video industry.  The old school, with their super high end computers and printers were destroyed by desktop publishing.  The audio recording, video production and post production industries have all dramatically changed becuase the tools got cheaper.  And the entrenched yell that the newbs don't have skills and don't know what they are doing......but they are the ones getting the jobs.

I'm sure some of this might relate to newbs buying line arrays.

In the end, it's not about the tools but the skills of those with the tools.  As must be the case with the 850 rig I've heard.

And like the "instragram photographers" that are rampant in that industry, most of the audio newbs f*cking suck.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 05:15:37 pm »

And like the "instragram photographers" that are rampant in that industry, most of the audio newbs f*cking suck.

And like that industry, the professionals are forced to further differentiate themselves from the masses by the quality of their work.

(that's coming from a hobbyist/observer who probably has no business on this thread) ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 05:15:37 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.