ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rate the reliability of the X32 console?  What about the X32+S16?

Console: Zero problems.
- 36 (42.4%)
Console: a small issue, no deal breakers; it has been or soon will be resolved.
- 15 (17.6%)
Console: multiple issues or an issue that has caused me not to trust this console.
- 6 (7.1%)
Console+S16: zero problems.
- 17 (20%)
Console+S16: a small issue, no deal breakers; it has been or soon will be resolved.
- 6 (7.1%)
Console+S16: multiple issues or an issue that has caused me not to trust this console/snake arrangement.
- 5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?  (Read 68550 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Poll: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »

and you forgot...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2013, 02:17:36 PM »

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »

Man, you guys really know how to ruin a poll!

James A. Griffin

Re: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »

I personally own a X32.  It's quirky and other than mixing, it's fairly non-intuitive to me.  Setup, routing, finding stuff in the menus... all might as well be ancient hieroglyphics of an unknown language.  OTOH, there is nothing wrong with the way it sounds, the EQ is very flexible.  For <US$3000 it's a great value.  Other than the non-intuitive setup (oh, the stagebox has to clock the mixer... Grrrr) mine has functioned without errors, lock ups, drop outs, spurious noises, etc.

Tim,

I recall when all the fuss was being raised a few months ago that you had pretty much ruled out the X32 due to the said fuss.   What changed your mind? 
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »

Tim,

I recall when all the fuss was being raised a few months ago that you had pretty much ruled out the X32 due to the said fuss.   What changed your mind?

I needed a tax deduction.

edit ps.  This needed a little more explanation.  The desk is electronically stable.  Firmware v1.15 fixed the bugs that affect the ways I might use the mixer.  Private conversations with other users and more public conversations with groups carrying X32 for IEM and some FOH applications led be to take a chance.  It's odd that 15 years after selling my last personal mixer that I'd buy another when our firm has multiple digital mixers in a few different flavors....

Much earlier (and on a different forum) I alluded to a market that we were looking at ways to make profitable.  It turns out the X32 is overkill for it, but having the mixer out on a couple of higher profile (higher than a bar gig) shows has gotten me to thinking about other possible uses & markets.

Right now it's all moot, though, because the X32 goes out on selected gigs where a replacement desk is at hand.  Until I'm thoroughly convinced that the firmware is sufficiently robust that I can't break it (and I can break channel mute logic on analog mixers), it's not flying solo.  That said, other than my personal fumbling around to find things in the access menu structure, I don't find any particular flaws in the execution even if I have issues with some the of design choices.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:53:01 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2013, 08:29:08 PM »

Tim, for me it isn't just the features, it's how awkward it is to access those features!  That's why I went with the Expression.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:38:45 PM by Chuck Simon »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »

Tim, for me it isn't just the features, it's how awkward it is to access those features!  That's why I went with the Expression.

Yeah.  It's all about where we individually expect to find certain features, functions and parameters.

One of my employees had the X32 figured out in about 20 minutes.  Not just plugging in a couple of inputs and making sound come out of the outputs, but if I asked where a particular thing was accessed, he'd say "that should be in the XYZ menu" and press a couple of buttons.  He grokked the Behringer organizational flow right away, but I'm not yet on the same page (literally).  I didn't find the Soundcraft Expression particularly intuitive, either.

I used it to mix 15 inputs for a high school production of Godspell last week.  I was staring at it, poking buttons and turning encoders for a good 45 minutes at setup.  Once I got things configured (post fader vocal monitor for conductor, pre fader installment monitors for band, etc) mixing was pretty straight forward.  The speaker system was Vue Audioteknik's A15 on stands and monitors were Vue A12 powered by Crown XTi6002s.

Back to reliability:  no problems with the X32 and the 01v96 stayed in the case.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bill McKelvey

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »

I have an X32 and am curious about what feature is awkward to access. Most features are a two button press away, "Select" then "View".

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »

I have an X32 and am curious about what feature is awkward to access. Most features are a two button press away, "Select" then "View".

It's knowing what to select, where to find it, and when to view...

I'm very familiar with the physical steps to bring up things on a digital console, but every manufacture puts those things in different places or gives them different names, or both.

{rhetorical question alert, there is no test} Where do you change a mix send from pre to post?  Can you do for individual inputs or is each mix "all or nothing" and can you tell that right away?"  I can take you there on almost any Yamaha mixer, AVID/Digidesign, and DiGiCo.  X32?  It took a few minutes of pushing the right buttons in the right order and twisting the right knobs.  I'm sure I'll be faster next time.. or at least I hope so.

Mixing the show, I mostly used the View buttons near the controls.

Every console will necessitate a change in workflow and the X32 is no different in that regard.  My primary concern in using the X32 is to torture the living shit out of it until it either fails or I get tired/bored/distracted.  Most of the actual, Behringer-responsible failure modes have been addressed by the manufacturer.  The current questions are will it survive transportation and unfriendly handling/operation?

At some point I'll introduce the S16 and a variety of CAT5 cabling and see what works and what gets flaky.  Dan Mortensen and the Pacific Northwest AES chapter did a cable & connector evaluation http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2013/jun_cat5/ and while we're not equipped to repeat their tests, I'm willing to try a few commercial and shop-built cables and see what happens.  If all this proves out, we'll probably make greater use of X32 or I'll sell it off knowing it works right.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »

Ha! I'm stealing the phrase "the scooter crowd".  Depending on your use of the phrase, it could apply to one of three demographics though. (see pics)

Sorry for the topic swerve.

More along the lines of "Sportster" or even "Electraglide".  Think V-Twin.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 27 queries.