ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rate the reliability of the X32 console?  What about the X32+S16?

Console: Zero problems.
- 36 (42.4%)
Console: a small issue, no deal breakers; it has been or soon will be resolved.
- 15 (17.6%)
Console: multiple issues or an issue that has caused me not to trust this console.
- 6 (7.1%)
Console+S16: zero problems.
- 17 (20%)
Console+S16: a small issue, no deal breakers; it has been or soon will be resolved.
- 6 (7.1%)
Console+S16: multiple issues or an issue that has caused me not to trust this console/snake arrangement.
- 5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?  (Read 68095 times)

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Poll: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »

1 year ago, the thought of purchasing any piece of equipment with the word "Behringer" on it for more than 4 figures would have had me laughing .... or staring at the person suggesting it with the "are you serious?" look on my face.

This is my experience as well. I love my X-32 but still quickly check over my shoulder before I sing it's praises too loudly.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
Re: For Behringer X32 users: How reliable is your console?
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »

Exactly!

I read or hear about X32 issues every day. It crackles when I do this, channels won't respond, stage box sucks, yada, yada, yada. It doesn't matter if many people feel they won't be effected a second time, or that maybe "It was just this combination.". Owning anything that may or may not work under a specific set of circumstances makes no sense at all. And what was the outcome of the stage box issues? Swept under the rug I'll bet. Too many people are blinded by the lights, get all reved up, then find out it's a douche.
As a long time owner of the X32, and being quite active on the forums, my impression is that a lot of the "unreliability" is caused by operator error. Certainly in the very limited experience I've had with coming face to face with other owners and actually seeing their issue, what was interpreted as "broken" or "faulty" by the operator was immediately obvious to me and quickly remedied by me. As we sit in front of our computers and try (or not) to solve other people's problems over the internet, we only know what they tell us, and amazingly obvious mistakes might remain undiagnosed. Even the simplest piece of equipment will suffer from user error, and the advanced stuff, if available to the masses, will suffer a lot. "I can't hit the ball with my bat, ergo it must be the bat!"
On the forums, we have even been discussing "issues" with people that don't actually own or use an X32!!!!!

Certainly, there has been issues, like bad internal cable routing and loose connectors, as other can testify, but as others can equally testify, loose connectors go with the territory of any mixer being transported.

Am I a Behringer fanboy? No, I don't think so, but I'm not out to score brownie points for slagging Behringer off either, even if that might get me some "respect" in some circles.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

As a long time owner of the X32, and being quite active on the forums, my impression is that a lot of the "unreliability" is caused by operator error. Certainly in the very limited experience I've had with coming face to face with other owners and actually seeing their issue, what was interpreted as "broken" or "faulty" by the operator was immediately obvious to me and quickly remedied by me. As we sit in front of our computers and try (or not) to solve other people's problems over the internet, we only know what they tell us, and amazingly obvious mistakes might remain undiagnosed. Even the simplest piece of equipment will suffer from user error, and the advanced stuff, if available to the masses, will suffer a lot. "I can't hit the ball with my bat, ergo it must be the bat!"
This.  The reality is that this product is finding itself in the hands of people who's experience level is not what I would describe as robust, but that's the nature of entry level products.  It's much more difficult to differentiate between user error and real faults at this end of the scale (especially on the interwebs).  Take everything with a grain of salt.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »

