ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Small line array question....  (Read 22550 times)

Tracy Stewart

Small line array question....
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »

Hello.  I am going to be making the transition from conventional boxes to a small line array.  I run sound for mostly smaller festivals and local bands.  I generally do not have crowds more than a thousand or so.  I currently have 4 QSC KW-153 tops that just dont have the throw to cover what I need.  I think I have decided on the RCF HDL-20A active line array box as a replacement cabinet.  The only thing that I am not sure of is how many boxes to buy.  I am a small sound company and really dont have alot of budget to invest to get started on my line array.  I was thinking about using two per side of the rcf boxes for now and adding a couple more later.  I really like the idea of pole mounting as well because I have to step up my insurance to fly speakers.  Is there any reason why I should not run 2 boxes per side besides more coverage?  Thanks.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Small line array question....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »

Hello.  I am going to be making the transition from conventional boxes to a small line array.  I run sound for mostly smaller festivals and local bands.  I generally do not have crowds more than a thousand or so.  I currently have 4 QSC KW-153 tops that just dont have the throw to cover what I need.  I think I have decided on the RCF HDL-20A active line array box as a replacement cabinet.  The only thing that I am not sure of is how many boxes to buy.  I am a small sound company and really dont have alot of budget to invest to get started on my line array.  I was thinking about using two per side of the rcf boxes for now and adding a couple more later.  I really like the idea of pole mounting as well because I have to step up my insurance to fly speakers.  Is there any reason why I should not run 2 boxes per side besides more coverage?  Thanks.
Two per side aren't going to be more powerful than your current system.  If it's output you need, then you're going to need to fly them.  4/side will be a decent upgrade from what you have, but may have other logistical issues.  Why have you decided you need a line array?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »

Those are good boxes, but won't behave much like a line array until you have 6-ish per side.  Fewer than that and good true point source speakers would work better in my opinion. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Sean Thomas

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »

Hey Tracy - read the post about best small line array.  I am doing the same thing your are doing.  I've done a ton of research and for me the only boxes that fit my needs are dB Technologies T12 or RCF TTL33.  I need to do upto 5,000 people at times.

If you are doing upto 1,000, I think the HDL would work well, but not with 2 per side.  It might be a place to start for some of your small gigs, get the money and buy more quickly.  Good luck.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »

Hey Tracy - read the post about best small line array.  I am doing the same thing your are doing.  I've done a ton of research and for me the only boxes that fit my needs are dB Technologies T12 or RCF TTL33.  I need to do upto 5,000 people at times.

If you are doing upto 1,000, I think the HDL would work well, but not with 2 per side.  It might be a place to start for some of your small gigs, get the money and buy more quickly.  Good luck.

For common audience geometry of 1000 people, I'd probably not use a line array at all.  A pair of KF850 per side, with subs would probably suffice in most setups.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »

For common audience geometry of 1000 people, I'd probably not use a line array at all.  A pair of KF850 per side, with subs would probably suffice in most setups.

I have to agree with Tim. A properly deployed KF850 rig will handle your needs.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »

When I was out west, 2 kf850 over 3 double 18 subs seemed to be the regular street fair/ music on main street rig.
Jay Barracato

John Chiara

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »

When I was out west, 2 kf850 over 3 double 18 subs seemed to be the regular street fair/ music on main street rig.

I use 2 850's over 4 Lab Subs and this setup always sounds better than local line array setups in most outdoor venues especially.
The mid range coherence is so much more even and predictable and vocal presence is beefy and forward....things I like to have available without having to balance 10-12 hi freq drivers.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »

How much difference are you trying to achieve?  You might need enough HDL boxes to really make use of the potential line array aspect in order to get a significant difference in output over the full nadnwidth.

Was requests for line arrays a factor in deciding to go with that approach?

Sean Thomas

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »

How much difference are you trying to achieve?  You might need enough HDL boxes to really make use of the potential line array aspect in order to get a significant difference in output over the full nadnwidth.

Was requests for line arrays a factor in deciding to go with that approach?

A KF850 weights 200 lbs. and an amp rack could weigh as much as 200 lbs. (Crown Macro).  For a small sound co. doing shows of upto 1000, I would never suggest going with 15-20 year old box, that are too big and too heavy.  Do you already have the amps and dsp to run 850's?  IF not, that's another big purchase of too big, too heavy, and too old.

A small powered line array weighs as little as 30 lbs. per box including amp and dsp.  Smaller, lighter, and potentially much better sounding.  Go with a small powered line array, expand over time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.