ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone useing connect series whirlwind digital snakes?  (Read 19121 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: anyone useing connect series whirlwind digital snakes?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »

There's one big advantage to a digital snake with the mic preamps in the snake...the signal going to the board is already amplified. With a copper snake it doesn't get amplified until it reaches the physical inputs on the console.

How is that a "big advantage"? Perhaps a small advantage one for enormously long runs, but certainly not a big advantage. Have you ever encountered a "big" problem due to a quality analog run <250 feet?

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »

How is that a "big advantage"? Perhaps a small advantage one for enormously long runs, but certainly not a big advantage. Have you ever encountered a "big" problem due to a quality analog run <250 feet?

I don't know the exact length of the run although I believe it is at least 250 feet. My church as well as another church we work with both moved from big, long analog snakes to digital and noticed a substantial improvement in sound quality.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »

I don't know the exact length of the run although I believe it is at least 250 feet. My church as well as another church we work with both moved from big, long analog snakes to digital and noticed a substantial improvement in sound quality.

What snake did they use?
Did anything else get changed too?
250' is a pretty long way, even with convoluted routing in a building. What is the straight line distance from the mix position to the stage end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »

What snake did they use?
Did anything else get changed too?
250' is a pretty long way, even with convoluted routing in a building. What is the straight line distance from the mix position to the stage end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know the exact distance, but the snake had to wrap all the way around the room since FOH was in one corner and the stage was in the opposite corner. I don't know about the other church but in our building it was ran through a bunch of metal tubing along the walls.

So even though the distance from the audio booth to the stage was probably 40-50 feet, the distance from dog-house to under-stage had to be several times that.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »

I don't know the exact distance, but the snake had to wrap all the way around the room since FOH was in one corner and the stage was in the opposite corner. I don't know about the other church but in our building it was ran through a bunch of metal tubing along the walls.

So even though the distance from the audio booth to the stage was probably 40-50 feet, the distance from dog-house to under-stage had to be several times that.

You also changed your mixer, and considering you got a Roland, I can't imagine your old snake was too high end. Theres a huge logical problem simply attributing that to your digital snake. In my experience, if deployment and transportation are not an issue, and the run is not an excessive length or number of inputs, digital snakes hooked up to analog consoles only offer a higher price tag and more complexity regarding preamp control. There is a way in which the market has spoken as well.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »

You also changed your mixer, and considering you got a Roland, I can't imagine your old snake was too high end. Theres a huge logical problem simply attributing that to your digital snake. In my experience, if deployment and transportation are not an issue, and the run is not an excessive length or number of inputs, digital snakes hooked up to analog consoles only offer a higher price tag and more complexity regarding preamp control. There is a way in which the market has spoken as well.

We had a Mackie TT24 before the Roland. I have no idea what brand of snake we had, it could very well have been something cheap. Regardless, the difference was NOT subtle. I would be surprised if the difference was purely from the board, since peoples' opinions on the Mackie are that it's a pretty decent console, especially for its time.

The other church I mentioned claimed a substantial difference going to digital snake as well, but I don't know what console they had before. That church doesn't really skimp on their audio at all, and has a system easily 5 times the cost of ours, so I imagine their old analog snake was of higher quality than ours, but I can't verify that.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »

It is completely silly to get on a forum and say well, we changed our preamps, our input and output converters converters, our processing, and our snake, but I'm 'pretty sure' I can make a reliable generalization that its the snake that improved the sound significantly. Our business is so subjective already, we can't afford to make such speculations.

Jason, not trying to be confrontational here, but stick to what you know. I don't happen to think there's much difference between running through my analog snake, or running right into my Si desk,
but I don't have the digital snake for a
real comparison (which is already subjective enough) so I chose not
to mention it. It's frustrating to see you make claims like that, when you really just don't know.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:58:34 PM by Samuel Rees »

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »

It is completely silly to get on a forum and say well, we changed our preamps, our input and output converters converters, our processing, and our snake, but I'm 'pretty sure' I can make a reliable generalization that its the snake that improved the sound significantly. Our business is so subjective already, we can't afford to make such speculations.

Jason, not trying to be confrontational here, but stick to what you know. I don't happen to think there's much difference between running through my analog snake, or running right into my Si desk,
but I don't have the digital snake for a
real comparison (which is already subjective enough) so I chose not
to mention it. It's frustrating to see you make claims like that, when you really just don't know.

I never said I believed that the snake was the sole reason that our sound improved. I am however certain that it was a major contributing factor.

I also never said all digital snakes are clearly better than analog snakes.

I'm pointing out that there are advantages and in some cases noticeable differences in sound quality, as myself and others have experienced.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:06:26 PM by Jason Lucas »

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »

I never said I believed that the snake was the sole reason that our sound improved. I am however certain that it was a major contributing factor.

I also never said all digital snakes are clearly better than analog snakes.

I'm pointing out that there are advantages and in some cases noticeable differences in sound quality, as myself and others have experienced.

You and I must have a very different personal burden of proof for "certainty"!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:09:16 PM by Samuel Rees »

Chris Britton

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »

The 32 channel connect series snake system (transmitter + receiver) would run you back $6285.

the quote i have for my extra stage boxes on 50' sub snakes, plus the patching cables I'll need at FOH AND the connect 32 T/R are 2k$ less than that #

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.