As a long time owner of the X32,
It's hard to be a long time owner of a relatively new product... Perhaps you mean you're an early adopter.
and being quite active on the forums,
me too
my impression is that a lot of the "unreliability" is caused by operator error.
That goes with the territory of entry level gear and entry level users. This is not a new concept so designers of such gear for such markets try to make allowances for inexperienced users.
Certainly in the very limited experience I've had with coming face to face with other owners and actually seeing their issue, what was interpreted as "broken" or "faulty" by the operator was immediately obvious to me and quickly remedied by me.
Anecdotal...  even this poll is anecdotal and too small a sample to represent the full market.
As we sit in front of our computers and try (or not) to solve other people's problems over the internet, we only know what they tell us, and amazingly obvious mistakes might remain undiagnosed. Even the simplest piece of equipment will suffer from user error, and the advanced stuff, if available to the masses, will suffer a lot. "I can't hit the ball with my bat, ergo it must be the bat!"
In the world of the customer is always right, that's kind of true. It depends on how they merchandised the bat. "Just buy this bat and you'll hit a home run." vs. "A-rod could hit a home run with this bat". 
On the forums, we have even been discussing "issues" with people that don't actually own or use an X32!!!!!
Like me...  :-[
Certainly, there has been issues, like bad internal cable routing and loose connectors, as other can testify, but as others can equally testify, loose connectors go with the territory of any mixer being transported.
One issue that seems unresolved (AFAIK from the forums) is sync problems between X32 and S16. Alternately blamed on the cable used, this part of the design seems to have little safety margin for cable(?) related and/or unit to unit(?) timing variance. This works well enough for the majority of users but I don't suspect that all the complaints about this are simple operator error. There was even a fairly rigorous review of cable behaviors made by an AES chapter (don't bend your cables boys).   
Am I a Behringer fanboy? No, I don't think so, but I'm not out to score brownie points for slagging Behringer off either, even if that might get me some "respect" in some circles.
Are you suggesting that all negative posts are some artifact of group think that behringer is uncool so people gain social capital by piling on?  That's pretty thin. That said professionals will always distrust unusually inexpensive gear, and some have previous experience with behringer gear that was less than positive.   

The whole concept of a poll is to gather objective evidence to put numbers to the rumors. While I don't have high expectations that the sample is large enough to be meaningful. Also it is a bit early in the product cycle to judge reliability, that should take years.

By any measure the x32 is a roaring success, hopefully it will only get better. This is good for the marketplace while disruptive to the status quo.

JR (I know I'm not a fan boy)
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »

JR, your "in the trenches" experience and know how is well regarded by the community, I enjoy reading your comments on the X32 (and other products) and find they often hit the nail on the head.

Your ability to make those comments without a hint of prejudice, even if it may be deserved, is noted and respected by me as well.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »

Now you're being an asshole.  You come here and make wild claims about gear that I now believe you've never owned, used, or touched (except to schlep as a local, non union hand).

Today you claim that Mac, myself and others hide behind our union affiliation.  Bullshit.  You know even less about trade unionism and the IATSE than you do about consoles.  If you're an IA member you need to rethink the concept of "shield"...

You don't need to step back.  That decision will be made for you and I expect your ban to come in short order.

"Poof" = ban.

Full moon?  I don't know....
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »

It's hard to be a long time owner of a relatively new product... Perhaps you mean you're an early adopter.
Relative terms of course, but nearly a year is a long time relative to the availability of the product.

That goes with the territory of entry level gear and entry level users. This is not a new concept so designers of such gear for such markets try to make allowances for inexperienced users.
Of course, but that is also slightly missing the point, because the X32 is so much more than an entry level piece of kit. Just because the price will attract complete beginners, designing the product "down" to be suited for those users would render it less than useful for those of us that want an advanced product at a price we can afford or justify.

Anecdotal...  even this poll is anecdotal and too small a sample to represent the full market.
Any single person's experience can always be dismissed as anecdotal, but then again, I'm passing it off as "limited experience" and not "statistical evidence".
As far as the poll is concerned, unless we do a random selection from all owners, including those who have never uttered anything on a forum, any poll will only show a somewhat representative result from the specific subgroup that is the frequenters of this forum.

In the world of the customer is always right, that's kind of true. It depends on how they merchandised the bat. "Just buy this bat and you'll hit a home run." vs. "A-rod could hit a home run with this bat".
I guess the advertising hype for the X32 say "very user friendly"
 and not "anyone can use it without training or paying attention".

