ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EDM Install suggestions  (Read 17564 times)

Josh Billings

Re: EDM Install suggestions
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »

Considering the budget and the size of the room, adding new subs/amps/processor would be the only route I'd consider. You could really make a noticeable difference, even to the guys standing at the bar who think their car stereo is pro-audio.

True, but a recone or two + a paint job is generally still WAY cheaper than buying new.

I agree that subs are a big priority but, the weak 80-200 hz area of the turbosound cabinets really bothers me. Just feels like they need something more substantial.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »

True, but a recone or two + a paint job is generally still WAY cheaper than buying new.

I agree that subs are a big priority but, the weak 80-200 hz area of the turbosound cabinets really bothers me. Just feels like they need something more substantial.
Hey-it's your money (or somebody you work for).  Just don't get hungup on things that don't matter to others.

If you get new subs-you could raise the highpass on the Turbo "subs" to take some of the strain off of them.

You said you have "power"-but what does that really mean?  Most modern subs need a good sized amp to get the most out of them-it might help if you gave some model numbers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sean Hennessey

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »

Hey-it's your money (or somebody you work for).  Just don't get hungup on things that don't matter to others.

If you get new subs-you could raise the highpass on the Turbo "subs" to take some of the strain off of them.

You said you have "power"-but what does that really mean?  Most modern subs need a good sized amp to get the most out of them-it might help if you gave some model numbers.

PLUS 1.

Does power mean you have a rack of Peavey IPRS or worse?  or does power mean you have PL380s for days, or at least a stack of macrotechs?   What do you have for power amps specifically.  It may indeed be wise to keep those tsw118s as "kickbins" if the floodlights really do drop like rocks below 160. 

8x labhorns, 4 per side, plus tsw118s from the 70/80 to 170 range sounds nice.  then you still have budget to pay someone to actually set it up correctly.

but I think we (or rather, the more experienced members who actually know what they are talking aboug) need more info of the current gear inventory and room dimensions.  10 to 15 k is still peanuts for a LOW and LOUD system for 600 if you are going the commercial route and need a full system overhaul.  Also,  how does competition look in your area?  what are you trying to beat?

Josh Billings

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 10:18:55 PM »

PLUS 1.

Does power mean you have a rack of Peavey IPRS or worse?  or does power mean you have PL380s for days, or at least a stack of macrotechs?   What do you have for power amps specifically.  It may indeed be wise to keep those tsw118s as "kickbins" if the floodlights really do drop like rocks below 160. 

8x labhorns, 4 per side, plus tsw118s from the 70/80 to 170 range sounds nice.  then you still have budget to pay someone to actually set it up correctly.

but I think we (or rather, the more experienced members who actually know what they are talking aboug) need more info of the current gear inventory and room dimensions.  10 to 15 k is still peanuts for a LOW and LOUD system for 600 if you are going the commercial route and need a full system overhaul.  Also,  how does competition look in your area?  what are you trying to beat?

Competition is strong (F1, EAW DC, etc), but I don't think they need to blow everyone away...just play ball. They are definitely getting by now...but I'm picky and they want us to do more events there so I'm going to request an upgrade.

I'm fairly certain they are setup on power right now, so mainly this $10-15k would be for boxes. Processing we can probably get by on what they have as well (I believe it's an XTA unit).

8 LAB Horns will take up too much space. that's a 4'x16' chunk of dance floor. We can maybe take up half that.

Josh Billings

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »

If you feel the system is lacking 80-200, then something may be wrong with the TSW-118 setup. It should be crushing there.

It's a bass box, not a sub.  Even Turbosound's documentation refers to TSW-118 as a "bass enclosure".

Where are these bass boxes high passed?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

jason misterka

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »

If you feel the system is lacking 80-200, then something may be wrong with the TSW-118 setup. It should be crushing there.

It's a bass box, not a sub.  Even Turbosound's documentation refers to TSW-118 as a "bass enclosure".

Where are these bass boxes high passed?

