ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rate the reliability of the X32 console?  What about the X32+S16?

Console: Zero problems.
- 36 (42.4%)
Console: a small issue, no deal breakers; it has been or soon will be resolved.
- 15 (17.6%)
Console: multiple issues or an issue that has caused me not to trust this console.
- 6 (7.1%)
Console+S16: zero problems.
- 17 (20%)
Console+S16: a small issue, no deal breakers; it has been or soon will be resolved.
- 6 (7.1%)
Console+S16: multiple issues or an issue that has caused me not to trust this console/snake arrangement.
- 5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?  (Read 68479 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Poll: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »

There's always a full moon orbiting around some planet...

Didn't make it down to your "Poof" post before I posted my reply...

It is important that no one catches on to the secret agenda to keep small providers from purchasing inexpensive digital boards and small line arrays.>:D
Jay Barracato

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

I don't know if it is an issue or not, so it is hard to say if anything needs to get resolved. Many of us have never experienced any problems, so there is little to suggest that there is a fundamental flaw.

Is there an issue with component variation or a bad batch of interface chips? Is there some user-related issues that are less than obvious? I don't know.
I only know what I've seen reported and the public responses to those reports. I do not know definitively what the problem is/was, but I do not dismiss it as user error. 

An important distinction for professional users is not that it works for most users in most cases, but that it works every time all the time (within reason). Based on what I've read so far and the mostly silence regarding causation and solutions (some advice about which cable to use) I would be apprehensive about trusting that particular combination in a high profile application.

For less critical users try it. If it works it's all good and inexpensive. I don't believe Behriger has actually promoted the X32 as a professional solution (they market their Midas brand to that customer), but many over-enthusiastic users do make expansive claims.

It is what it is, a remarkable value product. I suspect Uli will make far more money selling X32s than Midas desks. That's the reality here.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

There are currently more posts than poll responses.  I was hoping for more numbers and less noise. 

Yes, the poll is flawed and it isn't going to get to a statistically significant sample size based on total units shipped, however, it may represent a significant percentage of PSW users who own X32's.  Take it for what it's worth to you, understanding the limitations.

Mark Petersen

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2013, 12:47:47 AM »

Exactly!

I read or hear about X32 issues every day. It crackles when I do this, channels won't respond, stage box sucks, yada, yada, yada. It doesn't matter if many people feel they won't be effected a second time, or that maybe "It was just this combination.". Owning anything that may or may not work under a specific set of circumstances makes no sense at all. And what was the outcome of the stage box issues? Swept under the rug I'll bet. Too many people are blinded by the lights, get all reved up, then find out it's a douche.

I'm curious gentlemen; Have either of you actually ever owned, or do you currently, any of the equipment upon which you're passing judgement?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Poll: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »

Mark,

I'm very careful about which hardware I'll spend my money on, as can be attested to by the members of this site. For smaller jobs I currently own a number of boards, recently purchasing a Soundcraft Expression for stage use after two years of comparing digital boards that fell within the price range of $3-10K, including the X32. The Expression replaces an APB ProHouse for the majority of my needs.

Both boards offer great features for their type, and both boards come from respected well known manufacturers who back their products through a network of repair centers throughout the USA.

I also own a number of other boards which are used for their specific capabilities when needed. None of them are from Behringer.

I would have no reason to purchase a board simply because it has become the "flavor of the month". I did in fact consider the X32, and was willing to accept the format and size, even though it did not fit my required specifications, based on the boards feature set.

What stopped me from purchasing the X32 was not the name Behringer. What stopped me from purchasing the X32 was the number of reported out of the box issues, the fact Behringer has only one service depot in the US, and the problems encountered with stage boxes and their connectivity.

Each of us is entitled to form our own opinions and spend our money as we see fit, purchasing the hardware we as an individual feel will do the job properly and without failure. My research has led me to form an opinion pertaining to the X32 that is not entirely in favor of the product, an opinion formed with hands on experience albeit limited hands on.

My question to you is, are you under the impression my opinion, and 45 years working with sound and music, are now invalidated because I didn't buy an X32 to confirm the statements made by users and  owners of the product?

Or do you feel I would have been better off purchasing an X32, regardless of problems should they exist after the purchase.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »

I'm curious gentlemen; Have either of you actually ever owned, or do you currently, any of the equipment upon which you're passing judgement?

MP...

What qualifications do you have to come on and question respected forum veterans with your first post?

Have you done your research and familiarized yourself with their contributions?

Or are you just here to take a shot?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »

No I do not own any Behringer gear.

The x32 is a remarkable "value" achievement, but I stand by my judgement that it is what it is.

For any more curious lurkers, I don't own most of the products I answer questions about. Often it's the people who own them that are asking the questions.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »

How about you?  Do you own all the gear you have a negative opinion of?

It depends on who you talk to and what his/her expectations are.

My boss is FOH engineer for an international act "popular with the scooter crowd." ;)  He mixes on a different PA system and console every show.  He hated the Soundcraft Expre*****.  He likes the PM5D.  He's not keen on DiGiCo as a walk up and mix desk.  And he doesn't own any of them.

He's also formed opinions based on the reported experiences of his peers, as did Bob Leonard.

I personally own a X32.  It's quirky and other than mixing, it's fairly non-intuitive to me.  Setup, routing, finding stuff in the menus... all might as well be ancient hieroglyphics of an unknown language.  OTOH, there is nothing wrong with the way it sounds, the EQ is very flexible.  For <US$3000 it's a great value.  Other than the non-intuitive setup (oh, the stagebox has to clock the mixer... Grrrr) mine has functioned without errors, lock ups, drop outs, spurious noises, etc.

When Bob was ready to buy a new console, the X32 was still in the early stages of firmware (hey, the Soundcraft Express*** locked up in mid gig, too) and first couple of factory runs.  Behringer figured out what they needed to fix, and they did.  Bob is more comfortable with Soundcraft's track record and was more willing to take a gamble on them getting their mixer "right" before Uli.  As it works out, both manufacturers got their respective acts together about the same time

But the X32 isn't for everyone, nor should that be expected, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.  Bob actually demo'd the X32 before conclusively deciding it wasn't what he was looking for.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »

My boss is FOH engineer for an international act "popular with the scooter crowd." ;)

Ha! I'm stealing the phrase "the scooter crowd".  Depending on your use of the phrase, it could apply to one of three demographics though. (see pics)

Sorry for the topic swerve.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »

Ha! I'm stealing the phrase "the scooter crowd".  Depending on your use of the phrase, it could apply to one of three demographics though. (see pics)

Sorry for the topic swerve.

Your scooters are out of sequence.  2 should be 1 and 1 should be two and would the baby buggy jogger be another scooter??  comes before 1.   Then the last, should be the hearse taking the person or item to the grave for a total of 5.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 28 queries.