ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet  (Read 9741 times)

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Chauvet
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »

What kind of luck are you guys having with Chauvet gear?

Specifically Q Spot 360 LED's?

Any issues?

Thanks

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
Re: Chauvet
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »

I have a few Q Wash 560z that have not had any issues.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Josh Daws

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »

i have had extreme unreliablness with the Q-SPOT 560z. can't trust them. however where i have installed, not a problem, but the ones i have used on the road, terrible issues...we are retiring the units we had after 18 months...

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »

i have had extreme unreliablness with the Q-SPOT 560z. can't trust them. however where i have installed, not a problem, but the ones i have used on the road, terrible issues...we are retiring the units we had after 18 months...

Curious what kind of issues you have had? I think my Q-Wash is the basic same light.
Steven Alves

Josh Daws

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:08:13 AM »

Curious what kind of issues you have had? I think my Q-Wash is the basic same light.

a qwash is just a wash fixture...the spot is a profile fixture (gobos, color wheels etc). i had issues with the gobo and color wheels locking up and not responding to data. whereas all other controls would.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »

Here is my update on the Chauvet QSpot 360.

We ordered 4.

Chauvet waited until the last minute to ship so the order needed to go out UPS Blue to get to us in time.

They overcharged me $700 on my credit card on June 19th (Not resolved yet, August 13).

Three out of four did not work out of the box.

Call tech support. Wait until several hours later for a call back. Discussed issue and a repair fix. I did the adjustments. Now three out of four work.

I wait until I'm back in the shop to dive into the forth one. With several calls into tech support they decide to give me a RMA to return forth light and they will shoot out a replacement fixture.

They ship the replacement FedEx overnight. And charge my CC for the unit and the un-asked for shipping. That about doubled the cost of the fixture.

At the same time I shipped the other unit back to them regular UPS.

The new unit did not work. Did the adjustments to the light and finally got it to work.

Now we have four working fixtures....YEA

Today I get an email. They claim the light I sent back to them works fine and they are returning it to me...

Needless to say the rep is also in the loop...

Everything else I've purchased from Chauvet has worked great...

Hmmmm....

Thanks

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN
[/quote]

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

Guess my advantage is they are local to me. At least if I need something I can drive over.
Steven Alves

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »

Chauvet finally credited me the overcharge to my credit card. Took awhile.

And I now have four working Q Spots. Great lights. Great feature set. We'll see how long they keep on ticking.

All the other Chauvet gear I have has never had any problems.

Anybody else have any issues?

Bob Cap

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »

My luck has always been 50/50 with them.  Some of their products work just fine, others simply don't.  From my experience once you get their units to work you'll be okay (my only exception being the Intimidator 1.2 scanner, which will work for about 20min and then quit indefinitely).  Glad to hear you got your problem resolved though!

-Jeff

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »

I have a reasonable amount of experience with Chauvet products. Anything off the professional website tends to old up better than the Dj website in my opinion. The upper end stuff like the colorado Ip pars work great for us. About to get a dozen each of the 560z washes and a dozen of the 560 spots. I got demos of both and build quality seems solid. Well designed and laid out internals.

Brian Levy

• Levy Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »

i've generally avoided chauvet's cheaper led's because of things i've heard about the quality, but i have used a few chauvet moving lights and have had pretty good experiences.

i had some intimidator 2.0 scanners that performed flawlessly for about 6 years, doing about 6 shows a month on average.  and they didn't die, i just stopped using them.  same thing with a few other chauvet lights from that time period.

but more recently, i acquired 6 q-spot 560's and i totally love them.  i've used them for maybe 100 hours so far.  one had a defective xlr jack, which is no big deal, and i just noticed an issue with the iris getting stuck on another one, but i haven't investigated it yet.  a reset has fixed it both times it happened.  hopefully it's a quick fix, but if it's not, i'm sure chauvet will take care of it, so i'm not too worried.

i searched far and wide for a video of these being used on a real show, but all i found was a wedding video with no haze.  so without ever seeing them in person, i decided to take the risk and try them out as a replacement for always having to rent mac 700s.

i'm very happy with the decision so far.  they're nearly as bright as the mac 700s, and just over half the weight.
if anyone wants to see the 560's in action, here's a video from this summer.  i had 4 q-spots hanging from truss uprights/t-bars on the upstage deck, and 4 mac 700s hanging from the upstage roof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNdQUa7jJwM

Josh Daws

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 08:11:48 AM »

you should take a looking at the Martin RUSH series. i have finally seen pricing, and its pretty similar to the Q560z Profile, for their spot equivalent.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 09:17:55 AM »

you should take a looking at the Martin RUSH series. i have finally seen pricing, and its pretty similar to the Q560z Profile, for their spot equivalent.

Which makes me wonder how the rush profile compares to the 350 entour, which I have encountered reliability issues with their gobo indexing.

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 07:23:41 PM »

Hi, I don't understand anything about lighting, but I'm getting started. I need a easy to use system so I can change lights while playing (I'm a drummer). I thought about the Chauvet 4bar along with the Enttec DMIXS so I could program the lights and change during the show with a footswitch. The problem is, does the Chauvet 4bar act as one big DMX device or each light can be programmed freely?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Josh Daws

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »

Which makes me wonder how the rush profile compares to the 350 entour, which I have encountered reliability issues with their gobo indexing.

in terms of intensity no different...i haven't had personally any reliability issues with the mac 350's....haven't read anything about it either to be honest....however this is the chinese manufactured martin products. i have head really good things...i just cant wait to get my hands on the product.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »

in terms of intensity no different...i haven't had personally any reliability issues with the mac 350's....haven't read anything about it either to be honest....however this is the chinese manufactured martin products. i have head really good things...i just cant wait to get my hands on the product.

Like I said the only 350 issue I had was on one show where we couldn't get the gobo rotation to index consistently. There were square gobos the designer was trying to get to line up and while they were always within about 5 degrees they were never the same night to night.

I also would like to get my hands on the product just for fun. I just bought a dozen Chauvet qspot 560s so no purchase for now, but I would like to compare build quality. Pricing is right in line with the Chauvet products.  I do wonder if they are shooting themselves in the foot. On one hand surely they will market these as Martin quality with affordable prices, but then someone will ask why they should by the 350, and they will say it's better quality, to which an educated consumer would say wait, I thought the rush series was 'Martin' quality?  Regardless, even if reliability is not as good at half the price of a 350, you can afford spares.

Josh Daws

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »

On one hand surely they will market these as Martin quality with affordable prices, but then someone will ask why they should by the 350, and they will say it's better quality, to which an educated consumer would say wait, I thought the rush series was 'Martin' quality?  Regardless, even if reliability is not as good at half the price of a 350, you can afford spares.

yeah exactly...out of all the 12 of the 560s i purchased, have had a 80% failure rate with them and counting. they have an issue with the sensors that make the fixture lock up on the Gobo/Color wheels...every other control works...i would be happy to see them go to be honest!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.