ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EDM Install suggestions  (Read 17570 times)

Bernard Fernand

Re: EDM Install suggestions
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »

Electro-Voice SX300PI
2-way Compact Loudspeaker, 12" (All-Weather Version,) SX300-PI

The Sx300PI is a continuation of the popular the Sx-series offering the added value of weather-resistant cabinets. The Electro-Voice Sx300PI is a 300-watt, 12-inch, two-way, high-efficiency, constant directivity speaker system for permanent installation. Through the extensive use of computer-aided design and modeling, Electro-Voice engineers have developed a state-of-the-art professional loudspeaker system for permanent installation where weather resistance is needed

1200w peak 600w pgm 80-20000hz the sad thing is 129db long term

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »

To clarify:

I'm pretty sure we can work with the given amplification the venue has, so really this budget is pretty much a speaker swap situation and MIGHT include a processor if we go the Gunnness Focusing route.

I really feel they need new subs that have 30hz performance

The tops won't work, and I've never been a fan of the sound of those turbosound boxes. Looking for boxes that have response down to 80 hz or so that will get into the 130db+ (long term on paper) range.

I've been looking at the Danley products and think there are some good options there, but nothing really available on the used market unfortunately (and I'm sure new would blow the budget).

Josh Billings
Here is an approach I often recommend.  Figure out what will make the biggest difference to the PERSON SPENDING THE MONEY-NOT the audio guys who want some new "toys".

This way you can make a big impression that THEY can hear-and will be willing to come up with more money to improve the rest of the system.

So given what what we know-if you get some (or one) serious sub to gete the extra extension-then it will be easy to hear the difference and the "average club goer) will make positive comments.

It may just be my opinion-but replacing the tops will (to the average person) make a minimal difference.

Spend the money where it will make the biggest difference FIRST.  If you don't, then it will be a lot harder to get more money later.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

paul bell

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »

I do a lot of EDM events. I'd suggest you try to get below 30Hz. 25Hz seems to be the range of some program I've encountered lately. Our friends at BASSMAXX have become very well versed at the range that EDM reaches down to.

jason misterka

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »

Electro-Voice SX300PI

The Sx300PI is a continuation of the popular the Sx-series offering the added value of weather-resistant cabinets. The Electro-Voice Sx300PI is a 300-watt, 12-inch, two-way, high-efficiency, constant directivity speaker system for permanent installation. Through the extensive use of computer-aided design and modeling, Electro-Voice engineers have developed a state-of-the-art professional loudspeaker system for permanent installation where weather resistance is needed

No offence intended but did you post this in the correct thread?  I own many different types of speakers including different EV SX and ZX.  An EDM system for 600 people they are not.

Jason

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »

I do a lot of EDM events. I'd suggest you try to get below 30Hz. 25Hz seems to be the range of some program I've encountered lately. Our friends at BASSMAXX have become very well versed at the range that EDM reaches down to.

I'm sure the OP's budget could get him into a pair of powered BASSMAXX.  Or something else that's at least solid down to 30 Hz.

He should also have sufficient budget to bring in someone for a system tuneup.  What crossover is there now?

I agree with Ivan that replacing the tops won't make much difference to the punters, but the new solid bass will be immediately noticeable. 

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

jason misterka

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »

I really feel they need new subs that have 30hz performance

The tops won't work, and I've never been a fan of the sound of those turbosound boxes. Looking for boxes that have response down to 80 hz or so that will get into the 130db+ (long term on paper) range.

Josh Billings

Well, if you are against them I won't spend much time trying to change your mind.  But when we had Floodlights in our inventory, swapping from our BSS Omnidrive and older QSC PL amps to XTA processing with larger Lab Gruppen fP amps (more headroom) was a huge upgrade, and gave a whole new life to the system.  Night and day.

The Flood/Flashlight system was also designed as a five-way rig with additional subs.

If it was me, depending on the processor you already have, I would cross your existing subs from 70-160 and add some real LF between 25-70hz.  Treat your existing system as a full range box and build below that.

But some like raspberries and some like blueberries.

Jason

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »

I agree with Ivan that replacing the tops won't make much difference to the punters, but the new solid bass will be immediately noticeable.
As the saying goes " Treble (no matter how good it is) don't get the party started".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 07:01:37 PM »

Part of the problem with buying used is you really don't know what you are getting.  The drivers could be worn out-or on the verge of failure.  Getting them up to "working speed" could be expensive-or not-it depends.

Some things are fine to buy used-but speakers are something that I would be very careful with.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 08:31:50 PM »

Considering the budget and the size of the room, adding new subs/amps/processor would be the only route I'd consider. You could really make a noticeable difference, even to the guys standing at the bar who think their car stereo is pro-audio.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Josh Billings

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »

Electro-Voice SX300PI

While I appreciate the feedback, this isn't anywhere close to what is required for this venue.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.