I agree entirely.  Maybe they are working too hard down low to keep up otherwise but I have never had a problem making 100-400 out of a properly setup Floodlight rig.

chuck clark

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 01:58:07 AM »

Ok, something is out of whack here cause your making multiple statements that just don't make sence.
1. Floodlights are fantastic sounding speakers. perhaps yours have blown or replaced wired reverse polarity or not proper spec drivers?
2. Gunness focusing is primarily applied to mids and highs. Low end -not so much.
3. Properly powered and processed TSW 118s hit really HARD from 80 to 200 and are quite good down to 50hz and even a bit of useable at 40hz so something is very wrong. I suspect blown drivers or serious placement/phasing issues or both.
4. I did an EDM gig in Seattle (circa yr. 2000) at an 1800 seat theatre with 4 Floods and 4 TSW 118s per side. No problems. Had Crest 10001s for power on low end. Ok, there was no dub step then but we DID have bass mechanics CD's!
5. If you simply get the system right in there you should be able to just add some serious deep low subs and rock the house as several knowledgeable and experienced techs have suggested.
6. Floods are easily capable of being crossed as low as 100hz. I believe ours were crossed at 120.
7. with your budget I would not worry about flying anything not already flown.
Good luck!

chuck clark

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »

"8 LAB Horns will take up too much space. that's a 4'x16' chunk of dance floor. We can maybe take up half that."

Is something preventing you from stacking them vertically?
Chuck

Josh Billings

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »

Ok, something is out of whack here cause your making multiple statements that just don't make sence.
1. Floodlights are fantastic sounding speakers. perhaps yours have blown or replaced wired reverse polarity or not proper spec drivers?
2. Gunness focusing is primarily applied to mids and highs. Low end -not so much.
3. Properly powered and processed TSW 118s hit really HARD from 80 to 200 and are quite good down to 50hz and even a bit of useable at 40hz so something is very wrong. I suspect blown drivers or serious placement/phasing issues or both.
4. I did an EDM gig in Seattle (circa yr. 2000) at an 1800 seat theatre with 4 Floods and 4 TSW 118s per side. No problems. Had Crest 10001s for power on low end. Ok, there was no dub step then but we DID have bass mechanics CD's!
5. If you simply get the system right in there you should be able to just add some serious deep low subs and rock the house as several knowledgeable and experienced techs have suggested.
6. Floods are easily capable of being crossed as low as 100hz. I believe ours were crossed at 120.
7. with your budget I would not worry about flying anything not already flown.
Good luck!

1. Personally never been a fan of the older Turbosound products. They have a horn character to them that I don't find appealing. The new aspect boxes are impressive though.
2. Yeah I know that. Not looking for anything other than stronger sub 50hz performance from new subs
3. There is no lack of the "bass" area of the TSWs. However when those subs are replaced, the new subs will probably end their job at ~100hz leaving a very important hole between 100-200 hz (dance music lives here).

I GUESS we could keep two of the TSWs and and throw some SUB subs under them to get down to 30 hz. Just seems like an overly complicated setup with more boxes than necessary + like a mentioned before, personally not a big fan of the older turbosound "sound"

Josh Billings

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »

I'm fairly certain they are setup on power right now,
You are "fairly certain" about the power.

BASED ON WHAT?  DO you mean they have extra amps that are just sitting around?

What MODELS are they?  I ask-because in the days of the Turbo rig they have-the amps were not very large-as compared to what is needed today.

What makes you SURE they have the amps?  And if they have spare amps sitting around-and you use them-then they no longer have any spares.

It just sounds confusing to me-------------------------------

Are you SURE the current system is working properly and fully?  That would be a good first start.  Have you checked all the wiring to make sure it is in polarity?  Have you gone through cabinet by cabinet to make sure they are in polarity?

Things like this are cheap and quick.

Just jumping on "lets buy some used speakers because we don't have much money" is NOT a good approach-especially when you have a system like you do.

Remember-put the money to where it will do the most good and spend it wisely young grasshopper-since you don't have much.

The 10-15K budget-is that YOUR number or the OWNERS?

I feel you need to look a bit harder at what is REALLY going on and needed.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.