One issue that seems unresolved (AFAIK from the forums) is sync problems between X32 and S16. Alternately blamed on the cable used, this part of the design seems to have little safety margin for cable(?) related and/or unit to unit(?) timing variance. This works well enough for the majority of users but I don't suspect that all the complaints about this are simple operator error. There was even a fairly rigorous review of cable behaviors made by an AES chapter (don't bend your cables boys).
I don't know if it is an issue or not, so it is hard to say if anything needs to get resolved. Many of us have never experienced any problems, so there is little to suggest that there is a fundamental flaw.
Is there an issue with component variation or a bad batch of interface chips? Is there some user-related issues that are less than obvious? I don't know.

Are you suggesting that all negative posts are some artifact of group think that behringer is uncool so people gain social capital by piling on?  That's pretty thin. That said professionals will always distrust unusually inexpensive gear, and some have previous experience with behringer gear that was less than positive.
I'm not suggesting that, but I'm certainly of the opinion that some people (not you) are eager to attribute a lot of credibility to the number of problem reports by users that fall into the RTFM category. If one is willing to weed out most of the rubbish, maybe the real numbers are not any worse than the trusted makes?

Randall Hyde

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »

Well, I don't own an X32 and I really don't have any plans of purchasing one -- I've bought my fill of Behringer gear over the years and after *finally* having problems with their little DI boxes, I've finally gotten to the point that I've regretted each and every single purchase.

Yes, it looks like they are trying to rehabilitate their image with the X32 ("Powered by Midas!"). Maybe the X32 will prove to be good, maybe not. However, it's really too early to be worried about how reliable the console is. If there are a large number of problems already, it's a complete failure. If figure, we wait two years and see how the X32 is holding up for weekend warriors and local/regional bands (probably the primary intended audience). If the device "takes a beating and keeps on ticking" I may revise my opinion of Behringer. Until then, I'll stick with A&H or Soundcraft in that price range.

Having had Behringer mixers (PMP-3000 in my case) go in for service and take *forever* to get fixed, I'm a little jaded.

I wish X32 owners the best of luck. Thank you early adopters for being on the bleeding edge and working on the answer to the question I always ask when Behringer comes out with something new ("will it last?").  This poll, however, is premature.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

John Chiara

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »

Well, I don't own an X32 and I really don't have any plans of purchasing one -- I've bought my fill of Behringer gear over the years and after *finally* having problems with their little DI boxes, I've finally gotten to the point that I've regretted each and every single purchase.

Yes, it looks like they are trying to rehabilitate their image with the X32 ("Powered by Midas!"). Maybe the X32 will prove to be good, maybe not. However, it's really too early to be worried about how reliable the console is. If there are a large number of problems already, it's a complete failure. If figure, we wait two years and see how the X32 is holding up for weekend warriors and local/regional bands (probably the primary intended audience). If the device "takes a beating and keeps on ticking" I may revise my opinion of Behringer. Until then, I'll stick with A&H or Soundcraft in that price range.

Having had Behringer mixers (PMP-3000 in my case) go in for service and take *forever* to get fixed, I'm a little jaded.

I wish X32 owners the best of luck. Thank you early adopters for being on the bleeding edge and working on the answer to the question I always ask when Behringer comes out with something new ("will it last?").  This poll, however, is premature.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Randy, your experiences are exactly what Per is referencing. I am wondering if over the years certain batches of gear was just flawed, as I have owned DEQ- DCX 2496's... At least 10 of them and never had one problem. I have various comps, exciters, gates and now even an older 12 ch mixer that saves the day whenever i need it...again...never one problem. Wonder what other variables might've involved?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2013, 03:52:37 PM »

"Poof" = ban.

Full moon?  I don't know....

There's always a full moon orbiting around some planet...

Didn't make it down to your "Poof" post before I posted my reply...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2013, 03:52:37 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.