ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compatible screen parts (different sizes, different brands)  (Read 4543 times)

Tim Charpentier

I'd like to start using projector screens at some of my events (weddings, DJ's, and small bands).

I've set up Fast Fold screens in the past, and rear projection (with drape) seems to be the best way.

I keep coming across used Da-Lite Fast Fold, Draper Cinefold, and Vutec Porta Fold equipment at prices I can afford - but I never seem to find a complete kit.

1) If I had a 12x12 screen kit without a rear surface, could I buy (and attatch) a 9x12 screen to it?

2) Could I attach valance/drape arms from a different sized kit?

3) Is there any compatibility between Da-Lite, Draper, Vutec, etc. parts?

Thanks for your patience. I'm not very well informed on this topic, and my searches haven't been fruitful thus far.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:35:51 PM by Tim Charpentier »

Tim Charpentier

Re: Compatible screen parts (different sizes, different brands)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:13 AM »

Once again, does anybody have any experience (or any "hearsay" knowledge) regarding screen kits of different brands or sizes matching together? I don't need any absolute answers, just some general info. There is a guy in my area selling a Fast Fold Screen with a Cinefold drape kit, so I figure that it's been done before.

I don't have enough demand to warrant spending $1k on a screen+frame and another $1k on a drape kit, so any comments/advice would be a big help. Also, is 9x12 the best size to purchase (for the sake of cross renting & corporate gigs)?

I would be inclined to get a smaller size for ease of assembly, but I'm scared to invest in something that is a poor choice because it's too small.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »

Once again, does anybody have any experience (or any "hearsay" knowledge) regarding screen kits of different brands or sizes matching together? I don't need any absolute answers, just some general info. There is a guy in my area selling a Fast Fold Screen with a Cinefold drape kit, so I figure that it's been done before.
I don't think that mismatching screen and frame sizes, would work together very well if at all.  Not only would part of the screen potentially be untensioned or unsupported but who knows how the snaps, grommets, etc. might line up.  As far as mixing brands, I think the same issue could apply to screens and frames but as far a drape kits, have you asked any of the manufacturers?

Also, is 9x12 the best size to purchase (for the sake of cross renting & corporate gigs)?

I would be inclined to get a smaller size for ease of assembly, but I'm scared to invest in something that is a poor choice because it's too small.
Probably lots of people looking to get rid of square and 4:3 format screens as an increasing number of laptops, tablets and other potential video sources, and thus also the associated projectors, are widescreen format.  The potential issue with widescreen images is that if you try letterboxing them on a square or 4:3 format screen then since the resulting image height is shorter it will serve a smaller viewing area.  So for widescreen images you really need to go with a larger screen, same height but wider, in order to be able to serve the same viewing area.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »

...Also, is 9x12 the best size to purchase (for the sake of cross renting & corporate gigs)?

Tim,

You can back-factor the necessary screen size by knowing how far away you want the image to be viewable, combined with a multiplying factor that's based on visual acuity...I'd go with 6 for general viewing of text and video (outdoors, this number may need to decrease due to higher ambient light issues).

So, a 9ft. hight surface would be adequately "viewable" to most people from a maximum distance of 54ft.

If there is a lot of text involved (critical viewing, etc.) the a multiplying factor of 4 might be needed.

I'm sure Brad can chime in more, but that's my understanding of it.

As far as cross-renting goes, a 9x12 or a 7.5x10 would be good, unless you know there are smaller venues that regularly use 6x8 screens, or similar.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Charpentier

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:32:27 PM »

I don't think that mismatching screen and frame sizes, would work together very well if at all.  Not only would part of the screen potentially be untensioned or unsupported but who knows how the snaps, grommets, etc. might line up.  As far as mixing brands, I think the same issue could apply to screens and frames but as far a drape kits, have you asked any of the manufacturers?
Probably lots of people looking to get rid of square and 4:3 format screens as an increasing number of laptops, tablets and other potential video sources, and thus also the associated projectors, are widescreen format.  The potential issue with widescreen images is that if you try letterboxing them on a square or 4:3 format screen then since the resulting image height is shorter it will serve a smaller viewing area.  So for widescreen images you really need to go with a larger screen, same height but wider, in order to be able to serve the same viewing area.

The stability/safety of equipment at an event is a top priority, so I don't want to rig stuff together if there isn't any standardization between brands. On the other hand, bolt patterns for audio drivers, pole mount sizes for speakers, etc. are somewhat standardized on the audio side of things.

I don't expect that manufacturers would volunteer how easy it can be to use other brands. But regular users may have tried to match stuff up out of necessity (e.g., someone spills something on your screen/drape before an event).

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:52:52 PM »

Heck, drape kits don't even match within the same manufacturer.  I've two 9x12 Drapers c/w full dress kits; the screen frames were shot and replaced, and the surfaces still matched...but not the dress kits.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 07:06:18 PM »

Heck, drape kits don't even match within the same manufacturer.  I've two 9x12 Drapers c/w full dress kits; the screen frames were shot and replaced, and the surfaces still matched...but not the dress kits.
I always try to get the dye lot number from the company so I can go back and see if there's any fabric left to pull from should it be needed.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tony Mitchell

• Event PA Hire
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »

Heck, drape kits don't even match within the same manufacturer.

+1

We have a number of Celexon screen kits and have found this very problem, also brand new surfaces that are so over tensioned, they need two people to attach the surface!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.