ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Measurement Program  (Read 7792 times)

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
Re: Basic Measurement Program
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »

My OCD has gotten the better of me despite a heroic effort to avoid posting this response. So please forgive the correction. It's just my inner geek showing, not trying to be snarky. ;D

A FFT converts a time domain signal (amplitude/time) to the frequency domain (magnitude/frequency).

A RTA uses a single time domain signal as an input, runs it through a FFT and plots the result.

A Transfer Function, used to measure a frequency response, uses two time domain signals, FFT's both, performs some further math and plots the result.

While the later is far more complicated than the former, they both use FFT's.

Knowledge is power.  8)
:D

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »

Is LAMA something you use personally?  I tried it out after seeing your post and deleted it in less time than it took to DL.  Crashed repeatedly pretty much after every attempt to interact with it.  Graphics choices made it pretty hard to assimilate data without a lot of concentration and the 'SPL' meter without calibration to a known external source that keeps its signal path gain fixed over time and many reconnects to the computer seems a stretch for non pro users.  My preconcevied notions come from years of using SpectrFoo and Smaart and suffer accordingly but this app seems to be iOS happy.  Just curious as how much luck you've had with it versus just knowing its on the shelf as it were.

For mac, have a look at LAMA (Little Audio Measurement App). It does do FFT measurements in addition to RTA style measurements.

Also, usefully for a church, it has a proper SPL meter and includes a built in HTTP server for monitoring sites remotely.

Its much cheaper than Smaart and very easy to use

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 23 queries.