ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Move the rack *where*? Umm....  (Read 10027 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Move the rack *where*? Umm....
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:08:50 PM »

A church is repurposing a back room. They want me to relocate this rack to the floor right underneath the breaker box to the right. I warned them that the concentration of electrical circuits may cause interference with the audio electronics, especially the wireless mic receivers. They say go ahead and move it, then we'll see if there is a problem.
What do you think? Will they really see problems?
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Ray Cerwinski

Re: Move the rack *where*? Umm....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:02:31 PM »

The most obvious problem is you will be violating the NEC by not keeping a minimum of 36" of clearance in front of that panel if you relocate the rack directly in front of it.

You also need to maintain a width of at least 30" left to right, or the width of the actual equipment (whichever is larger)
Ray Cerwinski

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:05:13 AM »

The most obvious problem is you will be violating the NEC by not keeping a minimum of 36" of clearance in front of that panel if you relocate the rack directly in front of it.

You also need to maintain a width of at least 30" left to right, or the width of the actual equipment (whichever is larger)

Ray, the rack will sit underneath, not in front of nor beside. Breakers will still be easily reachable.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 12:10:48 AM »

Ray, the rack will sit underneath, not in front of nor beside. Breakers will still be easily reachable.

Underneath the panel on the floor does not allow a clear walking space in front of the box. The floor must be kept clear in front of the panel.

Mac

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 07:32:54 AM »

As noted, "clearance" as used in the related sections of the NEC means the floor area being open.  Also, how do you envision addressing the audio cabling and power for the rack?  Is there a receptacle on the other wall that is not visible in the picture and is there sufficient cable length along with an acceptable associated path in order to get the cable to the proposed location?

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »

As noted, "clearance" as used in the related sections of the NEC means the floor area being open.  Also, how do you envision addressing the audio cabling and power for the rack?  Is there a receptacle on the other wall that is not visible in the picture and is there sufficient cable length along with an acceptable associated path in order to get the cable to the proposed location?

They are expecting me to extend cables (mic, speaker, power) from current location near rack, to the right, over the door and around. Yes, this would mean running all 3 types together along the wall and over the door.
The main thing is that they plan to knock a window in this wall to install organ pipes and windbox.

Can anyone get me a link to appropriate section of NEC code? (I'm about to google it in a minute.)
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »

Can anyone get me a link to appropriate section of NEC code? (I'm about to google it in a minute.)
Never mind, found the info, forwarded to client.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »

The main thing is that they plan to knock a window in this wall to install organ pipes and windbox.
Do you mean an opening to the main space?  Do they have an Architect involved?  I recently ran into a similar situation on a project where the fire rated wall for an assembly space was the wall to the storage room and when we knocked a hole in that wall for a through-wall equipment rack they had to upgrade the storage room wall construction to provide the require fire rating.  I'd check to make sure they aren't potentially cutting a hole in a fire rated wall.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »

You can't put it where they want it...period. 

They haven't a prayer...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »

What's it sitting on?? Looks like a storage bin.  ???

My first thought is to hang it on a wall someplace but I can't see what the rest of the room looks like or how big it is. You guys are right on about the NEC clearance violation of Art 110(26). 6.5 feet high from the floor, 30 inches wide and 3 feet in front.

-Hal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.