ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rate the reliability of the X32 console?  What about the X32+S16?

Console: Zero problems.
- 36 (42.4%)
Console: a small issue, no deal breakers; it has been or soon will be resolved.
- 15 (17.6%)
Console: multiple issues or an issue that has caused me not to trust this console.
- 6 (7.1%)
Console+S16: zero problems.
- 17 (20%)
Console+S16: a small issue, no deal breakers; it has been or soon will be resolved.
- 6 (7.1%)
Console+S16: multiple issues or an issue that has caused me not to trust this console/snake arrangement.
- 5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?  (Read 68459 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 11:01:43 PM »

MP...

What qualifications do you have to come on and question respected forum veterans with your first post?

Have you done your research and familiarized yourself with their contributions?

Or are you just here to take a shot?

I don't know Mark or what his qualifications are, other than that he's been a longtime poster in the other forum's mega-thread.

Certainly he hasn't read this forum very thoroughly, otherwise he'd know that Bob doesn't own an X32 but almost never fails to make a negative comment about it in any thread in which the subject comes up.

It isn't clear to me who Mark meant by the other of "either of you gentlemen"; JR seems to feel it was him. It may have been, so Mark obviously hasn't gone through much of this forum to know how respected a poster JR is, and that he is not active as a owner or user now, if he ever was during a long career as a designer. (Is that last part reasonably accurate, JR?)

Despite that lack of ownership/regular usage of the gear, I don't think anyone could find a more astute observer or commenter about the issues that we are interested in, and the effort that he makes to be neutral and factual is continually obvious and appreciated.

FWIW, in one of JR's posts here he mentions that over-enthusiastic owners have made expansive claims, and I have to suppose that's me, although from my perspective I've reported my experience, good and bad, and that "expansive" is not always the same as "unsubstantiated". If it's not me, never mind....

And since the OP is still apparently an open question, I'll say again that it is reliable enough, while noting that, as with every other console we've owned, we always have a backup available that in the case of the X32 we have never had to use.

Yet.

It's still necessary to observe that we are still early in the console's expected lifespan (a little over a year in), and that any technological device will not be 100% reliable for an indefinite time period into the future.

It is apparently also necessary to observe that what one person or group hates another person or group can still love.

Finally, I had a long learning curve figuring out where things are and how to get around, but was not otherwise a digital console user and chalk up my slowness to that. There are still things I don't understand.

Dan

PS Hey, Tim, you name-checked me while I was writing this! I have not pursued that subject you raise since then.

And I share your issue about pre-post. It's easy to do, but not as obvious to me as I'd like it to be. The answer to your second question, I think, is "both" (individual and all or nothing), and that you can tell right away if you are looking in the right place, sort of.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Poll: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »

Hi Dan-

I'm mostly interested in demonstrating for myself and others in my shop that whatever we send out with the S16 will work, and we'll know what we did to the cable in our attempts to make it fail.

Maybe I'm less impressed with the current crop of value mixers because I've spent a fair bit of time using the higher priced margarine rather than corn oil spreads, but most of them strike me as functional and utilitarian (in a good way).  The rest is workflow and user preferences.

And yeah, I posted the reply and went back to read it through... and went "oh... uh... better fix Dan's name..."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »

My comments remain the same Dan. I've never said it was a horrible piece of crap or anything close to that, and I actually did want to like the X32 enough to buy one. My only bitch about the board is what I've said above, in past posts, and below.

"What stopped me from purchasing the X32 was not the name Behringer. What stopped me from purchasing the X32 was the number of reported out of the box issues, the fact Behringer has only one service depot in the US, and the problems encountered with stage boxes and their connectivity."
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2013, 12:28:18 AM »

My comments remain the same Dan. I've never said it was a horrible piece of crap or anything close to that, and I actually did want to like the X32 enough to buy one. My only bitch about the board is what I've said above, in past posts, and below.

"What stopped me from purchasing the X32 was not the name Behringer. What stopped me from purchasing the X32 was the number of reported out of the box issues, the fact Behringer has only one service depot in the US, and the problems encountered with stage boxes and their connectivity."
I own several.  While I've had no issues at all with any of mine, I consider all of Bob's concerns valid.  He is certainly rough on Behringer, but to be honest the single service center for the entire U.S. is (eventually) going to be a problem.  Just because someone doesn't own a product does not invalidate their opinion, especially if that opinion is well-researched and based on some hands-on experience.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2013, 02:57:57 AM »

My primary concern in using the X32 is to torture the living shit out of it until it either fails or I get tired/bored/distracted. 

Hi Tim,

I didn't notice that my name needed fixing, but thanks for doing it, I guess.

Your quote above is intriguing, and is what I've been thinking about since my last post.

You would really be doing a service to the community by following through on the above, and working it really hard to see if it breaks. Either way, whether it did or didn't, would be good knowledge to have.

That is why I welcomed so strongly Joe Sanborn's announcement that that club in Hollywood (Whisky a Go Go? Troubador? I don't remember the name) got two as their main consoles (monitor and mains). They do something like 6 or 8 bands a night, 7 nights a week.

That sort of heavy use is the perfect way for us bystanders to see many years of normal use put on someone else's consoles in a short time and see what happens.

I was hoping for periodic updates, but have not been aware of a peep about how it's going there.

Regarding the S16's and the cable issue, I dropped it at the conclusion of the workshop and have used the built-in inputs and outputs ever since. When Behringer finally gets around to shipping the Cores and Racks to dealers other than A.M.S. or Guitar Center or whatever giant retailer, then I will be forced to revisit the issue again. CATwhatever obviously works well and reliably now for a lot of users between the S16 and the console. But being like Lil' Abner's Joe Bftzktk, things always go wrong for me and I need to have fail-safes in place. I'm looking forward to the Cores and Racks filling important roles for me, and the cabling will have to work reliably 100% of the time.

Coincidentally, I received a couple of emails this morning about the AES50 standard as a result of that workshop. In the meeting recap pictures, the guy who I'm wrestling with using a piece of CAT5e cable between us is the Executive Director of the AES, who lives around here and has been an active part of our Section & came to the workshop.

The AES had a convention over the weekend in NYC which ended today, and he was telling the authors of the AES50 standard about my experiences, and they wanted more info about what happened. I sent them to specific posts in the mega thread, and they said they want to know user experiences so that if the standard needs to be revised, they can do it.

So I guess if anyone has anything they want to pass along, I'd be happy to do so.

I'm still unclear how my experience specifically could result in a change to the standard, but figure that we can tell them what has happened to us (if anything) and they can decide what to do about it.

Crazy, huh?

John Penkala

« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »

I have two X32's and have only had one issue due to very low voltage at an outside venue. At this venue my TC D-Two would reset as well. I have had zero issues since the UPS has been in use.

-JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Joe Brugnoni

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

I have question about this poll, Or I would be interested in knowing how many of these are at fixed installtions and how many are mobile and subject to the abuse of that situation.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »

I have question about this poll, Or I would be interested in knowing how many of these are at fixed installtions and how many are mobile and subject to the abuse of that situation.
All of ours are mobile.  I was an early adopter.  Over a year into it with multiple consoles (x32 and Compact), and zero problems to date.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »

My X32 has done a few shows traveling in the Arkansas Anvil®, i.e. the shipping carton.  Finally got a case for it (thanks, Andy V.M.).  So far no problems but I'm early in the ownership/use cycle.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »

All of ours are mobile.  I was an early adopter.  Over a year into it with multiple consoles (x32 and Compact), and zero problems to date.
Full disclosure I have in the past spoken and posted in a way that revealed I felt the way about Behringer gear that my congressional representative crazy Michelle feels about the current President. I am eating crow over these darned X32s. Our experience at church over the last year mirrors Scott's: multiple consoles, multiple stageboxes, all portable, mainly
(ab)used by teenagers and novice operators, no issues, none, nada, nil. Value propisition is off the charts, lots of sleepless nights for the other guys trying to compete in that segment of the console market, I venture. 98% of the time they sound as good as the old Heritage we still have in our sanctuary to boot.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:48:08 AM by Bob L. Wilson »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 27 queries.